House of Traps (1982)

Iron_Leopard

Just wondering if this movie is worth buying. Never seen it but want to and i like the Venom films. I only have 5 Deadly Venoms and Kid with the Golden Arm and want to expand my collection. Would it make a worthy addition?

• Like 1

Most fans are split on this, so you will never get a definitive answer. It's not the best Venoms movie which most will agree, but it has certain redeeming qualities such as decent action choreography and weapons. It's underutilized in the House itself and some of the stars that are in the movie. If you are completest, then get it, but if have an opportunity to rent it, id do that before buying.

If you use the search function, you can find lots of Venoms threads where people rate what they like the most or dont like.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah good thoughts oldeschool.

If you are looking for a lot of fighting, you may not want to get it. But, a couple of the fights are top notch. worth a look if you have nothing else to watch. Just don't expect it be as good as KWTGA or 5 Venoms. You may like it if you go into it with low expectations.

• Administrator

Hi Iron Leopard (badd-ass name BTW), if you want to expand your Venoms film collection I highly recommend these titles:

INVINCIBLE SHAOLIN

MAGNIFICENT RUFFIANS

MASKED AVENGERS

These three are all classics with a ton of action in each. I sincerely doubt you would be disappointed in any of them. :nerd:

Just thought I'd throw that out there since I kind of suck at doing "searches" myself! XD

Morgoth Bauglir
Hi Iron Leopard (badd-ass name BTW), if you want to expand your Venoms film collection I highly recommend these titles:

INVINCIBLE SHAOLIN

MAGNIFICENT RUFFIANS

MASKED AVENGERS

Also Shaolin Rescuers and Crippled Avengers. Hard to go wrong with those. And I can't believe I still haven't seen Magnificent Ruffians OR Masked Avengers:(:( I will see them, oh yes, one day I will see themXD

IMAGE has slightly better subs(will translate signs and chinese text on screen, change the wording around on some lines), still has the interlacing/conversion issue, is lighter/less saturation in colors, has the coveted english dub. If you are more concerned with picture, then get the IVL. If you are more concerned with better subs & dub then get the IMAGE.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

Is the picture quality still pretty good (I don't have th Image, just the IVL)? I have to look very closely at the Image DVDs to see that the picture quality is not quite as good as the IVLs. Maybe it's because I don't have a bigscreen TV?

Regular TV's wont notice it as much but LCD's probably will(chen lung, you should be chiming in any minute now for the technical discussion. :)). It's like any other IMAGE release so if you are fine with the quality that IMAGE has put out so far, this is no different. Oh and this dub team sucks(5 elements Ninja team)

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir
Regular TV's wont notice it as much but LCD's probably will(chen lung, you should be chiming in any minute now for the technical discussion. :)). It's like any other IMAGE release so if you are fine with the quality that IMAGE has put out so far, this is no different. Oh and this dub team sucks(5 elements Ninja team)

Dammit oldeschool! You shouldn't have mentioned anything about the dub, I may have to get it now since it's the same team from 5EN. I know it's stupid, but I love that dub:D Thanks for the info.

Dammit oldeschool! You shouldn't have mentioned anything about the dub, I may have to get it now since it's the same team from 5EN. I know it's stupid, but I love that dub:D Thanks for the info.

I dont think the dub is worth the double dip in my opinion.

• Like 1

shaolindogpaw

I just watched this movie (image). It had a decent storyline. Little character development, and the ending... what the?!

The fight scenes weren't the best and the whole house of traps thing was a little silly. Why didn't they just go outside and disable everything instead digging through the ground and breaking through the roof? Why go through the trouble of starting the first trap to unleash weak minions when you could just skip that step all together? And a padlock on the bird cage... haha, not very secure.

I did like the double crossing and secret agent thing. It was like a Kung Fu James Bond movie. So, I would say I'd keep it in my collection. Not a bad movie, it's different, and it has some of my favorite actors in it.

