Golden Harvest Productions

Guest Markgway

Guest Markgway

Hey guys,

I'm looking to update the Golden Harvest Filmography by seperating their distribution from their production.

By that, I mean, it seems that a number of Golden Harvest releases, especially those from the early 70s, were actually produced (or at least co-produced) by independent companies.

Eg. The Fast Sword:

TheFastSword.jpg

Produced by Chia Hsiang (HK)

[Image taken from Shaolin Chamber Gallery]

Here's the Golden Harvest release list for 1971 (might as well start at the beginning): if anyone knows of any of these that like The Fast Sword aren't GH productions or are co-prods please post and I'll amend the filmography accordingly.

The Invincible Eight

Zatoichi and the One-Armed Swordsman (Daiei/Consolidated Katsu/Golden Harvest)

The Blade Spares None

The Angry River

The Fast Sword (Chia Hsiang)

The Comet Strikes

The Chase

The Big Boss

The Invincible Sword (Golden Harvest/Hiu Gan)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest stormybman

I think that's how Chow developed his empire, through what was once called "quickie distribution". By doing this, it allowed funding for his studio. Shaws ran the distribution pipelines, and Chow being a former Right hand man of Run Run, knew this end of the business well. I think I've a few titles myself that i'm discovering were distributed by GH.... :rolleyes

I have come for the revenge of my master, this doesn't concern you, so I'll allow you to leave...

Guest Markgway

The HKFA list The Invincible Sword as being produced by Ku Kan (or Fu Gon?) and Golden Harvest as the distributor. There's no English name given for the company so that's just a romanisation. However when I check the actual film there's no mention of this company only Golden Harvest and Raymond Chow. A certain Wu Hsin Yun is credited as executive producer - perhaps that offers a clue as to the real prod. co behind the scenes?

Guest Markgway

Anyone know which of the Lo Wei films for Harvest were co-produced by his Siwei Film Company?

The HKFA list four (including two he directed: Fist of Fury and The Comet Strikes).

I have both those and neither mentions Siwei on the film prints so it's tough to get any confirmation.

But what about The Hurricane, Back Alley Princess, etc?

Guest dager in the cotton

I know that Dragon lord was co produced by one of his compnies, probalby to keep him in line after loosing J C to GH

Archived