Who can provide me with a top 10 Chang Che film list?

Iron_Leopard

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Butterfly Chailce, The

Trail of The Broken Blade, The

One-Armed Swordsman

King Eagle

Perfumed Arrow, The

Female Prince, The

Delightful Forest

Inside the Forbidden City

Knight of Knights, The

Mermaid, The

Intriguing choices Jay. I take it you're a fan of the Huang Mei genre? Trail of BB I really enjoyed. For those who don't recognize some of these titles, CC was only the writer (and did not direct) five of these films.

Damn jaywong! You must be hardcore Chang Cheh. I will have to check out those titles.

lol..biggest fan of them all!! I pefer some of Chang's earlier work.

Intriguing choices Jay. I take it you're a fan of the Huang Mei genre? Trail of BB I really enjoyed. For those who don't recognize some of these titles, CC was only the writer (and did not direct) five of these films.

I believe "The Butterfly Chalice" was his first SB movie he directed (co-director: Yuan Chiu-feng). I do enjoy a Huang Mei film more than a venom or kung fu flick. The 60s had to be the greatest film era.

Chang was also the writer for the very enjoyable Cathay Movie "It's Always Spring".

Killer Meteor

Chang Cheh is at times brilliant, at other times a flat hack who makes Lo Wei seem like Orson Welles

Anyway my top 10 in chronological order

The Magnificent Trio

One Armed Swordsman

Have Sword, Will Travel

Vengeance!

The New One Armed Swordsman

The Boxer From Shantung

Man Of Iron

The Delinquent

Five Shaolin Masters

Crippled Avengers

I believe "The Butterfly Chalice" was his first SB movie he directed (co-director: Yuan Chiu-feng). I do enjoy a Huang Mei film more than a venom or kung fu flick. The 60s had to be the greatest film era.

Yes indeed. His third film as director but first for SB. CC said that genre was not his favorite nor his specialty. The inclusion of Yuan's name in the credits was a friendship gesture from an old friend as much as a boost to a newcomer (him) to calm company unease.

According to CC, "Yuan rarely interfered with the shooting but I only managed to pull off an average work and believed my personal style had not been given full rein."

I will have to see this film someday - if only for its historical factor.

If you're only interested in the martial-y type violence from CC and less in the huangmei genre era, having skipped Butterfly Chalice perhaps, it's worth at least watching this massively important (not as in spoiler wise, but style defining for Cheh) scene from the film, CC's first Shaw directorial credit...

Chang Cheh's first ever fight scene on film! Man hit the ground running!:

Killer Meteor
If you're only interested in the martial-y type violence from CC and less in the huangmei genre era, having skipped Butterfly Chalice perhaps, it's worth at least watching this massively important scene from the film, CC's first Shaw directorial credit...

Chang Cheh's first ever fight scene on film! Man hit the ground running!:

Call me nuts, but that fight looks much better than much of Chang's later films!

Call me nuts, but that fight looks much better than much of Chang's later films!

Isn't it good! Love that multiple man attack around 1:50, wonder who choreoed this sequence? And the boulder! And the claret! Brilliant for the time, still brilliant now. Surprisingly violent too, like the one bit of violence in the film, just to make it more surprising, comes from nowhere, full on crazed violence halfway through, then gone again back to the huangmei etc.

The Female Prince was directed by Chow Sze-loke ; The Perfumed Arrow, The Mermaid & Inside Forbidden City were all by Kao Li ; The Knight Of Knights was directed by Hsieh Chun. Why is Chang Cheuh given credit for these early huang mei operas? The Butterfly Chalice is the only huang mei opera he ever directed.

gravedigger666

Being huge fan of CC swordplay movies like trail of the broken blade&golden swallow that scene looked sooooo sweet and movie will be added in shopping list.Great stuff----

The Female Prince was directed by Chow Sze-loke ; The Perfumed Arrow, The Mermaid & Inside Forbidden City were all by Kao Li ; The Knight Of Knights was directed by Hsieh Chun. Why is Chang Cheuh given credit for these early huang mei operas? The Butterfly Chalice is the only huang mei opera he ever directed.

Correct Winfred. See my earlier post.

Being a huangmei opera lover, I tried to sit through The Butterfly Chalice but fell asleep. This happened twice. This genre is not Chang Cheh's forte.

1. One Armed Swordsman Trilogy ( New One Armed Swordsman in particular)

2. Boxer From Shantung

3. Disciples of Shaolin (Invincible One)

4. 5 Shaolin Masters (5 Masters of Death)

5. Shaolin Temple (Death Chambers)

6. Crippled Avengers (Return of the 5 Deadly Venoms)

7. Vengeance

8. Blood Brothers (Dynasty of Blood)

9. 5 Element Ninja

10. Have Sword Will Travel

Archived