Ong Bak 2

thedirtytiger

Interesting conversations for sure. Back to the topic if I may...I finally saw Ong Bak 2 today and I thought it was awesome. The production values are great, I liked the story (of course it was written to get from action scene to action scene) and OF COURSE what would a Tony Jaa movie be without action and HOLY SHIIIIIITTTTTT did he deliever!! Every fight was great and the movie flew by. The ending yeah but it's going to lead to Ong Bak 3 sooooo....I don't find it that bad.

All in all great movie. Tony Jaa makes a good director. Hopefully no more crazy stuff happens during the filming of the next one.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest WuxiaFan

Watched the Malay version of OB2 over the weekend.

Action:

Tony Jaa was phenominal to say the least. It's awesome to watch him do different styles. There's not much he can't do. Loved him with the 3-sectional staff! It was incredible. The finale was unbelievable! I watched it twice because I was in so much amazement. Didn't really get who he was fighting on top of the elephant, but whatever. Also, I was hoping the elephant would step on some of the bad guys, but after thinking about it, that probably would have really killed the stuntman. :o

Story:

For the story, I think he tried to write too much into it. The way the movie ended really made no sense to me. I just felt like he had to throw in a twist when it wasn't necessary. There was no reason for it. None. Also, why have the girl in the film if that's not going to be developed? That was disappointing, too. I'm also not big on naming a film "part 2" if it has nothing to do with the first film. I did not go into this film thinking it was an actual sequal to ONG BAK, but why name it ONG BAK 2, other than to make money? That bugs me. It will somewhat be marginalized if ONG BAK 3 is a true sequal to OB2 and picks up right where OB2 leaves off. I mean, the story can't just end there. I'm a sucker for happy endings and good triumphing over evil.

The Malay DVD:

If you look up the definition of "bare-bones DVD", this DVD will be pictured there. There's absolutely nothing except the movie. I mean nothing-no outakes, no trailers. Nothing. So, I will be anxiously awaiting for either the Magnolia DVD or an overseas distributor to put together the plethora of outakes, making of, etc, etc, etc. that has to exist. Anybody who sees this film would want to see how Tony Jaa and his stuntman did it. I'm sure a lot of people got hurt doing this movie. Subtitles-yes you have to start the movie and then turn on the English subs with your remote. Make sure the Chinese subs are off. The subtitles are well written and easy to read. There is a chapter selection menu with only 6 chapters, so its easy to go right back to the action. The transfer is awesome. The picture is crystal clear, colors vibrant and crisp. This disc is worth getting for the transfer.

Didn't really get who he was fighting on top of the elephant, but whatever.

Lmao i dont think Tony did either, i love his facial expression when Dan Chupong's character just randomly comes out of nowhere.

Watched the Malay version of OB2 over the weekend.

Story:

For the story, I think he tried to write too much into it. The way the movie ended really made no sense to me. I just felt like he had to throw in a twist when it wasn't necessary. There was no reason for it. None. Also, why have the girl in the film if that's not going to be developed? That was disappointing, too. I'm also not big on naming a film "part 2" if it has nothing to do with the first film. I did not go into this film thinking it was an actual sequal to ONG BAK, but why name it ONG BAK 2, other than to make money? That bugs me. It will somewhat be marginalized if ONG BAK 3 is a true sequal to OB2 and picks up right where OB2 leaves off. I mean, the story can't just end there. I'm a sucker for happy endings and good triumphing over evil.

I'm wondering if the Ong Bak statue makes it's way into the 3rd film, they had it in the opening credits, if they do show it, it would be all I need to have it tie in, I think Jaa's character is some kind of Buddhist crusader, his name is very similar from the first, Ting -Tiang, maybe he reincarnates and is bound to this certian buddhist statue.

I agree though I wish they would of developed the female character a little more in the first one, she had the great dance and is very beautiful, hopefully they'll spend more time on her character in the second but I have a feeling it will take a back seat to the fighting.

daisho2004

Believe me when this movie gets its US release the name will be totally different! And I agree with a lot of stuff said the Dance scenes were way to long almost 5minutes I think if I'm right. And the end was very confusing, and about the relationship with him and the Girl he didn't even remember who she was. But I did kinda like that for a change instead of focusing on a love story it was more about revenge!

Believe me when this movie gets its US release the name will be totally different! And I agree with a lot of stuff said the Dance scenes were way to long almost 5minutes I think if I'm right. And the end was very confusing, and about the relationship with him and the Girl he didn't even remember who she was. But I did kinda like that for a change instead of focusing on a love story it was more about revenge!

Yeah that's why I won't be buying the US dumbed down version, they cut out the dance scenes all together in TYG. I liked the dance scene, thought it was great how jaa kept changing masks while flipping around. I agree though keep it more about the fighting, it's almost like he took a page from a Chang Cheh film, under developed female characters, abrubt endings, Ong Bak 2 is like the modern age 10 Tigers from KwangtungXD

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I agree though keep it more about the fighting, it's almost like he took a page from a Chang Cheh film, under developed female characters, abrubt endings, Ong Bak 2 is like the modern age 10 Tigers from KwangtungXD

Tosh, remember when I first described it, I said it felt like Tony's answer to a Shaw Film? Glad you felt it too.

Tosh, remember when I first described it, I said it felt like Tony's answer to a Shaw Film? Glad you felt it too.

I really hope he keeps going in that direction:nerd:

make believe
Yeah that's why I won't be buying the US dumbed down version, they cut out the dance scenes all together in TYG. I liked the dance scene, thought it was great how jaa kept changing masks while flipping around.

