Who can provide me with a top 10 Chang Che film list?

Iron_Leopard

Not your favorites but what you consider to be his top ten must see films. If you consider him the greatest director of all time then what ten would you pick to prove it.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I've seen:

Vengeance!

Blood Brothers

One-Armed Swordsman

The Assassin

New One-Armed Swordsman

Heroic Ones

Have Sword, Will Travel

Five Venoms

The Duel

Crippled Avengers

But I know only two or three of CC's shaolin flicks for example - I've not seen much of what he shot with Fu Sheng and in general, I am much better acquainted with "iron triangle" and "venom" stuff than with other chapters in the "book of CC"...;-)

However - if I wanted to "convert" someone, I'd show them those films mentioned above.

gravedigger666

uhm...

5 shaolin masters<these

shaolin temple<are must

masked avengers<see

rebel intruders

new onearmed swordsman

ode to gallantry

the pirate

marco polo

2 champions of shaolin

5 element ninjas

Hmm only The New One Armed Swordsman was mentioned on both lists so far. If we get enough replies then we will see which films were mentioned the most and see if we can make a top 10 out of those.

Better pick 12 :-)

New One Armed Swordsman

Vengeance

Invincible Shaolin

The Delinquent

Have Sword will Travel

The Heroic Ones

Five Element Ninja

Boxer from Shantung

Water Margin

All Men are Brothers

Five Venoms

Crippled Avengers

gravedigger666

you should pick onearmed swordsman triple pack.Also sword stained with royal blood and kid with the golden arm are essentials.chang cheh made about 40 great movies and of rest at least other 40 were good.

I would leave Kid With The Golden Arm out... It's just a personal opinion, of course. But the film is -- nonsense. Very charming, but nonsense...:-)

Morgoth Bauglir

Lots I haven't seen, like Boxer From Shantung, Masked Avengers and New One Armed Swordsman, but I'll give the list a try.

All Men are Brothers

Shanghai 13

Heroic Ones

Blood Brothers

Crippled Avengers

Kid With Golden Arm

Shaolin Rescuers

Shaolin Martial Arts

Chinese Super Ninjas

Have Sword Will Travel

gravedigger666

water margin is only crap period piece mentioned so far....cheh has more of junk to be avoid,almost all of them are based into then modern day.stay away from angry guest(that was not really bad but cheh has 80+better),singing thief,4 riders....

gravedigger666
Water Margin would be like #15 on my list. Good movie.

it is not that bad on roger corman cut...I fell azzzzzzzz when dude attemped to escape 3rd time on original print.

Hmm only The New One Armed Swordsman was mentioned on both lists so far. If we get enough replies then we will see which films were mentioned the most and see if we can make a top 10 out of those.

That's true, Iron Leopard. Here are my top ten CC directed films without looking into my collection, off the top of my head:

The One-Armed Swordsman

The Assassin

Golden Swallow

Vengeance

Heroes Two

The Savage Five

New Shaolin Boxer

The New One-Armed Swordsman

Shaolin Temple

Crippled Avengers

He was such a prolific director during that era, it's hard to narrow it to ten, however, those are off the top for me, and they're some of his oldest material, when he was still setting standards.

What Venoms film isnt nonsense?

Eeeeeeeeesay there:( :P

The man has made some great movies over the years.

Boxer From Shantung

Blood brothers

Masked Avengers

The Duel (of Iron Fists)

Duel of fists

Shaolin Temple

Crippled Avengers

Heroic Ones

Vengence

5 Venoms

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Vengeance

The Duel

The New One Armed Swordsman

The Delightful Forest

Blood Brothers

Have Sword Will Travel

Trail Of The Broken Blade

The Silver Fox

All Men Are Brothers and The Water Margin

Shanghai 13

All the Venom's films

Knight Of Knights

Shaolin Abbot

Heroic Ones

The Invincible Fist

King Eagle

Iron Bodyguard

The Flying Dagger

I know it's more than 10 but thought these all deserved mention.

Morgoth Bauglir

Chang Cheh was not involved with Shaolin Abbot and Silver Fox, but nice to see somebody else list Shanghai 13:D:D

ironfistedmonk
;) Shanghai 13! If you want to see loads (and I mean loads!) of kung fu stars spend 90 minutes fighting then this is for you. It's not a great film by any means but all the cameos and the non stop fighting in an age when wire work was taking over is such a blast of old skool goodness.