• Like 1

kungfusamurai

I hadn't seen the film before the North American release because I wanted to get a DVD version with the old school english dub. I wrote my thoughts on it in an earlier thread, but in a nutshell, it's probably the weakest Venoms movie. The only reason to get it is to complete your Venoms collection. Even the English dub was very irritating, where it sounded too obvious that numerous characters were being voiced by only one or two english dubbers. After 20 minutes I had to flip to chinese with eng subs because I was spending so much time trying to pick out which voice was done by the which dubber, so I was being distracted from the story. But after finishing the film, I realized I didn't really miss much. Let's just say the fact that the 'House' in 'House of Traps' turns out to be more like an oversized storage shed is a huge disappointment, and probably could have saved the already weak story line had it been done up better. Add to that the acting being so so, I felt the movie appeared to have been made for the sake of being made, perhaps to finish off a contractual obligation.

KFS

• Like 1

I thought House Of Traps was brilliant--especially with the English dub! The lyrics were wicked... "he's recruiting desperados!" and "stop trying to up-stage him!"

I love the over-dramatics and all round ridiculous scenes portrayed in a serious tone. It reminds me of the Korean flicks...

*Sun Chien's over-friendly character.

*Torture of the slave before they take him seriously in court.

*Surgery on Lu Feng to try and recover the document.

*Blacksmiths' produced silver spade done to an overly high standard (only used for digging!)

*Tortoise out of the pocket

*The old guy doesn't laugh at the masks, and ends up even being scared of them.

One of the best moments was when Chiang Sheng and that bloke from Super Ninjas does the clown act with the umbrella and ball! Had me in stitches...

Great choreo, especially during the mid-fight between Kuo Chui and Lu Feng indoors with a table in the middle; some very high level flips that would have won olympics Gold!

Of course the end fight is great with Lu Feng's spearwork and the other guy's double hook swords. In particular, check out some of the hook manoeuvres early on in the fight. One sequence against 1 of 2 opponents involves the swords being hooked together, followed by a low spin to the shin area, followed by a blind block whilst attacking the other guy. Too high level to really describe with words... that's the beauty of high level kung. When a fight scene is too complex to transcribe then you know you have a winner! :)

4/5

• Like 1

Also Shaolin Rescuers and Crippled Avengers. Hard to go wrong with those. And I can't believe I still haven't seen Magnificent Ruffians OR Masked Avengers:(:( I will see them, oh yes, one day I will see themXD

What?!

I hope you have corrected this situation by now. Magnificent Ruffians is the best Venoms films and the ending of Masked Avengers is a sight to behold. Behold iiiitt....*shakes fist*

• Like 1

What the hell are you waiting for? A R1 release? lol

Both are great movies and dont need a dub to enjoyXD

• Like 1

shaolin drunkard

If you have limited budget and long shopping list I suggest you will forget this for now.It`s likely weakest venom movie.However bad movie it`s not and there is some great fighting in the end.

• Like 1

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Holy crap! I posted this thread 9 years go. And still haven't seen this movie lol.

Hahaha... that happens to me too sometimes! I'll see a comment where I'm saying "Maybe I'll check this film out this weekend." from a decade ago, but it still sits un-watched on my shelf. :tongue:

If you are going to see it now though, at least you have the great option of the 88 Films DVD/Blu-ray release of it. It includes both the Mandarin audio (with optional English subs) and the English dub, and it's got a fantastic looking picture image.

• Like 4

I'm still wondering if what had been said somewhere in this forum once about the cut of around 15mn of the movie is true or not, and what makes me wondering that is that on all the posters/pictures I saw of the movie, Sun Chien is always shown as a fighting character, but in the movie, he doesn't move a single finger to fight, so, I enjoy myself thinking that maybe there is an uncut version somewhere in which Sun Chien also fights in the House of Traps to defend the law and that it might surface one day...

Just a day dream, I guess...

• Like 3