The Prodigal Son / 敗家仔 (1981)

Iron_Leopard

Does anyone know where I can go online to watch this movie in its original language with subs? I tried youtube but all I could find was the dubbed version. I couldnt last 5 minuets.

Now that Fox has released it on DVD that's probably your best bet. I have the old Hong Kong DVD release so on english dub on mine, but I've heard that its horrible.

Well I forced myself to watch it on Youtube and I thought it was pretty good. I'm sure I would enjoy it much better with original language track. I'm going to buy the dvd as soon as I get some extra cash.

• Administrator
If you can handle PAL, the German DVD is the best option for everything unaltered.

Hope this question doesn't get people riled up, but -how about the HKL's version (also PAL region 2)? Is there a problem with that version? I thought it looked great, and the subs and extras were really cool. Plus it has the dubbed track (ugh) which is good for some of my friends that prefer to watch their fu this way.

You can get off torrent sites if you want to download it.

Or you can support legit releases which encourages future DVD releases. There are at least 3-4 easily obtainable dvd versions of this film.

Hope this question doesn't get people riled up, but -how about the HKL's version (also PAL region 2)? Is there a problem with that version?

I own the HKL version as well, and its one of my favorites. The only "problem" Im aware of is that it is slightly cropped.

Way of the Dragon

just buy the HKL version, im sure it would be worth it. I havent seen the film but it looks really cool. HKL seem to release only great Hong Kong films, they always have english subs, good picture quality, sound and some cool extras. :)

just buy the HKL version, im sure it would be worth it. I havent seen the film but it looks really cool. HKL seem to release only great Hong Kong films, they always have english subs, good picture quality, sound and some cool extras. :)

Yuen Biao, Lam Ching Ying and Sammo all in top form, its a must see, you'll love it.

Way of the Dragon
Yuen Biao, Lam Ching Ying and Sammo all in top form, its a must see, you'll love it.

Yeah i might buy it but its quite expensive at the moment, one of the more pricey HKL i found on the internet.......but theres always ebay.

I love Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung.

the prodigal son (when first released on vhs) was one of the only examples in my life where i would consider myself a thief. don't know if anyone in the us remembers suncoast, but their price stickers were easily interchangeable. i guess tai seng also put out 10.99 yoga instructionals instead of 29.99 kung fu movies. and best of all, dad took me to the store to buy it for me for my birthday.

Yeah I remember suncoast. And I remember seeing The Prodigal Son there but at the time I was just starting to get into kung fu movies so I didn't know it was a must buy. Wish I got it back then. Suncoast was an expensive store but it was still a cool place. I miss it.

HKL has the best extras, but the German DVD has better picture (not cropped, etc), original mono (no extra sound effects) and improved subtitles (HKL's disc mistranslates things, even though they are a pretty good set overall).

Fox's disc has annoying sound effects on it and sub-par subtitles. An overall inferior option to HKL or the German disc.

gravedigger666

^bargain.Movie is way too much overrated as strictly kung-fu film,there is not enough fighting(what there is,1st rate though).but if you like your movie some comedy added and are fan of biao+sammo this delivers.

^bargain.Movie is way too much overrated as strictly kung-fu film,there is not enough fighting(what there is,1st rate though).but if you like your movie some comedy added and are fan of biao+sammo this delivers.

It's not in my personal favourites, but I do like the movie :).

Here's a link to the remastered HK Joy Sales version for $3.99 SHIPPED! Prodigal Son

False mono (annoying sound effects) and I don't know how the picture is handled, or the subtitles.