Shanghai 13 (1985)

Guest gfanikf

Yeah, I wish the Lu Feng interview was longer too,  I would have enjoyed to hear his comments about his choreography for this and working with Leung Kar Yan and Andy Lau.  Actually, I felt he hadn't aged too much considering. 

I love this movie more each time I see it. It's just so much fun and one of my kung fu comfort films. 

I added this at the end of my Shaw Brothers collection on my dvd shelf! Though technically not Shaws, of course; it still feels like a Shaws film. All it is missing is Produced by Mona Fong and the Shaws opening logo. As a matter of fact, the movie is missing the opening studio logo. On the Terracotta dvd, it just starts. 

• Like 4

As much as I hate to say it, I think "Shanghai 13" is one of those films that has excellent fight scenes but everything else is a bit dreary. The plot meanders a bit and I can see it being a movie that benefits from copious fast forwarding in the future.
A shame really, since the fights are spectacular and the all-star cast is a rare treat. Seeing so any legends on screen at the same time really is something that heightens the pleasure gotten from the film but, sadly, I don't think it's enough.

• Like 4

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

As much as I hate to say it, I think "Shanghai 13" is one of those films that has excellent fight scenes but everything else is a bit dreary. The plot meanders a bit and I can see it being a movie that benefits from copious fast forwarding in the future.
A shame really, since the fights are spectacular and the all-star cast is a rare treat. Seeing so any legends on screen at the same time really is something that heightens the pleasure gotten from the film but, sadly, I don't think it's enough.

I respect that, Drunken Monk. :smile

I've skipped to parts of a scene (such as when Lu Feng busts on Leung Kar Yan... that's nice that LKY has a lot of ladies, but I want to bask in the chair fu instead.) 

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi
  • Like 3

This movie reminds me of movies like The Twilight Zone or Heavy Metal where you have different stories that make up the whole. Each "segment" in the film is almost like its own mini-movie inside the main film; separated by some really good fight scenes. :smile Most of the actors only appear in their own little segment of the film. Mr Ko and the stolen contract are the macguffin in the story. The only problem is that some of these mini stories in the film start to meander by adding things that really go nowhere. I thought that the story in the gambling house went on for a little too long. Also, the love story idea could have been trimmed down some. But, it is interesting why some of the characters had more screen time/back story than others. I wonder if there was more to this film and it was just edited down or perhaps the actors in the film only had a limited time to appear so they shot what they could. No idea. Still love the fight scenes and the story is good enough.

• Like 5

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

It kind of amazes me that Chang Cheh and Ni Kuang produced many simple stories for a good bulk of their films, before delving into slightly more complicated stories for a bit and then returning to very simple stories. 

This is one of those movies that I absolutely love downgearing to, because I don't have to think. Check my brain at the door, swoon over some of my favorite fu men, have a laugh and scoop my jaw up from the floor.  It's fun. 

While I may be the girl who loves characterization and a good story, I can toss that aside for pure entertainment. This is the kind of movie that I go to the movies for. Pure escapism. 

• Like 3

On 1/3/2016 at 0:29 AM, Morgoth Bauglir said:

Protect Mr Gao!  Run!

That's the plot for Shanghai 13.  

Ha ha ha very funny :laugh made my day but on closer scrutiny there is a wee bit more complexity and vital underlying issues than that :wink

• Like 3

Morgoth Bauglir

If I look at the "plot" a little bit closer, the only thing I can find is a small story about Ricky Cheng wanting to become the top assassin? around.  But it's so poorly done I usually wouldn't mention it.  

• Like 2

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
21 hours ago, Morgoth Bauglir said:

If I look at the "plot" a little bit closer, the only thing I can find is a small story about Ricky Cheng wanting to become the top assassin? around.  But it's so poorly done I usually wouldn't mention it.  

I thought Quick Blade's switch to the good guys was fun actually, but wanting to be the Top Rascal too...well now that makes me think...  Did he only switch sides so he could attempt to become the Top Rascal?

Darn it, Morgoth!  Now I will be thinking about Quick Blade's motives for awhile. :tongueout

• Like 2

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah I think the only reason Ricky Cheng's character shows up to the party is so he can fight Ti Lung.  His character is so damn cool I can overlook the lack of depth in his story.  

• Like 2

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
36 minutes ago, Morgoth Bauglir said:

Yeah I think the only reason Ricky Cheng's character shows up to the party is so he can fight Ti Lung.  His character is so damn cool I can overlook the lack of depth in his story.

Agreed, since that is his choreography all over that final fight too added bonus. :smile

• Like 2

dionbrother

Not the best Chang Cheh movie but it's one of the more fun movies to watch, simply because you get a wide sampling of different performers doing their thing.  The funny exception is Wang Yu spending four minutes picking a lock instead of fighting!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

BornToDefense

Can't watch this movie without obsessing over the fact that (I'm pretty sure) Chen Kuan-Tai's house here and Chen Kuan-Tai's house in Death Ring are the exact same set. There's a certain depressed quality to this, Death Ring and Dancing Warrior (which is one of my favorite CC films for reasons I prob can't fully explain). But it's always interesting seeing a filmmaker working with nothing but the bare essentials (and here they're very bare), and of course the fights are excellent as everyone has pointed out. I've heard this referred to as a charity movie for CC ala Just Heroes but I've never seen any evidence of it.

Edited by BornToDefense
  • Like 3