Shanghai 13 (1985)

Guest gfanikf

how is this movie btw? This is the one with the dream cast right?

Say what!? Dude this film suffers from a good plot.....but the fight scenes KICK ASS!!!!:xd:

Rnaq6rD85lg

• Like 1

Well, not all of it actually...the soundtrack used in one of my all-time favorite Chang Cheh films, SHANGHAI 13, is sourced from 3 or more different places.

First off, the guitar groove from the film's opening credits is "Jam Sandwich" by the legendary Jimmy Page from the DEATH WISH 2 soundtrack and the tune used when the Black Sniper(Danny Lee) is setting up to shoot Mr. Gau(Chiang Ming), is "Chase" also by Jimmy Page courtesy of the DEATH WISH 2 soundtrack.

Next, in the slow-motion scene where The Young Master(Lee Chung Yat) kills the Leopard(Chi Kuan Chun), that tune is "009 Gets The Knife And Gorbinda Attacks" by John Barry from the OCTOPUSSY soundtrack.

The following music still isn't found:

1- A musical piece used in the beginning of the film as Black Hat(Jimmy Wang Yu) and Mr. Gau steal the secret document.

2- A sad strings piece used when The Student(Andy Lau) lays mortally wounded in the arms of his girlfriend.

3- The suspenseful piano used when The Butcher(Cheng Tien Chi) kills The Young Leopard(Sonny Yue).

4- An upbeat string piece used at the very end when The Dock Boss(Ti Lung) and Mr. Gau walk off to board the boat to Hong Kong.

Any ideas?

Thanks for all that info Shaolivevil. This is one of my favorite movies.

• Like 1

spearman lo tat

thanks Shaolivevil for this thread and thanks Monk Sante for the link. the music in Shanghai 13 is way too fonky!

Shaolivevil, i don't know if you listen to hip-hop, but as a hip-hop head, i would love to hear the Wu Tang Clan or specifically Ghostface Killah rap over the music during the scene with Wang Yu (#1 on your list). they wouldn't even have to sample it or 'chop' the music up. all they would need to do is rap over the music!

and shapes, i will definitely check out 'Cornbread, Earl, and Me'. since Ghostface already used some music from that movie ('Black Jesus), just maybe it's possible that the idea to use the 'Black Hat' music is in the Wu's pool of ideas!

• Like 1

Was this movie. I just watched it again for the first time in years. The Kung Fu is great but the movie as a whole is shit. Was it Lau Kar Wing that did the fights? I dont believe my OS tape had the fight director in the credits. Was nice to see the HUGE cast though!

• Like 1

instant noodles

Is there decent DVD release around?I have seen only fullscreen dubbed Eastern Heroes vhs.Movie kicks butt big time:angel:

• Like 1

Was this movie. I just watched it again for the first time in years. The Kung Fu is great but the movie as a whole is shit. Was it Lau Kar Wing that did the fights? I dont believe my OS tape had the fight director in the credits. Was nice to see the HUGE cast though!

HKMDB lists the action directors:

Lau Kar-Wing

Chiang Sheng

Lu Feng

Wong Gwok-Chue

Ricky Cheng Tien-Chi

• Like 1

Cool. Thanks. Again the fights were top notch. Just not a fan of the story and some parts are really corny/stupid! Danny Lee as the assassin. He is SO far away and SO high up that you just cant see him. SHIT! :squigglemouth:

• Like 1

Trailer to Mikael Håfström's latest movie starring John Cusack, Chow Yun-Fat, Gong Li and Ken Watanabe.

oEmU2VcJz24

• Like 1

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Shanghai 13.

Re-watched this two nights ago.

Must admit after not seeing this in so many years I was still blown away by the amazing fights that Chang Che orchestrated. Once this thing takes off its off to the races.

I put this in the Shaw's Forum because of the cream of the crop of past Shaw actors in S-13.

I am surprised that Mark has not done a review of this Chang Che masterpiece.

Your thoughts on this gem.

GD Y-Y

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

To be fair, it wasn't really Chang Cheh "orchestrating" the fights in his movies!

In the instance of Shanghai 13, it was Lau Kar-Wing, Chiang Sheng, Lu Feng, Wong Gwok Chue and Ricky Cheng Tien Chi.

• Like 1

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
To be fair, it wasn't really Chang Cheh "orchestrating" the fights in his movies!

In the instance of Shanghai 13, it was Lau Kar-Wing, Chiang Sheng, Lu Feng, Wong Gwok Chue and Ricky Cheng Tien Chi.

Thanks for the clarification

And thanks for the stills Teako.

GD Y-Y.

• Like 1

thedirtytiger

I have the Thai poster for Shanghai 13, got anything good to swap for it ?

There is a wide print in existence and the infamous Toby knows where it is, but as to whether anything will ever been done with it....? Toby stopped his releases due to piracy so he won't be releasing it anyway...

• Like 1

If there is a kung fu film I want to see more than any other, it's "Shanghai 13." Unfortunately, I, of course, have yet to get my grubby hands on it. I'm assuming that there is no legitimate version out there, correct?

• Like 1

18JadeArafats

Holy crap that movie looks amazing! Wow, Lau kar Wing and the Venoms choreographing together? Badass! I know what movie is tops on my to view list now!

• Like 1

There is/was a chinese lang/eng subbed dvd and the OS FS english version. The dvd has the subs off of the screen to the left and right ala the old vhs tapes of yore and the quality is not all that good. The OS is the way to go on this.

• Like 1