If it does get released through Magnolia as it is supposed to be, then it really shouldn't be dumbed down or edited. At least I hope. I may just end up picking the Malaysian version to be on the safe side.

Drunken Monk

So, the wife finally said those magic words to me, last night..."let's watch Ong Bak 2."

While I am very pleased with the movie, it's certainly not without its flaws. Way too many slow motion shots, moments in which it takes itself a little too seriously and I felt the action wasn't well paced. I wasn't actually truly happy with the action until the final showdown.

By the way, when Tony takes on the two guys on the raised platform (where he uses Tiger Style), I don't think I've been more excited by on screen fighting in a long time. It blew my mind.

While the action proves Jaa to be far from a one trick pony, my preferences affected my opinion. I like the stylized fighting with the bam-bam-bam blocking and nobody really getting hit, if you know what I mean. While "Ong Bak 2" has its fair share, a lot of the fighting was just, dare I say it, too real for me. While I think this is incredible, I think I'm more a fan of the fighting in, say, "Ip Man."

Looking passed the plot holes, the shoddy moments and that ending, I loved "Ong Bak 2." It felt revolutionary. It felt like a new wave of the new wave if you know what I mean.

Am I excited for the third installment? You bet your statue head I am.

To be fair, the slow mo was used waaaay too much in this movie.

I could be wrong, but maybe it is to do with the fact that Tony left during filming and that they didn't have quite as much usable footage as they would have liked when it came to release date.

I mean its just shy of 90 minutes and thats with all the slow mo/repeat scenes.

Still, awesome movie.

Drunken Monk
You're not a fan of Shaolin Red Master then, I take it?

Want a true story? "Shaolin Red Master" was the first kung fu movie I ever bought after watching my brother's copy of "Drunken Master."

I hated it.

Which, in turn, lead me to buy other kung fu movies I hoped were better.

If it wasn't for "Shaolin Red Master" spurning me on, I may not have come to love the genre I adore so much.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
So, the wife finally said those magic words to me, last night..."let's watch Ong Bak 2."

Am I excited for the third installment? You bet your statue head I am.

Your last line had me LOL! ;)

you have to ask permission to watch ong bak?

:cry:

He didn't say he needed permission, he said she was ready to watch it. When you're married with kids, there's only so much time to watch movies. So certain ones I know I'm going to be watching by myself because the wife has no interest in them (TOKYO GORE POLICE for instance XD), but others I think she'll enjoy, and I'd like to see them with her, so I wait for her. ONG-BAK 2 was one that we watched together, and I'm guessing Drunken Monk had a similar experience. I mean... look, the guy's drunk, and a monk?! So he's lucky he's married at all! I figure he needs to comprimise a bit! LOL ;)

Drunken Monk

:cry:

Where did I say that?

"Ong Bak 2" was in my "to watch" pile and my wife decided to take a movie out of there and picked this particular one.

We can't all just deflate our wives and put her back in the cupboard when we want to watch a movie, like you can.

I watched OB2 with my wife also. She actually liked it more than I did. Still thought it was pretty great, though.

Drunken Monk

He didn't say he needed permission, he said she was ready to watch it. When you're married with kids, there's only so much time to watch movies. So certain ones I know I'm going to be watching by myself because the wife has no interest in them (TOKYO GORE POLICE for instance XD), but others I think she'll enjoy, and I'd like to see them with her, so I wait for her. ONG-BAK 2 was one that we watched together, and I'm guessing Drunken Monk had a similar experience. I mean... look, the guy's drunk, and a monk?! So he's lucky he's married at all! I figure he needs to comprimise a bit! LOL ;)

Yup, you hit the nail on the head.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Hey guys, we were watching Dancing With The Stars last night, and saw something cool. The one couple is Tony and Melissa (the girl that was dissed on that retched show The Bachelor). They showed them rehearsing, and Tony swung Melissa around from behind his back into a position like he was going to be carrying her in front of himself (like every monster carried their victims in the old monster movies). But when he swung her around, she actually makes one complete spin in that "carried" position- with her body horizontal to the floor- in front of him before she's caught in his arms. Well she hit him in the eye with her elbow as she came around after building up the momentum and speed through the entire move! It looked just like something Tony Jaa would do. I was like "Damn, that cheerleader just Ong-Baked that dude!" Within a few seconds his eye looked like he'd just been in a couple rounds of boxing. So he held some ice on it for a minute and went right back to practicing. I've always been impressed by dancer's determination and physical strength and stamina. But that dude Tony really earned my respect. He seems like an incredibly nice guy, and he's a total bad ass!

Glad to read I'm not the only one that was movies he needs to watch but is holding out for a chance to watch them with his wife. My wife recently watched Crippled Avengers for the first time and I think she enjoyed it. But as the title implies she will watch Ong Bak 2 with me...just a matter of time until we both have some time and are home at the same time. ;)

I have to force myself to count to 10 everytime I insert it into the DVD player, otherwise I will end up caining it proper.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I have to force myself to count to 10 everytime I insert it into the DVD player, otherwise I will end up caining it proper.

Say wha? :o

It's like music... I have to pace out all my favourite tracks into a set, otherwise I just keep playing the same track and soon get bored of it. Ong Bak 2 can be watched again and again. I might never get bored of it, but its never good to have anything on repeat regardless.

ToothbrushFu

Looks like Ong Bak 2 is currently scheduled for a UK cinema release on 2 October, re-titled as Ong Bak: The Beginning. The distributor is listed as Revolver Entertainment, but I seem to remember reading that Sony UK had bought the rights. As long as we get the film...

Archived