Most UNDER-rated kung fu actor of all time

edher_M.A.

ironfistedmonk

I'd agree Hsiao Hou and Wong Yue don't get the credit they deserve, they get panned for the comedy roles they played but no recognition for some of the great films they starred in.

Tung Li is another under-rated actor IMO, the guy has character, he can play good guy and villain roles and he looks tough as hell.

...a guy whom I don't see mentioned that often, but who IMHO deserves to be mentioned - Law Lok Lam... Worked mostly for TV, but he's IMHO great action-wise - and a very decent actor, too.

And I'd toss in Wai Pak, too - I really think he's getting way more bad rep than he actually deserves...

Guest Yi-Long

- Chin Siu Ho

- Brad Allen

- Yuen Biao, not by any of us, but he has just been in too few movies that REALLY showcased him well.

- Joe Eigo

- Mark Dacascos

- Yi Long (I'm really fantastic)

- Tan Tao Liang

- Benny Lai

- Max Mok?

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah Yi Long may be underrated. he is a above average. And I don't know how much of the action Max Mok was actually involved with in Fire Dragon, but he gives a good acting performance. but other than Fire Dragon and The Assassin he never really did it for me.

Yes, after watching Operation Scorpio, i wonder why Kim Won Jin didn't get more starring roles. He's gold.

Heard he got sick sometime after Operation Scorpio and had to go easy for a while.

I don't know why everyone knocks this guy, but Hsiao Ho, this guy can unwrap a proper package of kickass onscreen.

I think that he's quality, without a doubt, at least every movie I have seen him in up to this point.

Morgoth Bauglir

Damian Lau I think is underrated. He is great in Last Hurrah for Chivalry. Too bad he didn't start acting in movies until 1979, but he started his career off with a bang. And speaking of Last Hurrah, that reminds me of another guy who is underrated, Chin Yuet Sang. Also, muscleman Cheng Lui. I better stop now, I think everyone is underrated :P

Morgoth Bauglir
I don't know why everyone knocks this guy, but Hsiao Ho, this guy can unwrap a proper package of kickass onscreen.

How could ANYONE possibly knock him?!? I first saw him in Disciples of the 36th Chamber. I was surprised to see a guy so little look so powerful.

I'll add Charlie Chan and Chai kai- both always provide solid support in any films they are in Legend of a fighter and 7 Steps of Kung Fu among them

For most under used actor one that would spring to mind is Wong Jin maybe he just didn't get the breaks...

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah Chia Kai has some of the sickest moves around. He lights up the screen in pretty much everything I see him in, even in a horrible movie like Mantis vs Falcons Claws. And I agree Wong Jin was probably underused, because I don't know if I've ever heard of him:p What movies hs he been in?

Of all the guys mention above, Damien Lau is probably my personal favorite. He becomes a decent drama actor himself. Very versatile, much kudo to Damien Lau Chung-Yun

Yeah Chia Kai has some of the sickest moves around. He lights up the screen in pretty much everything I see him in, even in a horrible movie like Mantis vs Falcons Claws. And I agree Wong Jin was probably underused, because I don't know if I've ever heard of him:p What movies hs he been in?

He's in the scorpion king (HKL) and he wasn't used enough in that movie!!!!!

Morgoth Bauglir

Oh ok, I didn't recognize his name spelled like that I guess. I thought he got a good showcase in Scorpion King, but it would have been nice to see him in more movies.

Morgoth Bauglir

I would like to see him in any upcoming movie! He made a short comeback and was in No Problem 2 with Yuen Biao and China Strike Force (remember you had to point him out to me in that movie, at least I think it was you C-town Kid), but since then he has been doing action choreography. Probably easier on the body:p

I wonder what Won Jin is up to these days? I would like to see him in an upcoming movie with Tony Jaa or Donnie Yen.

Yeah in a period piece maybe with minimal wire work -and Yuen Woo Ping action directing.

Being serious though the likes of Jin and Jaa would have thrived in the golden era of the late 70s - 85.

Surerly there are some mainland directors who could work with these guys and make a decent traditional kung fu movie

Won Jin does a lot of the action choreography for new Korean movies now. The "My Wife is a Gangster" trilogy is probably the most notable - nothing really innovative or great in it though.

Yeah Damian Lau is quite good in non martial arts roles. Always a pleasure to see him in a movie.

Quite good? :-) You're master of understatement...;-) He's an *excellent* actor...;-)

shaolindogpaw

50 posts and nobody mentioned the greatest under rated action star of all time: The man, the myth, the legend that is... Elton Chong!

• Like 1