Question about Bruce Lee boxset

bamboo spear

Not the old black Master Collection one, but the newer blue one with the names of the films in kanji. I picked it up at Walmart for a meager 15 bucks. Does anyone know if these are the same dubs as the old boxset? I really want the old dubs from my childhood, but haven't opened the set yet. Thanks!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, great price. I'll have to check that out. I really need to upgrade from my old Master Collection disc set. The english dubs will be the same, but as far as The Big Boss, Fist of Fury, and Way of the Dragon are concerned; they have added the cantonese and mandarin dialog tracks.

Fox was supplied with remastered Hong Kong prints, so some scenes that were censored/cut will finally be making an appearance. This will mostly be apparent for Way of the Dragon, which was butchered of quite a few comedic scenes when it was released outside Hong Kong.

Thanks! I've been watching the Master Collection on Ebay for a while, as I had the VHS of those many years ago, and remember our late-nights of Bruce Lee, beer and general tso's chicken. Good times.

...I really need to upgrade from my old Master Collection disc set.

The Master collection is by far the best, even though it doesn't have any special features. My set is the one where it opens up and folds out like a book. It wasn't until later when I discovered they weren't all made that way, with nice color photos from each film plastering the inner covers. I like to break it out every once in a while and just reflect on the old days. :angel:

The Master collection is by far the best, even though it doesn't have any special features. My set is the one where it opens up and folds out like a book. It wasn't until later when I discovered they weren't all made that way, with nice color photos from each film plastering the inner covers. I like to break it out every once in a while and just reflect on the old days. :angel:

Hmm, I don't have the box set, sounds nice. I bought all the loose packaged discs cheaper than picking them up boxed at the time.

Even though I grew up with the dubs, I still enjoy watching with the mandarin and cantonese tracks. As well as having the movies uncut, something that the Master Collection lacks. For me the Master Collection is great for what it is, but it's getting to be time for an upgrade.

Hmm, I don't have the box set, sounds nice. I bought all the loose packaged discs cheaper than picking them up boxed at the time.

Even though I grew up with the dubs, I still enjoy watching with the mandarin and cantonese tracks. As well as having the movies uncut, something that the Master Collection lacks. For me the Master Collection is great for what it is, but it's getting to be time for an upgrade.

Only WOTD is cut, if I recall correctly, except the kill scene at the end of Big Boss. Basically, they are the best editions of these films, imo. I did upgrade to both the Ultimate Collection, R1&3, and the HKL 30TH Anniversary Edition. Sadly, no single edition has everything. Some have better video, others have commentary, still others have better audio, and none have the original Mandarin track for Big Boss. What a mess.:nerd:

Only WOTD is cut, if I recall correctly, except the kill scene at the end of Big Boss. Basically, they are the best editions of these films, imo. I did upgrade to both the Ultimate Collection, R1&3, and the HKL 30TH Anniversary Edition. Sadly, no single edition has everything. Some have better video, others have commentary, still others have better audio, and none have the original Mandarin track for Big Boss. What a mess.:nerd:

I'd rather have the movies uncensored/uncut and the mandarin/cantonese tracks included with the english dubs myself.

Yeah, while only WOTD is the only cut film. The Big Boss was minorly censored for it's North American release. The finger stabbing, which was initially going to give the movie an X rating; was dropped in favor of an R. Besides, no one can really have a totally uncut version of that anyway unless a miracle happens. There are rumors of private collectors owning, original mandarin prints. Guess it makes no sense to me, Why you would want to keep something for yourself that might be lost to the world? Old films degrade with excessive wear and tear. Why not share it with other fans and work with a studio for it's release?

With the many versions released in Hong Kong, Europe and North America; I'm not too surprised about the quality variations. There has been talk about The Big Boss, Fist of Fury, and WOTD getting Blu-ray treatment in Hong Kong. It's only a matter of time, I remember reading an interview with a Fortune Star rep about them working on high def prints. There might be an all around definite collection yet.

I've always wanted to hear the Chinese audio, but I'll probably only watch it a few times, then go back to the English dub in this case. I grew up hearing, "So why did you kill my teacher then? Why did you kill teacher!? WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY!? WHY DID YOU KILL TEACHER!"

Love it.

Rumor has it Dragon Dynasty is going to be putting out Bruce Lee's films in 2009 on DVD and Blu-Ray.

Then we are guaranteed to see The Ultimate Fucked Up Editions of all The Little Dragon's films, Bey Logan, or not.

:mad:

BlurayStation3

I just found out about this too. The one released in 1999 is the fold-out version and the one released in 2002 is just a regular style packaging. I see them both on ebay.

I ordered the fold-out version even though I already have the Ultimate Collection. I've never seen the documentary that was in The Master Collection.

I just found out about this too. The one released in 1999 is the fold-out version and the one released in 2002 is just a regular style packaging. I see them both on ebay.

I ordered the fold-out version even though I already have the Ultimate Collection. I've never seen the documentary that was in The Master Collection.

I love TMC, and refuse to get rid of this set. Although there are no special features, they play great; and this set is the only place to get Game Of Death with the Original Columbia Pictures pre-credit opening logo, and decent stereo audio. The remastered film's audio is terrible, like it's muffled or something.

• Administrator
I love TMC, and refuse to get rid of this set. Although there are no special features, they play great; and this set is the only place to get Game Of Death with the Original Columbia Pictures pre-credit opening logo, and decent stereo audio. The remastered film's audio is terrible, like it's muffled or something.

I'm with Dragon. No matter what comes out in the future, I'm hanging on to my TMC version box set (with the fold out pics).:nerd:

Even now with the released Blu-Ray collection, The Master Collection rules as my favorite set. I'm so glad I purchased it, my first BL box set.

:nerd:

Archived