Hero Among Heroes (1993)

Iron_Leopard

I like this movie but it could have been so much better without the character of Begger So's Aunt. What does everyone else think? Thumbs up or thumbs down?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never seen the original. I got tricked into buying Fist of the Red Dragon thinking it was something else. And of course that version is english only. My nominee for worst dubbed kung fu movie ever.

I've never seen the original. I got tricked into buying Fist of the Red Dragon thinking it was something else. And of course that version is english only. My nominee for worst dubbed kung fu movie ever.

I bought my at moviestop and it has the orginal track. Only $4, used

• Administrator
Been a while since I watched it too, but I remember enjoying it. You know theres a new BIG budget Beggar Su film coming out starring Vincent Zhao directed by YWP! Zhao on new Beggar Su film from wujing.org

This is the perfect candidate for a remake. Great idea- poor execution. Now Yuen Sifu- make it right this time please?;)

Thumbs up for action, thumbs down for the family histrionics, that woman did my head in :quiet:

Couldn't have said it better :).

My favorite scene is where Wong Fei Hung fights the Korean guy smoking the pipe at the table when he's trying to buy the ginsing root, an interesting fight when he grabs the pipe as he's smoking it. The fights in this definitely gets better as the movie goes on once you get past the goofy parts.

My favorite scene is where Wong Fei Hung fights the Korean guy smoking the pipe at the table when he's trying to buy the ginsing root, an interesting fight when he grabs the pipe as he's smoking it. The fights in this definitely gets better as the movie goes on once you get past the goofy parts.

cosign, great sequence

any fight involving a smoking pipe is usually great. there's a good one in Legend of the Fighter if i remember correctly

Fei Hung cooking ginseng in his bare hand was awesome. Is there anything this character is not capable of?

On 10/22/2008 at 12:58 PM, chen lung said:

Yeah, finding an actor who resists the urge of wire-fu:p.

I think we found it. Eddy Peng...wait..never mind.

I revisited this earlier this year, and I still can't really get into it. Donnie Yen's fights, mainly the finale, are fun to watch, but the film on the whole just feels tired and uninspired.

3 hours ago, DrNgor said:

I revisited this earlier this year, and I still can't really get into it. Donnie Yen's fights, mainly the finale, are fun to watch, but the film on the whole just feels tired and uninspired.

What makes it even more disappointing is it came out the same year as "Iron Monkey" and "Tai Chi Master". Maybe YWP just exhausted himself in 93.

The action is good for the most part but it's one of many unbearable WFH knock-offs produced at the time. Cheap, rushed (filmmakers and actors worked on 2-3 movies at the same time!) and over-usage of similar themes.

One Armed Boxer
On ‎19‎-‎10‎-‎2008 at 11:59 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

This is the perfect candidate for a remake. Great idea- poor execution. Now Yuen Sifu- make it right this time please?;)

You got your wish with 'True Legend' right @KUNG FU BOB?

I like the film. Yes, Sheila Chan is annoying as fuck, but all in all Hero Among Heroes has a solid story for this kind of martial arts flick, the production values are clearly higher than most OUATIC-rip-offs and the fight scenes are cool, albeit suffering a bit from massive under-cranking. It was much more enjoyable than the lame True Legend.

1 hour ago, kami said:

It was much more enjoyable than the lame True Legend

Please take that back, or pistols at dawn, kind sir.

Archived