Lost Souls on DVD

Winfred

I've decided to only purchase the IVL, unless the Image DVD has an English dub but that would be extremely unlikely.

I'll pick up their release of The Thunderbolt Fist more than likely though.

Image's release of Corpse Mania was a welcomed addition to the collection.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stuntman Jules
MP, the image quality of IMAGE's discs has been consistent and will probably never improve. So looks like you will be double dipping next year:D

Not so, The Magic Blade for some reason looked really nice, a lot better than the IVL. I think there's another "pleasant surprise" or two in the Image Shaw catalog as well. The rest not so good though.

As for Lost Souls on DVD, I can't wait.

That and Bank Busters (which hopefully might also get released now) are the only two Shaw movies that T.F. Mou made that he's even remotely proud of.

It's not cool to release one unpopular title and then say we'll only release more if people buy this!

Quite true. And from a business POV, rather imprudent.

But, if C is thinking of releasing additional titles, by all mean we should support them.

Celestial is run by morons.

Let's keep in mind that if the companies involved had really run the numbers, they might not have released nearly as many films as they did, or even started releasing the films in the first place. Instead we had the opportunity to pick up hundreds of SB films. I picked up every one I could, and wish they had released more.

If you really don't want the film, perhaps pick it up now to show interest in getting more SB films released, then trade/sell it in 6 months.

I pre-ordered it even though I already have the VCD. I just keep hoping good sales of Lost Souls will enable me to own Lily Ho's The Brain Stealers & Cheng Pei-pei's Operation Lipstick on DVD.

Someone with cash to spare can buy one on my behalf. :P

Consider it done.

Can't say as I'm particularly keen to see Lost Souls, but I'm willing to buy it if it encourages IVL to release some more Shaws.

Guest Markgway

Thanks Greenfan. My guilt has been salved, lol :)

Mission Impossible is pretty poor. Filmed in Taiwan and not up to Shaw standard.

Shaolin Patriot

Has the region 3 disc been released yet in Hong Kong and has anyone received it? If so, please comment. It is still listed as pre-order here in the States.

I received my copy from dddhouse 7 days after it was released in Hong Kong. Picture quality is what you would expect. Glad I bought it.

Shaolin Patriot

Hope to receive my copy in the next week or so. Not expecting much in terms of DVD quality. Looking forward to seeing the actual film for the first time.

Stuntman Jules

The DVD of Lost Souls looks quite good.

It's of course a huge step up from the VCD release. One MAJOR improvement is in terms of the opening scenes. On the VCD (or at least the bootleg DVD-R I got ripped from the VCD), these scenes, in which the illegal mainlander immigrants land on the shores of Hong Kong, were so dark as to be almost unintelligible at times. On this new DVD, they are massively improved in terms of brightness and I could make out a lot of things about these scenes that weren't very legible on the VCD.

Shaolin Patriot

Funny you should say that, Stuntman Jules. My VCD of Pursuit of a Killer is the same way. Most of the film looks like it was shot at night under poor lighting conditions. I'm hoping for an eventual DVD release of this film.

Yes your right, it is better than the VCD release. I should have stated that in my post above. Sorry if I gave the impression that it was not worth purchasing due to picture quality.

Archived