An Interview with Media Blasters Richard York: Shaws and Beyond!

gfanikf

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the interview! I sure as shit hope they get the MARTIAL CLUB eng dub! That would really be a shame if it does not come out dubbed, as I would not buy the movie! I really, really like it too! But I would stick to my jumper version if there is no dub!!!

Thanks.

Regarding Fortune Star, I'm getting the impression that having one contract per-region is the way they operate (Dragon Dynasty of course, holding it), so perhaps that won't happen with anyone else in the US.

I find it odd Celestial don't have those dubs - Martial Club in particular because it's not exactly an obscure title. I hope Celestial don't go too anal about externally-sourced audio, but I'm looking forward to this one. I'm just thinking of that annoying clapping during the opening scenes on the IVL DVD...

I managed to render something progressive recently, and it seemed to work easy:p. Maybe when working with different resources, it can vary, but I didn't find it particularly difficult.

Anyway, I'll be getting 'Brave Archer' which I've not seen before. More curious about 'Black Magic 2' because I've not seen the first film (in a half-assed presentation from Image) - will maybe try and get it in preparation if it's my thing. 'Ten Tigers' gets comments about it having a confusing story (perhaps better subs will help).

Anyway, I'll be getting 'Brave Archer' which I've not seen before. 'Ten Tigers' gets comments about it having a confusing story (perhaps better subs will help).

Chen, I honestly dont think you will like either of these films even if the subs are "improved". They are both convoluted movies where even the amount of action in these films cant save it from being a trainwreck.

The Running Man

I PM'ed gfanikf about getting MB to look at the thread here where people suggested MB add additional notes to Brave Archer since so much of the backstory is left out. Don't know if he passed on the message though.

What's the official language of the rest of the titles to be released by MB?

And gfanikf , did you ever pass on the message about keeping in mind what the official languages of these titles are so that the subtitles can be properly based on them? It's great they put on both Chinese tracks when they are available but the subtitles should be based on the official tracks unless they are willing to do two separate English subtitle tracks for each audio track, this is important to get handled. The Master is Cantonese and yet the subtitles were based on the Mandarin. If they are not sure what title's languages are which they can just ask here.

Regarding Fortune Star, I'm getting the impression that having one contract per-region is the way they operate (Dragon Dynasty of course, holding it), so perhaps that won't happen with anyone else in the US.

Linn said way back MB was going to get some Angela Mao titles through Fortune Star but the bootlegging made them think otherwise. If anything, MB could get a hold of some of the titles Fortune Star didn't remaster and request new prints.

RM,

I'd been meaning to pass that along but I wanted to get the interview up first and see if anything cropped up first. Can you just send me an email with the cultural notes and about the language to gfanikf@yahoo.com and I'll pass it along to Richard.

The Running Man

Sure. :)

Everyone, what's the official language of the rest of the titles to be released by MB?

THE BRAVE ARCHER

MARTIAL CLUB

TEN TIGERS FROM KWANGTUNG

BLACK MAGIC 2

THE FLAG OF IRON

FIVE ELEMENT NINJAS

Are all of those Mandarin and only Martial Club Cantonese?

Guest Markgway

THE BRAVE ARCHER - Mandarin

MARTIAL CLUB - Cantonese

TEN TIGERS FROM KWANGTUNG - Mandarin

BLACK MAGIC 2 - Mandarin

THE FLAG OF IRON - Mandarin

FIVE ELEMENT NINJAS - Mandarin

Linn said way back MB was going to get some Angela Mao titles through Fortune Star but the bootlegging made them think otherwise. If anything, MB could get a hold of some of the titles Fortune Star didn't remaster and request new prints.

That was before Dragon Dynasty were there. Not sure how it goes as I'd have to consider Media Asia (Columbia were at them and so were Tai Seng).

Chen, I honestly dont think you will like either of these films even if the subs are "improved". They are both convoluted movies where even the amount of action in these films cant save it from being a trainwreck.

Damn :(. Just have to see I suppose. Should put a bet on, although it's likely you'd win :P.

• Administrator

Chen Lung, I found BRAVE ARCHER to be chore to sit through. The first time I saw TEN TIGERS it was very confusing! Instead of just telling the story of these famous men, it shows them in flashback sequences and also tells the story of their young (early 20s) children/students in flash-forwards(?). Why they would do that instead of presenting their story in a more straight forward way I cannot fathom. But after seeing it again subbed, I really enjoyed it and didn't mind the twisted up story so much. IMO the fighting scenes were great, and it has one of my favorite villain deaths at the climax. It's worth seeing for sure.

i don't want to over simplify things but still --finding an english dub for MARTIAL CLUB should not be difficult as most shaw collectors should have some sort of copy by now as this movie has always been readily available.it even played on tv back in the old days. if worse came to worse they could just buy the panmedia version and lift the dub from there. i mean lets not pull another sirenvisual here and have these companies try to pull the old--we tried but we couldn't find an english dub routine--image has already tried this crap. a little bit of effort goes a long way. as for BLACK MAGIC 2 i'm pretty sure some people have claimed to have the dub--perhaps they could donate a copy.

yo--did a quick search---found an english dub of BLACK MAGIC 2 at VSOM--could always lift the dub from this one. just thought i'd throw that in--not so hard to find if you just put a little effort in. thanks---oh by the way i'm not supporting bootlegs--i'm just saying if you want the dub bad enough you can find it.

i don't want to over simplify things but still --finding an english dub for MARTIAL CLUB should not be difficult as most shaw collectors should have some sort of copy by now as this movie has always been readily available.it even played on tv back in the old days. if worse came to worse they could just buy the panmedia version and lift the dub from there. i mean lets not pull another sirenvisual here and have these companies try to pull the old--we tried but we couldn't find an english dub routine--image has already tried this crap. a little bit of effort goes a long way. as for BLACK MAGIC 2 i'm pretty sure some people have claimed to have the dub--perhaps they could donate a copy.

Siren didn't have the clout and did not have the type of contract where they had more control over the materials that Dragon Dynasty or Media Blasters does so you are wrong on that assumption. Not to also mention, Celestial was the one dragging their feet in finding those dubs for the distros and it wasnt till that whole library of congress circle jerk that things began to "change".

Guest Markgway

The Brave Archer sequels make the saga more convoluted and confusing.

If you don't like the first one avoid the rest because that's the best of the four.

That was a great interview. It's a shame there's no HD masters for Black Magic 2 and Ten Tigers, but judging by media blasters track record. There will definitely look a hell of a lot better than IMAGE and IVL. Here's hoping they get the dubs for black magic 2 and martial club.

Archived