Bruceploitation appreciation thread!!!

edher_M.A.

I remember when i was younger my mother told me "son, don't take everything so serious, learn to relax and enjoy life.." When it came to Bruce Lee, oh boy, i was so serious about him and as a serious compromised Bruce Lee fan, i HATED the bruce lee clones and there movies. I found them offensive, tasteless and very bad.

Now, years later, i took my mom's advice and give them a try. After watching them, i found those movies were pretty entertained. I laugh and laugh a LOT with them now that i stop been so serious about Bruce Lee.

God this movies are funny as hell. The dialog, the script, i mean, they are a mess , so mess that fall in the "so BAD is GOOD". Now i collect them with the same pasion i used to collect the Bruce Lee originals.

Another thing i founded was that those Bruce Lee clones were not bad as a martial artist. Bruce Lee fans use to say that those guy were bad, but not at all, they are not bad, the problem is that they are not Bruce Lee. On there own, i think some of them are pretty good.

People claim that Bruce Lee was so bad ass at Wing Chun but Bruce Li showed more Wing Chun in his movies than Bruce Lee ever did!!! Bruce Le wasn't that bad either. What ruined him (besided imitating BL) was that he took part in many Godfrey "cut & paste" Ho movies and all Korean Bruce Lee's imitators showed great kicking techniques.

We know and we have heard all the BAD things posible about the bruceploitation, now i wish i could see if someone else enjoy this kind of movies, come on people, they weren't all THAT bad, you just need to see them as what they are lol

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

I am interested in seeing the movies listed, because I can't think of many bruceploitation movies I like except for Fist of Fury 2. And Dragon Lives Again is funny.

Morgoth Bauglir

Oh yeah there are some good ones:p But I don't like The Man The Myth. I didn't see anything good in that movie. And I thought Blind Fist was decent at best. Is Dragon's Claws the one with Hwang Jang Lee? I haven't seen that.

Way of the Dragon

'the man, the myth' is really good, it showed some good training sequences.

I'd quite like to see 'Enter the fat dragon' with Sammo Hung, i also want to see some other movies with Bruce Li like 'Exit the Dragon, Enter the Tiger', 'The Deadly Strike' and 'The Gold Connection'. Ive put them on my amazon wishlist but havent brought them yet.

bruceleeclones

Without doubt, Bruce Li was the most polished of the three main clones. I agree with what edher_M.A. said, too many of Bruce Lee fans take them far too seriously. What i really cant stand these people who still complain about the Bruce Lee Clones even after all these years, get over it. Of course the real Bruce Lee was a legend, and im just as big a Bruce Lee fan as anyone, but what is the point in still making pointless remarks about how much greater he was compared to his impersonators.

One of the reasons i started my site in the first place was because there is so much wrong or bad information around when it comes to these movies. Alternative titling can be a nightmare to those new to watching them.

Way of the Dragon

a good point there bruceleeclones

im a massive fan of bruce lee but i dont complain about the clones because everyone loves bruce and so many want to be like him. I like to watch the films with the clones because i like to see them capturing Bruce lee and trying to be like the master. we all know bruce lee cannot be replaced but its good to see how much of an influence he has on people, how much people want to be like him. Bruce Lee also was going to be in so many films which he could not do because he died, its good to see clones creating these films to tribute him.

kungfusamurai

I think Ho Chung Tao/Bruce Li was in the better films overall. Better stories, better fighting, better costars. Bruce Le was in a lot of terrible films. His fighting was okay, but I don't feel he was as impressive to watch as Ho Chung Tao. The funniest Bruceploitation actor has to be Dragon Lee. He's got pretty good hapkido skills, but he's just such a caricature. He always seems to break out the white t-shirt and black pants, and he just seems to be a little over the top when he gets mad, shaking his head and fists.

KFS

bruce li forever. so underrated. bruce le....well...im not a fan of his AS MUCH, but still has some good flicks.

i wrote a thread about this along time ago explaining my position on the lee clones. i was young and since bruce only had a handful of films, i learned to appreciate the clones as a "continuation" of his films...even thought they were not as good. i just had fun with them.

and i stand by my statement before. say what you want about the clones, but i believe that they kept the genre alive even at it's lowest points here in the united states

thegoldenstate

It seems to me like the various clones have gotten a fair amount of positive attention on this forum in the past. As far as people bad-mouthing them, well, I don't think that anyone truly expects Le or whoever to be "as good as" Lee...rather, I think the negative treatment results from a combination of factors-- ranging from the silliness of some of the attempts to imitate him and the sheer ineptness of some of the filmmaking associated with the clones... to more serious complaints involving how Lee's personal life was dragged through the mud in some of the "biopics" that purported to tell his story, as well as some of the deceptive ways in which these films have been marketed over time.

It's nice that Ho Chung-tao has expressed regret for having gotten himself involved in some of these projects, but I don't know if he's ever addressed the fact that at least two of them featured outrageously inaccurate and sleazy portrayals of Lee as well as his family members' and colleagues' lives...

