Shanghai 13 (1985)

Guest gfanikf

there's also a Fullscreen OS VHS with remastered Subtitles, which are fully readable. that is the best Version to get if you need a subbed Version (beware, it also exists with lousy Cantonese Dubbing)

• Like 1

I own the Ocean Shores vhs. It's fullscreen and horribly dubbed (it literally sounds like one guy did ALL of the voices (without bothering to alter his voice one iota). I had asked someone more knowledgeable than myself many years ago if there was a widescreen print available. He told me that as far as he knew it was filmed in fullscreen and that it was originally made for T.V. Can anyone shed some light on this 'cause that never sounded right.

• Like 1

I own the Ocean Shores vhs. It's fullscreen and horribly dubbed (it literally sounds like one guy did ALL of the voices (without bothering to alter his voice one iota). I had asked someone more knowledgeable than myself many years ago if there was a widescreen print available. He told me that as far as he knew it was filmed in fullscreen and that it was originally made for T.V. Can anyone shed some light on this 'cause that never sounded right.

Shanghai 13, a made-for-tv movie?! That would be an interesting twist for this film. I don't recall Chang Cheh ever doing television but I could be wrong. If only we could come across someone that was involved in the production of Shanghai 13...

• Like 1

Shanghai 13, a made-for-tv movie?! That would be an interesting twist for this film. I don't recall Chang Cheh ever doing television but I could be wrong. If only we could come across someone that was involved in the production of Shanghai 13...

This was what I was told about 15 years ago and my guy wasn't 100% sure about it. He may well have been wrong but judging by the way the film looks, it's food for thought.

• Like 1

hello all,

i heard many years ago this film was made because Cheng Cheh was broke. all $$ was giving to him. but this rumor came out in the 80's. i'm an old collector.

• Like 1

Shanghai 13 being a TV-Fullscreen Movie is absolute Rubbish. the Credits on my VCD are in 2.35, the DVD i have is HORRIBLY cropped on both sides so the Subs are not readable (how could they be cut off it is'a Fullscreen Print Movie originally?). also the OS VHS is Pan-Scan to show the best Viewing Angle of the cropped Frame. it also has a splice line in every shot change which only unmatted 2.35 Movies have.

whoever claimed that must be a nut or lying.

• Like 1

Ref:June's above assertion:

Shanghai 13 wasnt the movie that was made to get money for finacially stricken Chang Cheh, that was the mediocre Heroic Bloodshed John Woo/Wu Ma directed Just Heroes. Thats why so many of Chang's proteges-including the directors were involved-hell they even got antagonistic Ti Lung to shake his former comrade David Chiang by the hand-instead of by the neck which I am sure Ti Lung would have preferred.

As for Shanghai 13 looking (or being) like a TV movie, no it just looks like an average cheapo Taiwan flik with one of the greatest casts ever assembled and stunning fight action.

• Like 1

Shanghai 13 being a TV-Fullscreen Movie is absolute Rubbish. the Credits on my VCD are in 2.35, the DVD i have is HORRIBLY cropped on both sides so the Subs are not readable (how could they be cut off it is'a Fullscreen Print Movie originally?). also the OS VHS is Pan-Scan to show the best Viewing Angle of the cropped Frame. it also has a splice line in every shot change which only unmatted 2.35 Movies have.

whoever claimed that must be a nut or lying.

Well, that certaintly dispells that myth....

• Like 1

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I re-started this S-13 thread.

A lot of interesting thoughts on this movie and its format have come to light.

Could someone tell me what other Chang Cheh movies were made in Taiwan?

GD Y-Y

"As for Shanghai 13 looking (or being) like a TV movie, no it just looks like an average cheapo Taiwan flik with one of the greatest casts ever assembled and stunning fight action". popsjnr

You got it right popsjnr!

GD Y-Y

• Like 1

I watched this for the first time yesterday. I loved it! Pretty much non-stop action. As a kung fu spectacle, it's 10/10. As a film I would go down to a 7.5/10 just because I didn't understand what was going on half the time. I partially blame that on the dubbing though. I just wished I'd gotten to know the '13' a little more. And there's no big payoff shot of all 13 together in one scene, which would've rocked. Maybe a flashback before everything went down. If this movie had the structure of something like Bodyguards and Assassins, it would've been the greatest film ever! But it's still awesome.

Also, was it just me or was the end fight really sped up? The choreography was great, but it seemed to be moving just a bit too fast!

• Like 1

Actually the dubbing should have made things clear as day. Confusing where? Gao has documents that will hurt his now former employer, so to speak. He needs to get away. The 13 Rascals will help get him away. They are secret undercover type folks, not friends, but tied by association. That's why they would never have been together.

Each one passes off, as one loses to fate. Loved that about it. Really drawns you in as you really don't expect it to go like that, to these guys that you know so well.

CC made Joyful Goddess, Shanghai 13, Death Ring with Lu Feng and Nine Demons in Taiwan, before going to the mainland to create his final team. I think Dancing Warrior was partially done in HK.

• Like 1

Actually the dubbing should have made things clear as day. Confusing where? Gao has documents that will hurt his now former employer, so to speak. He needs to get away. The 13 Rascals will help get him away. They are secret undercover type folks, not friends, but tied by association. That's why they would never have been together.

It was the characters I was having a hard time with. Who's double crossing who now? I barely got to see their faces in the first place. And I think someone else pointed out that the dubbing sounds like the same guy doing all the voices. I had a hard time getting into the movie at first because of the dub.

I appreciate you clarifying that they aren't actually friends. I must have missed that.

• Like 1

It's ashame they didnt do the real story of the Shanghai 13, they didnt steal anything to do with the Japanese army-they stole the Jade Seal from the Forbidden City and got it to Taiwan, a symbolic victory that kicked off the 1911 revolution against the Ching

Maybe they changed the basis of the legend so that Wang Yu could bash up some more Japs!!!

• Like 1

It's all good and well posting a clip, but where can the fans get their grubby paws on this film?

This is definitely number one on my "To watch" list. Of course, now I know Chiang Sheng dies in the film, but that has not deterred me in the slightest.

• Like 1

More like Bodyguards & Assassins and Expendables. I must have this version. Must have it. Someone find out quick. Spannick posts here so, give up the goods.

• Like 1

More like Bodyguards & Assassins and Expendables. I must have this version. Must have it. Someone find out quick. Spannick posts here so, give up the goods.

Japs DVD, was just released. Just wait for the unevitable Red Sun or whatever bootlegs if you need it english-friendly...

• Like 1

Reel Power Stunts

I'm sure someone will do a custom on this soon. The English dub of this is hardly rare, I imagine someone will add that track as an option on a custom DVD. Perhaps not ideal, but easier and quicker than doing subs.

• Like 1

I was going to place an order with cdjapan.co.jp for this after New Years, but if someone can turn this into a custom DVD with English, I can wait...

• Like 1