Shanghai 13 (1985)

Guest gfanikf

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Thanks to Kung Fu Bob for the all region blu ray player recommendation. It's a great little player. I christened it with the Terracotta Shanghai 13 dvd which is great.

I love this movie ( think this my favorite role of David Chiangs' too. )

Lu looks great. I wish the interview was longer and I am surprised they did not talk about Shanghai 13. I'll repeat, I am bummed the man retired for more than a few reasons, but too because his reaction time is still very, very good.

I'm so glad that worked out for you! :wink: I hope you get years of service from it.

Yeah, this movie was just so amazing (slow start, but worth the wait).

To respond to your comment about Lu Feng's interview not being specifically relevant to the film- from what I understand, many interviews with the old school stars are thanks to Toby Russell, and are often just done on the fly. He runs into someone and does a general interview, then later they are obtained for use on different films. So a lot of the time he tends to ask them less film specific questions. Anyway, like you, I was thrilled to see the interviews and also wish they had been longer. I could watch/listen to these guys talk for a long time about these films.

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
I'm so glad that worked out for you! :wink: I hope you get years of service from it.

Yeah, this movie was just so amazing (slow start, but worth the wait).

To respond to your comment about Lu Feng's interview not being specifically relevant to the film- from what I understand, many interviews with the old school stars are thanks to Toby Russell, and are often just done on the fly. He runs into someone and does a general interview, then later they are obtained for use on different films. So a lot of the time he tends to ask them less film specific questions. Anyway, like you, I was thrilled to see the interviews and also wish they had been longer. I could watch/listen to these guys talk for a long time about these films.

Thanks for the information about the interview and Toby Russell. I know what to expect now with future interviews. As someone who loves hearing performers/actors talk about their roles and performances, I am in the same camp. I could watch many more hours of conversation.

Am I correct in thinking the interview with Lu is from Toby's Venoms documentary? (And will that be released officially at some point?)

Yes, I enjoy Shanghai 13 more each time I watch it as I start to recognize more of the talent involved. It's an addictive, fun film too.

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Am I correct in thinking the interview with Lu is from Toby's Venoms documentary? (And will that be released officially at some point?)

Good questions. I'm not sure, I haven't seen it yet myself, and I'd definitely like to. I'll ask him about it.

Yes, I enjoy Shanghai 13 more each time I watch it as I start to recognize more of the talent involved. It's an addictive, fun film too.

It's a goof film to introduce people to lots of great on-screen fighters. Though Jimmy Wang Yu, who plays the safe-cracker in the beginning, doesn't get to do any action in the film.

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
Good questions. I'm not sure, I haven't seen it yet myself, and I'd definitely like to. I'll ask him about it.

Not surprised you know him. :bigsmile: I'd buy that documentary sight unseen.

Another Shanghai 13 cast recognition moment: Ti Lung. (So used to seeing him in WuXia it took a little while to register.)

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Not surprised you know him. :bigsmile: I'd buy that documentary sight unseen.

He's on the forum here sometimes too. I've asked him about it, but no answer yet.

Another Shanghai 13 cast recognition moment: Ti Lung. (So used to seeing him in WuXia it took a little while to register.)

Haha ha ha... Ti Lung in "sailor mode". :wink: My introduction to him was quite the opposite of most people's, as I believe I first saw him in A BETTER TOMORROW and it's sequel. I remember thinking he looked especially badass during a brief bit with a katana, and that he handled it really well for a modern-day, gun-fight actor. Imagine my surprise when I saw him later saw him in a Shaw Brothers movie- I think it was in either THE DUEL or AVENGING EAGLE- and realized it was the same guy. :tongue:

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
He's on the forum here sometimes too. I've asked him about it, but no answer yet.

