Magnificent Butcher Ending?

inframan

Just rewatched this classic, but there's no subtitle for the end gag where Butcher Wing has recreated the school's sign. Anyone know what it says?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. Guess that's kind of funny, most of the humor falls flat in this movie, its just too broad. Looks like Sammo watched a lot of Bugs Bunny before he made this film. The actions scenes however are top notch.

Also I noticed that the DVD version I have has Simon Yuen on the cover, although he's not actually in the movie. I think I heard that he was supposed to be in it or started filming when he died.

yeah he filmed some scenes but they were scrapped when he died and he was replaced by fan mei shang i think his name is.

Guest Markgway

It's not surprising Yuen died. Between 1978-1979 he made something like TWENTY films. All of them martial arts. The guy was over 70 years old!

Killer Meteor
It's not surprising Yuen died. Between 1978-1979 he made something like TWENTY films. All of them martial arts. The guy was over 70 years old!

Actually I think he was still in his sixties when he died.

He plays the old So Hat Yi in World of Drunken Master but ONLY in the title sequence which suggests this may have been one he died before completion. Compared to Dance of the Drunk Mantis, made a few months before, he looks much older, heavier and ill. very sad

Yeah.... They worked the poor guy to death. He was a very big part of the newer wave of MA movies toward the end of the '70's. Very memorable as Begger So.

• Administrator

I think I heard that the footage of him used at the beginning of WORLD OF DRUNKEN MASTER was something that had been filmed for another movie- the one he died during the filming of- and so they used this footage to help sell WoDM. Reading the last posts, I wonder- could this be footage of Simon originally shot for MAGNIFICENT BUTCHER? I haven't seen it in years, but I don't remember any of it looking similar location wise?

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah I don't remember anything in Magnificent Butcher being filmed by the ocean, but I haven't seen MB in awhile so I could be wrong

love thius film and the end fight totaly rocks the boat! Sammo is way above anyone else in terms of performing

I agree, Incredible film! I really feel his fight choreography is about the best out there, imo - amazing stuff!

Morgoth Bauglir

Sammo is the man when it comes to choreography, and fighting onscreen of course. Add in the Yuen Clan, Billy chan and Lam Ching Ying as choreographers, and actors like Yuen Biao, Chung Fa, Lam Ching Ying, Yuen Mo and Lee Hoi san, and you have a movie with some of the best choreography ever filmed (especially that fight between Yuen Biao and Lam Ching Ying).

you have a movie with some of the best choreography ever filmed (especially that fight between Yuen Biao and Lam Ching Ying).

Exactly what I was thinking, I wanted more LCY so I'm watching Prodigal son next:D

Archived