Off the top of my head, the Chang Cheh films I consider his most significant works (for various reasons):

ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN (1967)

THE ASSASSIN (1967)

THE HEROIC ONES (1970)

THE DUEL (1971)

BLOOD BROTHERS (1973)

SHAOLIN MARTIAL ARTS (1974)

SHAOLIN TEMPLE (1976)

BOXER REBELLION (1976)

THE BRAVE ARCHER (1977)

THE FIVE VENOMS (1978)

My first list was 13. I reluctantly took these three off to bring it down to ten, but they're must-see also:

BOXER FROM SHANTUNG (1972)

FIVE SHAOLIN MASTERS (1974)

THE CHINATOWN KID (1977).

I think WATER MARGIN and ALL MEN ARE BROTHERS are important also, and they'd round out a top 15, but I think the other 13 should be seen first.

What Venoms film isnt nonsense?

XD

You've got a point. :-] (And I say this even as an avid Venom fan...;-))

Still - I consider Five Venoms, Crippled Avengers and Masked Avengers excellent.

As for KWTGA - the WTF factor is rather high and I am more or less convinced that CC didn't mean that film to be taken seriously. But no matter how I look at it (and even though I actually quite love that flick) - KWTGA is IMHO pretty bad...;-)

At least I wouldn't mention it in the same breath with stuff like Vengeance or Blood Brothers - or even Five Venoms or Crippled Avengers.

lightning hopkins

ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN belongs near the top of any "must-see" Chang Cheh film list for historic and cinematic value alone. Among other things, the movie:

(1) Represented the biggest box-office hit of the time (according to lore, the first film to earn a million Hong Kong dollars), and helped launch the careers of all involved, including Chang Cheh and star Jimmy Wang Yu.

(2) Marked the transition to a new, less fantastic style of wuxia filmmaking that focused on strong lead male characters, a major trademark of Chang Cheh's later movies.

(3) Saw the use of new cinematic techniques drawn from the influences of Hollywood and Japan(cf. Chang Cheh's early use of hand-held camerawork) that soon became staples of both the martial arts genre and CC's own films.

(4) Featured fight choreography by future heavyweights Lau Kar Leung and Tong Kai, and a brief onscreen appearance by Yuen Woo Ping too.

(5) Introduced both the personas that Wang Yu would draw on for the rest of his career -- brooding loner and/or amputee martial master (cf. RETURN OF THE ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN, ZATOICHI MEETS THE ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN, CHINESE BOXER, ONE-ARMED BOXER, MASTER OF THE FLYING GUILLOTINE etc.)

All that, and it's still a genuinely entertaining movie, too.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Im not a huge swordplay fan, so my list is biased towards the fu flicks of CC.....

VENGEANCE

SHAOLIN MARTIAL ARTS

SHAOLIN TEMPLE

FIVE VENOMS

CRIPPLED AVENGERS

INVINCIBLE SHAOLIN

REBEL INTRUDERS

SHAOLIN RESCUERS

TWO CHAMPIONS OF SHAOLIN

FIVE ELEMENT NINJAS

I can't believe I forgot to include Blood Brothers!:S Just goes to show how many good/great films Chang Cheh made! But I did say off the top of my head, not looking to my collection!:D

Butterfly Chailce, The

Trail of The Broken Blade, The

One-Armed Swordsman

King Eagle

Perfumed Arrow, The

Female Prince, The

Delightful Forest

Inside the Forbidden City

Knight of Knights, The

Mermaid, The

Morgoth Bauglir
I can't believe I forgot to include Blood Brothers!:S Just goes to show how many good/great films Chang Cheh made! But I did say off the top of my head, not looking to my collection!:D

What about the best Chang Cheh movie of alltime? Blood Brothers? I'd say so, at least from what I've seen.

Morgoth Bauglir
Butterfly Chailce, The

Trail of The Broken Blade, The

One-Armed Swordsman

King Eagle

Perfumed Arrow, The

Female Prince, The

Delightful Forest

Inside the Forbidden City

Knight of Knights, The

Mermaid, The

Damn jaywong! You must be hardcore Chang Cheh. I will have to check out those titles.

Archived