Kill the Shogun

falkor

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is probably my favorite Korean martial arts film. Cool title, war-time setting, non-stop kicking, Karate fighters, Hwang Jang Lee in one of his first roles, and best of all, an absolutely insane bad guy who eats live fish -- what more could you want?

The only negative I can think of is that this movie has one of the poorer dubs I can think of.. you forget about it though after the first 10 spinning heel kicks.

Morgoth Bauglir

I just watched this movie. I got the Trinity DVD, and I don't know why, but I was expecting really bad pic quality, but I was pleasently surprised. It's full screen, but that didn't bother me much, and the pic quality is just fine. Thanks for posting your thoughts yakuza954, I had to get it right away after I read what you said, and I was not disappointed. Recommended to fans of kick fighting movies. Pretty good (and crazy) action. The lead actor is amazing. And of course I have to mention Hwang Jang Lee. A bit hard to recognize him with the white hair, but he does pretty good in his 2 fight scenes (he plays the white haired guy who fights at the beginning of the movie, and he also has a fight towards the end as a tournament fighter. Both short fights). And yakuza you are totally right about the dub. HORRIBLE!!

One more thing. I've tried my hardest to forget Bruce and Shaolin Kung Fu 1 and 2, but I'm pretty sure this movie has the same villain. This guy's acting takes cheesiness to a whole new level :D:D And it looks like they use some footage from this movie in BRuce and Shaolin Kung Fu, or vice versa "Get him!!". Must have something to do with James Nam I'm guessing...

I've got the FLK version. Someone knows if that version is uncut or not? It looks like this:

First in widescreen (about 3 minutes)

shot0001ir4.jpg

After that, fullscreen:

shot0003zr3.jpg

shot0004lr8.jpg

shot0005tk4.jpg

Morgoth Bauglir

Is the Trinity DVD the same as the FLK? The pic quality in those screen shots look the same, but the Trinty DVD seems to have a bit cut out at the end, but I don't have any other versions to compare it with.

gravedigger666

Essential purchase IMO.Movie is about average(never boring or irrating though) until the final when David Kang starts to kick japanese ass big time.Hwang Jang Lee`s role is tiny,but he still gets chance to show his awesome skill:D.Double-kick to the head in tournament could/should be included in any kicking compilation.

Archived