Haha ha ha... Ti Lung in "sailor mode". :wink: My introduction to him was quite the opposite of most people's, as I believe I first saw him in A BETTER TOMORROW and it's sequel. I remember thinking he looked especially badass during a brief bit with a katana, and that he handled it really well for a modern-day, gun-fight actor. Imagine my surprise when I saw him later saw him in a Shaw Brothers movie- I think it was in either THE DUEL or AVENGING EAGLE- and realized it was the same guy. :tongue:

If and when Toby answers, great.

Yes, Ti Lung the sailor man. Now you make me want to see A BETTER TOMORROW. That's always fun to discover an actor is something else than what you thought they were with the initial viewing.

BTW, all of your film recommendations were quite good (esp. Avenging Eagle.)

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
If and when Toby answers, great.

Yes, Ti Lung the sailor man. Now you make me want to see A BETTER TOMORROW. That's always fun to discover an actor is something else than what you thought they were with the initial viewing.

BTW, all of your film recommendations were quite good (esp. Avenging Eagle.)

Cool! Glad you dug them.

Yeah, A BETTER TOMORROW was my first John Woo film, and it holds a special place in my heart. It feels very much like a Chang Cheh (Woo worked under him) "Heroic Brotherhood" Shaw Brothers film to me, but set in modern times, and played out with 9mm.'s instead of swords. In fact, check out the alternate titles for it: aka. The Color of a Hero, Gangland Boss, True Colors of a Hero. Ti Lung, Chow Yun-Fat and Leslie Cheung are fantastic as the leads.

As for the "seeing stuff out of order" thing... I saw DIRTY HARRY in the theater with my Dad, and when he saw how much I loved it he kept that in mind. Next time they showed a Clint Eastwood spaghetti western on TV he called me in to watch it. Again- mind blown! "That's Dirty Harry on a horse!" :nerd:

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer

I also have KFB to thank for introducing me to 'Shanghai 13', and have been eternally grateful ever since, fantastic movie which reads like a who's who of kung-fu cinema.

On top of that, I also share his experience of 'A Better Tomorrow' being my first introduction to Ti Lung (although I think the katana scene being referred to is actually from the sequel, not the original). The third movie (after ABT I & II) I saw him in was actually as Jackie Chan's father in 'Drunken Master 2', so it was a more than pleasant surprise when I started watching the Celestial releases of Shaw Brothers movies.

My first Ti Lung Shaw flick was 'Blood Brothers', and I was soon up to my neck in his Chang Cheh Iron Triangle flicks and his Chu Yuan wuxia's...of which I still haven't seen all of them!

• Like 1

Lady Bufa Chung Yao

The first time I watched Shanghai 13 (Joysales awful version, with subtitles almost impossible to read during the whole movie), I must confess that I hadn't recognized Ti Lung either, though his face was familiar to me, since I had already watched a lot of Shaws' movies, but well..with the " sailor mode ", it wasn't evident at first sight...

Another movie in which he shows his talents (in leather black clothes and showing his muscles...) without being in a wuxia : Shatter aka Call him Mr Shatter. You should enjoy this one too, though the bigger role is for Stuart Whitman (of course, an American movie couldn't have a Chinese hero...), but well, he is still good in it and one can't miss him when watching the movie...

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
Cool! Glad you dug them.

Yeah, A BETTER TOMORROW was my first John Woo film, and it holds a special place in my heart. It feels very much like a Chang Cheh (Woo worked under him) "Heroic Brotherhood" Shaw Brothers film to me, but set in modern times, and played out with 9mm.'s instead of swords. In fact, check out the alternate titles for it: aka. The Color of a Hero, Gangland Boss, True Colors of a Hero. Ti Lung, Chow Yun-Fat and Leslie Cheung are fantastic as the leads.

As for the "seeing stuff out of order" thing... I saw DIRTY HARRY in the theater with my Dad, and when he saw how much I loved it he kept that in mind. Next time they showed a Clint Eastwood spaghetti western on TV he called me in to watch it. Again- mind blown! "That's Dirty Harry on a horse!" :nerd:

A Better Tomorrow sounds pretty neat actually. Both yourself and One Armed Boxer are pushing me towards seeing A BETTER TOMORROW, but it'll have to wait a little while. I watched Kuo Chui's interview on the HARD BOILED blu ray and something he said about Woo's personality struck a chord (that Woo wanted Mad Dog to have a change of heart...) so that also makes me want to see more Woo. Eventually.

