The Avenger aka Queen Boxer

Guest Markgway

Guest Markgway

How long does the full uncut version of this film last?

And can anyone describe the cuts made to various existant versions?

Looking over my notes I have the run time down as 79 mins, which obviously means the print I saw was cut to shit. :(

I think it was some English-German hybrid which is always bad news.

Does anyone posess a Mandarin-subbed print?

Thx.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

US Version: 85 mins NTSC=cut in 4 Scenes of Dialogue (Credit Sequence is cut almost totally) English Audio

Celestial Print: 82 min PAL=Cut in 3 Scenes of Dialogue (same as above, one is included missing in the Above) has original ENGLISH Credits Sequence, approx 2 mins. Mandarin Audio

German Version=81 mins PAL=cut in 1 Dialogue Scene, some Violence, and some Gambling.. has German Credits Sequence, approx 1 min

Arab Print: no runtime due to being an incomplete Copy here, but was complete once (before it was played so often it got damaged). has all the Dialogue and Violence and a full Credit Sequence in Chinese (approx 3 mins) Mandarin Audio.

a composite of the German with the Celestial Print would be almost complete, only the Credits Sequence suffers.

UK DVD is a NTSC-PAL Conversion of the US DVD, 100% same. btw, absolutely horrid Fullscreen on those.

Guest Markgway

Thanks for the detailed run down.

Sucks that there's no uncut version. I wonder who has the DVD rights to the Fong Ming productions in Hong Kong? The chances of an uncut release (at least without mixing and matching) seem very slim.

If what I saw was 79m then it was probably the German version but without the German credits.

I wonder why this film in particular was edited so many times? I understand in Germany it was for censorship but elsewhere? It's actually quite short - even uncut it would run probably a little less than 90 mins.

I gather MIG are intending on putting out a almost complete hybrid. At least someone is trying. Vengeance put in bugger all effort into their releases.

So am I right in saying that the proposed DVD would offer Mandarin and German audio tracks with subtitles to fill in the untranslated scenes? (Along the lines of the uncut Deaf and Mute Heroine that's doing the rounds)

Due to the nature of the cuts (and the likely superior remastered quality of a Celestial print) I presume the footage missing from the Mandarin version would be taken from the German print and inserted?

I take it the quality of the Chinese credits from the Arabic source are too poor to use? If so I guess the 2 mins of English credits from the Celestial would be the next best thing?

How complex!?!

as the company in germany has no acess to the Celestial Print in its Original Form it can't be used as a Master for the Movie. only TV Companies who buy dozens of Movies in a package can afford such stuff. so the battered German Print is the Base plus comparably lousy inserts in 2.35 from a VHS Source of a TV Airing of the Celestial Version would be used most likely. there's a possibility of an almost complete Mandarin Track when using the Arab Print i'm sure. only English will never be complete.

I hope this shows on the celestial channel again. It would be great to get a subbed copy. Does celestial plan on releasing the film on dvd eventually?

Guest Markgway
as the company in germany has no acess to the Celestial Print in its Original Form it can't be used as a Master for the Movie. only TV Companies who buy dozens of Movies in a package can afford such stuff. so the battered German Print is the Base plus comparably lousy inserts in 2.35 from a VHS Source of a TV Airing of the Celestial Version would be used most likely. there's a possibility of an almost complete Mandarin Track when using the Arab Print i'm sure. only English will never be complete.

I don't bother with English dubs but an almost complete Mandarin version would be cool. Will MIG do English subs for this or only German?

When I see a movie abridged I always feel like I haven't seen the movie proper.

A better idea for the Celestial footage would be to obtain a DVD-R of a TV airing which should look a lot better than the VHS and come closer to matching the film reels. Maybe someone here has it recorded?

Guest Markgway

Believe me mate. If I had access to The Celestial Channel I'd be more than happy to record it on disc for you. You need to tap up the Asian/Aussie forum members. If it was on some bugger must've recorded it!! lol

Which company is releasing QB? I saw MIG in your sig and assumed.

I wonder how many times the 'Shaft' theme is used in HK movies...

Yes, it would be nice if someone had the Celestial Channel.

Guest Markgway

Since there's no sign of the uncut 93 min version ever showing up can anyone post the FOUR dialogue scenes cut from the 84 min English Dub? The original Chinese credits sequence from the Arab version Spannick mentions would be nice to see also.

Archived