Monkey Kung fu (1980)

ching li

There are two movies with this title, but one of these is said to have chen kuan tai's brother as the star. So I got a bit confused, I know ching siu tung starred in Monkey kung fu, but I don't think he is his brother unless it was something I found out late. It was said the star is a real life monkey kung fu practicer. Can someone clear this up for me, who is chen kuan tai's brother? Thanks.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

I don't know about Chen Kuan Tai's brother, but I am guessing the movie you are asking about is Monkey fist Floating Snake. The star is Chan Muk Chuen. Him, Pomson Shi and Kuan Tai studied under Chan Sau Chung (who is brilliant at monkey kung fu, and was the star of a movie called Monkey Fist, which could also be the movie you are asking about).

And on a side note, Chin Siu Ho says in his interview for Fist of Legend that his teacher was Sin Lan-Yuk aka Pomson Shi. Thanks to Jimbo on kungfumagazine.com for pointing this out to me. I love info like that:D

• Like 1

Killer Meteor

Although this is a fairly annoying kung fu comedy with ugly leads that appallingly wastes Chen Sing and Yueh Hua, it is notable for the unusual way that the second half has the villain sitting by a river contemplating how to improve after a defeat and then getting a Rocky-ish training montage.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

...it is notable for the unusual way that the second half has the villain sitting by a river contemplating how to improve after a defeat and then getting a Rocky-ish training montage.

Yeah, this is the only kung fu movie I'm aware of it where it's the villain who gets the redemptive training arc.

• Like 3

Is the Monkey Kung Fu that 88 Films are releasing in March any good? It'll be a blind buy for me and it's a little confusing as there seems to be a few titles with the same name that differ in quality.

Edited by andy338
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, andy338 said:

Is the Monkey Kung Fu that 88 Films are releasing in March any good? It'll be a blind buy for me and it's a little confusing as there seems to be a few titles with the same name that differ in quality.

Long story short: Yes...it's very good.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, andy338 said:

The Shaw brothers one is fantastic,if you have seen Five Superfighters and liked that then you won’t be disappointed.Same director and some of the same cast.👍

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

Long story short: Yes...it's very good.

1 hour ago, sym8 said:

The Shaw brothers one is fantastic,if you have seen Five Superfighters and liked that then you won’t be disappointed.Same director and some of the same cast.👍

Great, thanks guys. Definitely going to pick this up then. :) 

• Like 3

@andy338 this movie is beast af. If you enjoy monkey kung fu you'll love the opening sequence. Its a typical Shaw Bros intro that grabs your attention so quick. The story is pretty simple, dont expect too much. But just like Five superfighters, the fight scenes and training scenes are absolutely good. You'll love it!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ah_Tao said:

@andy338 this movie is beast af. If you enjoy monkey kung fu you'll love the opening sequence. Its a typical Shaw Bros intro that grabs your attention so quick. The story is pretty simple, dont expect too much. But just like Five superfighters, the fight scenes and training scenes are absolutely good. You'll love it!

I'm really looking forward to it now! I saw a review comparing it to Knockabout as they both use the acrobatic Monkey Style and that is another of my favourites. Roll on March!

• Like 2

A fellow old schooler told me this MONKEY KUNG FU was one of the biggest SB hits in New York theaters for World Northal, which is likely why it was quickly put on Black Belt Theater packages for tv syndication.  

• Like 3