I also have KFB to thank for introducing me to 'Shanghai 13', and have been eternally grateful ever since, fantastic movie which reads like a who's who of kung-fu cinema.

On top of that, I also share his experience of 'A Better Tomorrow' being my first introduction to Ti Lung (although I think the katana scene being referred to is actually from the sequel, not the original). The third movie (after ABT I & II) I saw him in was actually as Jackie Chan's father in 'Drunken Master 2', so it was a more than pleasant surprise when I started watching the Celestial releases of Shaw Brothers movies.

My first Ti Lung Shaw flick was 'Blood Brothers', and I was soon up to my neck in his Chang Cheh Iron Triangle flicks and his Chu Yuan wuxia's...of which I still haven't seen all of them!

Well, seeing stuff out of order, I am guilty of that with Christopher Lee. I saw the Devil Rides Out first when I was very young and then The Three Muskateers. I was so sad that Duc di Richleau was now a bad guy. :cry:

Lady Bufa Chung Yao

The first time I watched Shanghai 13 (Joysales awful version, with subtitles almost impossible to read during the whole movie), I must confess that I hadn't recognized Ti Lung either, though his face was familiar to me, since I had already watched a lot of Shaws' movies, but well..with the " sailor mode ", it wasn't evident at first sight...

Another movie in which he shows his talents (in leather black clothes and showing his muscles...) without being in a wuxia : Shatter aka Call him Mr Shatter. You should enjoy this one too, though the bigger role is for Stuart Whitman (of course, an American movie couldn't have a Chinese hero...), but well, he is still good in it and one can't miss him when watching the movie...

ShawAngela,

Thank you for the additional Ti Lung recommendation. I picked up a few more of his Wuxia, but I like him enough to step out beyond his collaborations with John Woo. I will see if I can eventually find Shatter.

I also just realized he's Emperor Daun in the Shaw Brothers Brave Archer series (his monk variation really threw me for a loop.)

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

You are in for a treat with A Better Tomorrow. It's even better than Hardboiled IMO:eek:. Don't watch it English dubbed. I love dubs but this one sucks. You have so many amazing Ti Lung movies to watch like The Magic Blade and Delightful Forest. I wish I was you.

I'll have to check out Shatter ShawAngela. It sounds pretty cool and I've never heard of it.

• Like 1

PantherFist

Aaargh! *shakes tiny fist* I have been searching high and low for "Call Him Mr. Shatter" and I can't seem find it. After seeing the first Shaw/Hammer partnership production, I really wanted to see the second. (Does anyone know if Chen Kuan-tai would have been the featured star if the studios had fulfilled the contract and made the third movie?)

I'll be honest, the first one, "The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires," angered the heck out of me. It seemed like at every turn, they emasculated David Chiang. I know it won't be Oscar-worthy, but please tell me they redeemed themselves a little with "Shatter"?

As for Ti Lung, I still love him in THE DELIGHTFUL FOREST. In many of his roles, they cast him as the quiet/stoic type. In this one, he's a cocky rogue and it seems to suit him just fine.

• Like 1

DragonClaws
You are in for a treat with A Better Tomorrow. It's even better than Hardboiled IMO:eek:. Don't watch it English dubbed. I love dubs but this one sucks. You have so many amazing Ti Lung movies to watch like The Magic Blade and Delightful Forest. I wish I was you.

I'll have to check out Shatter ShawAngela. It sounds pretty cool and I've never heard of it.

Shatter was the second and last co-production between the British studio Hammer films & Shaw Brothers. I've wanted to see this film ever since I watched Peter Cushing in Legend Of The Seven Golden Vampires.

This "Shatter" ha my interest as well, although I have owned Legend of 7 Vampires for a while and have he to watch it..maybe I should watch that for an interest check first?

