Fist of Legend or Drunken Master II?

Iron_Leopard

In 1994 Jackie Chan and Jet Li dropped two of their greatest martial arts movies out of their whole filmography. If you want to watch the greatest fight scenes ever you will find them in these two movies. I know Jackie does comedy kung fu while Li does serious kung fu but i'm still comparing the two movies.

Their both classics of the genre but which one do you prefer over the other?

• Like 2

• Administrator

It's close. I agree with Markgway- FoL is a better story, and perhaps movie, but DM2 squeaks into first place with it's jaw-dropping action.

• Like 1

Guest Yi-Long

Both are 5-star movies, but Fist of Legend (extended cut) is my absolute favourite. Just prefect: good pace, great action, nice story, good soundtrack, etc. This is how martial arts flicks should be done. You can watch it over and over again without getting bored.

Drunken Master 2 is terrificic, and has some great action, but it also has it's pacing problems.

Didnt realize they were the same year, definately in the same class. For me its DM2, although Fist of Legend is my favorite Jet Li. I even bought the VCD years ago because I refused to buy the dubbed Disney version.

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane

DM2! Jet has always been a little too wirehappy for me. But I agree that FOL has a better story. Definitely the best FOF incarnation outside of the original.

• Like 1

I love both movies but if I could only own one of the two I would go with Drunken Master II. I really had no problem with the pace of the film like someone earlier said. Both movies had awesome end fights but from the second Jackie walked into the factory till the second he defeated Lo I was in kung fu heaven.

• Like 1

drunkenmaster

DM2 by the narrowest of margins. No matter how impressive Jet Li looks, Jackie's charisma shines through. Both are definitely five star films though. :D

• Like 1

thundered mantis

DMII for me all the way. Story wise there have been much better kungs that both, IMO. DM2 wins for me story wise for not too big margin, despite having the pace issues mentioned above. But action wise, DM2 is quite many steps in the lead for me...

• Like 1

I'd have to watch both of these films again to give you an answer.

(Hmmm...I think I only have DMII on VHS. Did this ever come out in a decent HK import DVD? I'm not talking about the US version, LEGEND OF DRUNKEN MASTER.)

• Like 1

I would be in with those that prefer DMII but, again, only by a margin. It's all about Jackie's charisma and what he brings to the movie. I also love Anita Mui in her role.

While both are high in terms of action, DMII's finale is just that perfect.

• Like 1

• Administrator
I'd have to watch both of these films again to give you an answer.

(Hmmm...I think I only have DMII on VHS. Did this ever come out in a decent HK import DVD? I'm not talking about the US version, LEGEND OF DRUNKEN MASTER.)

Not to go off on a tangent here and ruin the thread, but the Thakral DVD is the only version of DM2 that I know of that is subbed (imbedded) and uncut. But... it's only partially letterboxed! It's aspect is about 1:85:1 instead on it's original 2:35:1. So in regards to picture quality and the widescreen image- if I want to just watch the action scenes I pull out the shit US release.

• Like 1

DM II is the better of the two to me. But only but a tiny bit. I have to agree with mostly everyone else. FOL is the better all around movie, but when it comes to the action they both rock...but DM II and Jackie vs. Ken Lo is still one for the ages!!!!

• Like 1

As much as I love FOL, without hesitation I say Drunken Master 2. On all fronts. And thats without ever seeing a uncut/subbed version of DM2.

• Like 1

TheGrimReaper

Both are fine films - I wish I could choose them both, however I have to go with Drunken Master 2 - the last old school martial arts from Jackie. Fist of Legend is also great - the battle between Jet and Yasuaki Kurata is a rare gem. But Jackie wraps everything in a very tight action pack which is hard to miss. :)

• Like 1

Fist of Legend- really should have been a classic but I find it just lacks something which is a pity…

Don’t get me wrong Fist of Legend is good but not great imo and it really could and should have been.. I found the action a little too cranked (surely with likes of Jet , Kurata and Woo Ping this wasn’t required…) and is a little disjointed- the story is good although I thought it dragged in places. FOL should have been up there with Fist of fury and Legend of a fighter but IMO just falls short in that it's not the film it should have been..

Drunken Master II wins hands down for me. It’s probably the best of the new wave Kung Fu movies, filled with magnificently choreographed fights, yes there are wires but I found it enhanced the action. I’d also have no hesitation in listing DM II among my all time faves

• Like 1

Fist of legend - it's just such a fantastic film and of course Jet Li performing with far less wirework made it an even better treat for me.

• Like 1

I like about 10% of DM2, the rest was bull to me (some histrionics and somewhat sub-par action). 'Fist Of Legend' gets my vote - one of my favourite films with a great uplifting score and no-bullshit character. I wish the sound effects were better though - I found that recently with a few movies that trailer sound effects are often better than the film itself personally ('My Father Is A Hero' and 'Once Upon A Time In China And America' included).

To quote James Berardinelli (I find this with quite a number of HK movies - even the "beloved" ones):

"The Legend of Drunken Master is pretty typical Hong Kong Chan fare - five superior action sequences with a lot of failed comedy and mindless drivel padding out the running length. Most of the expository and character-building scenes fall into one of three categories: (1) inane, (2) incomprehensible, or (3) dull. The tone is also wildly inconsistent. Some sequences are laced with slapstick comedy while others are acutely uncomfortable as a result of torture and the nearly-abusive disciplining of a grown child by a parent. (Differences in culture make the latter seem more incongruous to American viewers than to Chinese movie-goers.) So it's up to the action to redeem the film - a feat it succeeds at, at least to a point."

• Like 1