Crying Freeman film adaptations

GwaiLoMoFo

I've always been a fan of the "Crying Freeman" anime. I havent seen alot of it, but what I have I always thought was pretty good. I only know of 3 film adaptations based on the manga/anime. I have both "Dragon From Russia" and the "Crying Freeman" film w/Mark Decascos. Never been much of a fan of "Dragon From Russia". Thought it had some good action, but overall not a good film. I thought that the Decascos "Crying Freeman" film was much truer to the anime, and a much better all around film. I havent seen Phillip Ko's "Killer's Romance", which I have been told is also an adaption. I have read some mixed reviews of it. Any of you guys seen it, and is it worth tracking down? And are there any other film adaptations?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

I didn't like Killer's Romance, but one of the few bright spots was that Simon Yam looks very good in his fights. I wasn't expecting that.

• Administrator

I agree with Morgoth that Simon did a good job with the choreography, but the film seemed... How shall I put it? Too small for the subject matter, you know? Cheap and rushed. Picture RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK on CLERKS budget.;)

It was just okay. I saw it via a VHS release of it when it first hit North America, so I can't recommend a good digital version to you.

The Running Man
I have both "Dragon From Russia" and the "Crying Freeman" film w/Mark Decascos. Never been much of a fan of "Dragon From Russia". Thought it had some good action, but overall not a good film.

I think that's a gross understatement on the Dragon From Russia's action. That movie's action scenes are among the best of the 80s.

Even though it's from the 90's? I remember Dragon from Russia having some good action, but it wasn't particularly well-aided by the storyline or direction. I also remember the earlier fights being better than the later ones, which is always disappointing.

crying freeman did stick to the story line very well and had pretty good action like previously stated. dragon from russia and killer's romance are gonna be dissappointments to fans of the anime/manga

That movie's action scenes are among the best of the 80s.

That a bit of an overstatement, of course its always a matter of taste. They just got ridiculous with the wires. Its been a few years since I watched it, but dont remember anything remarkable about the action. Except it turned into a wuxia film towards the end.

there is another one called "killer must die". It's a taiwan movie with exactly the same story than crying freeman. But this movie is not really good...

I rather like DRAGON FROM RUSSIA. KILLER'S ROMANCE suffers from a low budget and Simon Yam's hacky Alain Delon impression. CRYING FREEMAN is a fine, faithful to the manga movie...but DRAGON is just so much damn fun. Plus, "To Be a Freeman" is the closest Cantopop will ever get to a Montrose tune. You can also match every fight scenes to a particular period of HK action.

The Running Man
Even though it's from the 90's?

My bad! :D When I thought of the movie, it seemed kinda 80s to me from memory.

That a bit of an overstatement, of course its always a matter of taste. They just got ridiculous with the wires.

I don't have a prejudice with wires like some people do. When wire work is well done I appreciate it because unlike what some people think, wire work is a skill and a craft of it's own. And this one in particular had some excellent wire work.

I stand by my statement (with a slight correction ;) ) that the action is among the best of the "90s". The very first time I watched it my mouth kept dropping and I still go back to it. The choreography from Yuen Tak is just stellar. Also, one of the very few movies to not only incorporate nunchucks in the action scenes, but to do it very well. Top notch action.

Now if only a movie could combine the faithfulness of Christophe Gans' movie with the action from Dragon From Russia, well...

I don't have a prejudice with wires like some people do. When wire work is well done I appreciate it because unlike what some people think, wire work is a skill and a craft of it's own. And this one in particular had some excellent wire work.

I have no prejudice against wirework in films. I just thought it poorly done, especially at the end (It was just silly imo). I love Iron Monkey, thats how wirework is done!

I thought the crying freeman movie kicked ass! some good action and some good dialog in that movie! I agree it is very true to the Anime.

I thought Dragon from russia was garbage. You cant polish a turd! Even if it had a FEW decient fight scenes. I agree that the wire work was way over the top!

gravedigger666

I did like dragon from russia and have crying freeman dacascos gathering dust in shelf over a year.Gonna watch it today because some here actually liked it.

Morgoth Bauglir

I could have used more action in the Dacascos version, but still a good movie. Makes me want to see the anime.

Archived