I agree with you all on Delightful Forest, it's one of my top favorite Shaw movies, as well as my favorite Ti Lung performance, Wu Song is the man! Action packed movie with solid story and acting as well.

• Like 1

DragonClaws
This "Shatter" ha my interest as well, although I have owned Legend of 7 Vampires for a while and have he to watch it..maybe I should watch that for an interest check first?

I agree with you all on Delightful Forest, it's one of my top favorite Shaw movies, as well as my favorite Ti Lung performance, Wu Song is the man! Action packed movie with solid story and acting as well.

Shatter has a contemporary setting paimeifist whilst LOFTSGV is a period film. The latter I enjoyed a lot but I was only seventeen at the time with little experience of HK cinema.

Excellent movie. Lots of action.This is becoming my favourite label for rare kung fu films. 2 out of 4 are outright classics.

Dragon's snake fist being the best of course . But this is not too far behind.

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

So much for me waiting to buy these...

A Better Tomorrow I & II, The Delightful Forest (what a great title) and Legend of the Bat ordered. I am really itching to see Swordsman and Enchantress: I hope that will arrive tomorrow so I can have a Ti Lung centric Fourth of July marathon.

If the native language dub is available I always watch that. The tip is very much appreciated. I understand some of the Shaws English dubs make a great film a completely crazy / funny experience, but I prefer the mother tongues.

• Like 1

Eastern Evil

'Shatter' has a pretty cool commentary but the guy - Monty Hellman pretty much skewers Run Run & the Shaw actors a little bit. Safe to say he didn't like his time on the film (He left midway through if I'm not mistaken).

• Like 1

So much for me waiting to buy these...

A Better Tomorrow I & II, The Delightful Forest (what a great title) and Legend of the Bat ordered. I am really itching to see Swordsman and Enchantress: I hope that will arrive tomorrow so I can have a Ti Lung centric Fourth of July marathon.

If the native language dub is available I always watch that. The tip is very much appreciated. I understand some of the Shaws English dubs make a great film a completely crazy / funny experience, but I prefer the mother tongues.

You probably know this by now but if you got the US release of Swordsman and Enchantress, it is not anamorphic. Not sure if the Region 3 dvd is or not. Good movie, otherwise. Well, all of these are.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
Hi, Saltysam, is it an original release of Shatter that you have, and is it subbed ?

Hi guys, great discussion! In the interest of keeping this thread on its subject of 'Shanghai 13' though, can we re-direct any conversation about 'Shatter' to it's dedicated thread, located here -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3206

I've already copied over all the 'Shatter' related comments to the latest post in the thread, so you can pick up straight from here.

• Like 1

After hearing about this movie for years and never getting around to seeing it, I finally have. Actually, never having access to it would be a more accurate statement. For some reason, it was never available here in the States on dvd that I knew of. It was one of those films that I heard stories about but no access to it. Anyways, Ordered the Terracotta dvd. Interesting film. Decent story with some really good fights. I like how they kept the pressure on the idea that Mr Ko might not make it to his destination. PQ was decent. Loved the soundtrack music though it did not really gel with the movie itself. Interesting that the music is from other sources.:monk_concerned: 

The extras were nice! Lu Feng really blew me away with how much he had changed. Was not expecting that at all. Any idea what he was smoking? But, he really seemed to enjoy it, whatever it was! (haha) But, his interview was nowhere near as long as it should have been. I would love to hear a full-length interview from him someday. He was just getting into an interesting story when the interview ended. I thought that I had accidentally pushed the menu button or something and had to watch it again to make sure I didn't do something wrong.

Really nice release!  

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Yeah, I wish the Lu Feng interview was longer too,  I would have enjoyed to hear his comments about his choreography for this and working with Leung Kar Yan and Andy Lau.  Actually, I felt he hadn't aged too much considering. 

I love this movie more each time I see it. It's just so much fun and one of my kung fu comfort films. 

• Like 1