Shanghai 13 (1985)

Guest gfanikf

Guest gfanikf

Had a lot funny watching this film today and it got my thinking about some questions.

1. Is there are known copies floating around of the film in collectors circles of a wide print of this film?

2. What actors do you think should have been in the film and why do you think they were not in the film (ie Johnny Wang-Still under contract?), you can only pick logical choices of people who worked with CC (ie no Kurata :) ).

3. How was Andy Lau connected to CC?

4. Who funded this film and do you think if this was made as a Shaw film would it have been "better" in any way?

5. Who owns the rights (the DVD I have is sourced from an Ocean Shore tape)?

6. Is there any hope for a legit release of this film anywhere???

7. Is Beardy the biggest pimp in all of China?

Guest morgoth

I heard Andy Lau wasn't doing so well in the movie biz and had been blacklisted by a lot of people and Cheng Cheh gave him break. And Beardy is top pimp in China and top 3 worldwide.

Guest ironfistedmonk2003

Kurata did work with Chang Cheh on a couple of movies :D

He would have been cool in Shanghai 13, the film has so many stars in it throwing in a few more wouldn't make much difference

it's a fave of mine as well.

1. Is there are known copies floating around of the film in collectors circles of a wide print of this film?

No. The HK disc is actually cropped to make it look a little wide. The best version of this is the old Ocean Shores tape. I would LOVE for a company to get this one.

2. What actors do you think should have been in the film and why do you think they were not in the film (ie Johnny Wang-Still under contract?), you can only pick logical choices of people who worked with CC (ie no Kurata :) ).

There's a ton of them, but I don't know if they'd FIT! The movie would be two and a half hours long!! :)

3. How was Andy Lau connected to CC?

He was under contract with TVB, but rumor has it they were not happy with him at the time. Chang helped him out like he did nearly everyone and gave him a part in the film. After this, Lau was considered a bit more of an actor for films.

4. Who funded this film and do you think if this was made as a Shaw film would it have been "better" in any way?

This was actually made so that Chang could retire. The problem is for every one of these retirement films, there's a couple, Chang used the money to make more movies.

5. Who owns the rights (the DVD I have is sourced from an Ocean Shore tape)?

Not sure about this one.

I wish.

7. Is Beardy the biggest pimp in all of China?

• Like 1

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Great film.

. Who owns the rights (the DVD I have is sourced from an Ocean Shore tape)?

Actually, the DVD (if it's not a DVD-R your referring to) is a different and inferior version to the Ocean Shores VHS version. I have both and I've been meaning to burn the Ocean Shores version to DVD-R.

I wish.

That would be awesome.

Pardon me, guys.

Has there been a discussion about this title at all to see if IVL has already released it or going to? Is IVL done with the SB movies or not? Am I still in the same thoughts?

Please share...

Topgun

• Like 1

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

This is not a Shaws film. Hopefully Crash, Image, Animego, or some other company will release this one along with One Armed Boxer, One Armed Swordsmen, etc.

• Like 1

This is not a Shaws film. Hopefully Crash, Image, Animego, or some other company will release this one along with One Armed Boxer, One Armed Swordsmen, etc.

Didn't Ocean Shores have SHANGHAI 13 once upon a time? I'm pretty sure my VHS copy was Ocean Shores. Why hasn't Tai Seng released it?

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

I remember I started a thread asking about this movie awhile back, and someone said there was a problem with the rights to it. Chang Cheh got money from a company to make the movie when he had already taken money from another company. Someone probably knows more. I'm only going off of what I read like a year ago.

• Like 1

The movie never played theatrically in Hong Kong. It did play in Taiwan, however. As far as releases, there's the OS tape, numerous dupes of the OS tape which are very easy to find and a Chinese language VCD release which I presume is OS as well. Most, if not all of CC's Chang Ho movies are available in a digital format, but I'm not sure if all of them (or any for that matter) are available on DVD.

• Like 1

I would love to finally see SHANGHAI 13 released remastered and restored in anamorhic widescreen. It's such a rare film and being one of Chang Cheh's few post-Shaw Brothers films, it's historic. We were finally able to get Cheh's last film, NINJA IN ANCIENT CHINA released on DVD earlier this year. Hopefully SHANGHAI 13 is in the works somewhere. I'm still enjoying my Ocean Shores copy I bought over 17 years ago and it remains in my Top Ten Favorites list...

• Like 1

gravedigger666

It was also released in UK vhs,dubbed but so many years since saw I do not remember was it widescreen or not(likely not) but quality was fine.Obviously it`s not Shaw film,can tell it immediately.Sets and costumes look damn cheap which is not case with Shaw productions.But it`s almost nonstop quality fighting:)

• Like 1

I've never really paid much attention to this movie but I have decided to pick it up in the next batch of DVD's I buy, next week.

Is this movie worth the buy and, secondly, what's the best version to get hold of?

• Like 1

a) there is no Ocean Shores (legit) DVD. or is it? i doubt it.

B) Ocean Shores Version on VHS was WAY better:

not as badly cropped. even a bit pan-scanned. remastered, small subtitles.

the Garry's DVD is horribly zoomed in, has the Original WIDE 2.35 Subs cropped all the Time, making them virtually incomprehensible all the time.

• Like 1

I loved this one also. It was cool as hell. I WISH SOMEBODY WOULD REMASTER IT. Some of the quotes are off the handle!

"You killed my friend back there. You must be the butcher. That's right."

"You're the one they call black eagle, I'm gonna kill you!"

"That black sniper on the rooftop tried to shoot you."

"Let's see how this fellow enjoys mixing it."

"I'm sorry sir, we're closed."

"Firstly, I know my way around. Secondly, my boss is the toughest guy around."

"Is she one of the rascals? That girl is Tao Ye's sister. And that girl is also his friend."

Not to mention my man Mr. Gao... he plays a good terrified guy with glasses.

• Like 1

Well, not all of it actually...the soundtrack used in one of my all-time favorite Chang Cheh films, SHANGHAI 13, is sourced from 3 or more different places.

First off, the guitar groove from the film's opening credits is "Jam Sandwich" by the legendary Jimmy Page from the DEATH WISH 2 soundtrack and the tune used when the Black Sniper(Danny Lee) is setting up to shoot Mr. Gau(Chiang Ming), is "Chase" also by Jimmy Page courtesy of the DEATH WISH 2 soundtrack.

Next, in the slow-motion scene where The Young Master(Lee Chung Yat) kills the Leopard(Chi Kuan Chun), that tune is "009 Gets The Knife And Gorbinda Attacks" by John Barry from the OCTOPUSSY soundtrack.

The following music still isn't found:

1- A musical piece used in the beginning of the film as Black Hat(Jimmy Wang Yu) and Mr. Gau steal the secret document.

2- A sad strings piece used when The Student(Andy Lau) lays mortally wounded in the arms of his girlfriend.

3- The suspenseful piano used when The Butcher(Cheng Tien Chi) kills The Young Leopard(Sonny Yue).

4- An upbeat string piece used at the very end when The Dock Boss(Ti Lung) and Mr. Gau walk off to board the boat to Hong Kong.

Any ideas?

• Like 1