Shanghai 13 (1985)

Guest gfanikf

I'll be picking up a copy of this film for sure. There's a serous lack of new releases in the U.K:sad:. While Shanghai 13 might not be classic its better than another Bruce Lee re-issue.

I'll be picking up a copy of this film for sure. There's a serous lack of new releases in the U.K:sad:. While Shanghai 13 might not be classic its better than another Bruce Lee re-issue.

I preordered shangai from amazon.uk...Have you looked into german market for english friendly kf flicks?

I got last week thundering mantis and iron monkey(chen kuan tai), and while prints are not crystal clear, they are still far better than many crash/vengeance/wu tang releases.

Widescreen of course.

• Like 1

I preordered shangai from amazon.uk...Have you looked into german market for english friendly kf flicks?

I got last week thundering mantis and iron monkey(chen kuan tai), and while prints are not crystal clear, they are still far better than many crash/vengeance/wu tang releases.

Widescreen of course.

Ive never bought any German releases up to now. From what I have read they often do have better releases than the U.K editions. I'm more of a casual collector of Kung Fu film especially when compared to some of the more serious collectors here. That might change now I'm keeping up with different releases discussed on these forums.

Morgoth Bauglir

I got the Terracotta release for Shanghai 13. I had high hopes for this DVD and I'm blown away by it. First I watched the special features. Hearing actors talk about old kung fu movies that they made is one of my greatest pleasures in life, and on this DVD I got to hear Sonny Yu talk about Raiders of the Shaolin Temple, Shanghai 13 and director Chang Cheh. In Lu Feng's interview he talks about Chang Cheh, Shaolin Rescuers and Chiang Sheng, Lu Feng looks really great for his age. Is it the hooka that keeps him looking so young? This was a dream come true seeing these interviews. I can't wait to see more.

As for the movie, the picture quality is very good and the sound quality on the English dub is good. This is one of my favorite kung fu movies. Probably top 20. It takes about 30 minutes to warm up but then it's nonstop awesome fights.

I have to take my socks off to give this DVD a rating. 4 thumbs up.

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I got the Terracotta release for Shanghai 13. I had high hopes for this DVD and I'm blown away by it. First I watched the special features. Hearing actors talk about old kung fu movies that they made is one of my greatest pleasures in life, and on this DVD I got to hear Sonny Yu talk about Raiders of the Shaolin Temple, Shanghai 13 and director Chang Cheh. In Lu Feng's interview he talks about Chang Cheh, Shaolin Rescuers and Chiang Sheng, Lu Feng looks really great for his age. Is it the hooka that keeps him looking so young? This was a dream come true seeing these interviews. I can't wait to see more.

I couldn't have said it better bro. Seeing these cats in new interviews was so cool.

Terracotta did a beautiful job on this release.

• Like 1

DragonClaws

As for the movie, the picture quality is very good and the sound quality on the English dub is good. This is one of my favorite kung fu movies. Probably top 20. It takes about 30 minutes to warm up but then it's nonstop awesome fights.

I have to take my socks off to give this DVD a rating. 4 thumbs up.

Love the last line of the review. Great to read more positive feedback regarding the Terrcotta label.

The bonus features are great, and you shouldn't consider getting this...you just need to get it!

where can you purchase it. a person was selling it on amazon for 176.99 . lol this dvd must be a true gem.

• Like 1

DragonClaws
where can you purchase it. a person was selling it on amazon for 176.99 . lol this dvd must be a true gem.

A great release buts that's just insane. You can order titles from their official website for around 9.99 each.

A great release buts that's just insane. You can order titles from their official website for around 9.99 each.

who terracotta and do they have shanghai 13 for usa or just uk.

• Like 1

wongfeihung62
You order it from the UK and you can watch it on an all region player.

The back of the DVD cover says region 0, so should play on any player.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

You're right it does play on my standard player. I thought since it was PAL format it wouldn't play. I don't know anything about this kind of technical stuff.

• Like 1

Some players won't play the PAL format, In example my PS3 won't play it.. But my standard Blu ray player will! But similar to you Morgoth, i know nothing about the technical stuff, so don't know how to explain this.

The movie is a must own though, for sure!

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

The UK release is indeed an "all region" DVD. It's available on yesasia.com, so it's highly probable it will end up in my next order - which won't occur before a little while, as I already have an order on its way. :bigsmile:

• Like 1

The UK release is indeed an "all region" DVD. It's available on yesasia.com, so it's highly probable it will end up in my next order - which won't occur before a little while, as I already have an order on its way. :bigsmile:

Looks quite expensive in yesasia, here is better deal http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chiang-Ming-Bryan-Leung-Shanghai-Thirteen-DVD-NEW-/351346824628?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51cde715b4

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

Yeah, I guess $26 might be a bit too much for this (even with free shipping), but since yesasia is a very good retailer (been very pleased with them so far) I guess I know where I'm going ordering from them.

• Like 1

Some players won't play the PAL format, In example my PS3 won't play it.. But my standard Blu ray player will! But similar to you Morgoth, i know nothing about the technical stuff, so don't know how to explain this.

The movie is a must own though, for sure!

you are right i saw it at some site and i must admit these stars are incredible and the last fight scene between ti lung and the other guy love it. this is how you go out in a blaze of glory.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir
The other guy? Cheng Tien Chi has been reduced to the other guy?

Yeah we're talking about the star of Dancing Warrior here!

• Like 1

Yeah we're talking about the star of Dancing Warrior here!

gosh you forget a person's name and the kung fu committee gets pressed. lol::bigsmile:

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

EDIT:

I am so looking forward to seeing a great print of this film, along with a current Lu Feng interview too (I wish he was still active. I am usually not a person who goes for villains, but I love so many of his baddies.)

Another all region player debacle... lesson learned do not buy an all region player from Amazon. Will have to sit on my mitts a little longer to see a beautiful print of Tiger unleashing his butterfly sword fu.

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Thanks to Kung Fu Bob for the all region blu ray player recommendation. It's a great little player. I christened it with the Terracotta Shanghai 13 dvd which is great.

I love this movie ( think this my favorite role of David Chiangs' too. )

Lu looks great. I wish the interview was longer and I am surprised they did not talk about Shanghai 13. I'll repeat, I am bummed the man retired for more than a few reasons, but too because his reaction time is still very, very good.

• Like 1