Granted, Ho later appeared in The Man, The Myth, which is perhaps the most benign of the biopics from that era, but even it is rife with inaccuracies and distortions. At a certain point it boggles the mind-- is it really so difficult to craft a reasonably accurate portrayal of Lee's life?

thegoldenstate

I'll chime in with some of my own opinions on these films that people mentioned upthread:

Tower of Death- silly Game of Death-redux story, but great action courtesy of choreographer Yuen Wo-ping and actors Hwang Jang Lee, Casanova Wong, Roy Horan

Enter the Fat Dragon- have never seen it, but it seems to be universally appreciated

Bruce Lee the Man, the Myth- way overrated in my book, but seeing what its competition was, I can understand why people give it a fair shake

Blind Fist of Bruce Lee- I'm convinced that this must be one of the worst films that Simon Yuen appeared in. A snoozer.

Dragon Claw's- I don't think I've ever seen this one, but having something of a weakness for Dragon Lee, I think I could stand to watch him and Hwang Jang Lee go at it

Exit the Dragon, Enter the Tiger- Better production than many other films of its type, but I found this one to be pretty dull, all in all.

The Deadly Strike- Best "Bruce Li" film I've seen. He doesn't try to do "Bruce" in this one, which has a "Deadly Dozen"-type plot similar to Incredible Kung Fu Mission (the John Liu flick).

The Gold Connection- Never seen it but would be curious to, based on reviews I've read.

well, i didn't mention Deadly Strike or The Chinese Stuntman because i don't consider those films as "bruceploitation" ones. They are Ho Chung Tao Films. The only thing in common with the other bruceploitation films is that it stars Bruce Li other than that you don't see any story of Bruce Lee, or his name, or his body gestures or anything.

I'm not sure if we should consider those films as bruceploitation because they have nothing to do with the bruce one.

At least Bruce Li can do his own acrobatics. lol :) Bruce Lee can't :P

The story goes; after he injured his back in the late '60's Lee cut back on any type of tumbling and what not. He was one of the most agile MA's around in the US at the time. When he did the HK films, he hated having to be doubled on gymnastic shots, and the reason was because of his back. He could do basic somersaults and no hand flips. See the GOD fight between he and Chi Hon Jae. When being flipped, Lee fell hard and did not require a double. As far as the multiple acrobatics, the HK Peking Opera trained stuntmen were the best, so why not let them make him look good. The few times Yuen Wah did double him, no one knew he was being doubled until it was revealed years later.

You know why none knew he was being double by Yuen Wah?? Because i think none even questioned he did those somersaults. lol We all thought Bruce Lee could do anything so why even think he was been double?? lol

I had a friend who refused to believe that Bruce Lee needed a double for those somesaults. :)

Morgoth Bauglir
'the man, the myth' is really good, it showed some good training sequences.

You got me there. I do remember a good training scene.

Bruce Li (James Ho Chung Tao) was undoubtably the best of the imitators, being both awful when he started out and an accomplished screenfighter/actor by the time he called it quits. Some of his later work still stands up today (Deadly Strike, Dynamo, Gold Connection, Chinese Stuntman). His best fighting performance (and best film in my opinion) is Soul Brothers of kung fu....but try and see an uncut copy....it's the dogs!

Some of the 'Bruce Lee' type fare was worthwhile too (Man & Myth, Exit the Dragon-Enter the Tiger, Fist of Fury 2 & 3)...almost being a re-casting type of affair as per James Bond. - Li for Lee. More than anyone, he kept the LEGEND of Bruce Lee alive for a lot of fans.

Morgoth Bauglir

Image of Bruce Lee I suppose could be called a bruceploitation movie, because of Bolo and Han Ying Chieh. Bolo just tears up the screen. One of his best roles.

I still need to see "The Clones of Bruce Lee" . When i saw the trailer on youtube, im sure is going to be one of the funniest. I'll try to see it tomorrow.

By the way, besides Bolo, there's another villian that seems to be in most bruceploitation films, the one and only KONG DO!!! the man is fighting machine. lol

edher, when I was younger, I too took Bruce Lee films too seriously and didn't care too much for the clones. However, I too have matured and gotta say I am a huge fan of Bruce Li, or James Ho. He not only have polished skills in wing chun, but he was actually a decent kicker. My favorite Bruce Li films are: Last Strike (Soul Brothers of Kung Fu), Bruce Lee: The Invincible, Dynamo, Counter Attack (Chinese Stuntman), The Three Avengers

My 2nd favorite of the clones is Dragon Lee, or Vyachaslev Yasynski. Was a protege of Hapkido grandmaster Hwang In-Shik (or Whang In Sik). Loved Champ Against Champ where he has a steel leg. Also liked Dragon's Infernal Showdown and the clips I saw of Emperor of the Underworld where he took on Hwang Jang-Lee.

3rd favorite goes to Bruce Le, or Wong Kin-Lung. Like Dragon Lee, he tried too hard to be like Bruce the most. Went on to do some exploitative B-films like Comfort Women and spent time in prison for embezzlement.

Enter the Fat Dragon will be a classic for Sammo idolizing Bruce and acting like him. Definitely worth getting...especially when he beats up Tony Leung Siu-Hung (as a Bruce-alike) for doing a BAD impersonation of Bruce!!!

bruceleeclones

Bruce Le and Dragon Lee movies do have some good moments, but Li's are more watchable to the average kung fu movie fan. I suppose it all depends on peoples taste. Martial monks of Shaolin Temple is amongst my favs of Dragon Lee's. For Bruce Le, id go for Return of Bruce or Bruce's Fingers.

Also, a quick point, Dragon Lee's real name isnt Vyachaslev Yasynski, that name come from the bogus info about him that was floating around the net a few years ago.

Archived