Ong Bak 2

thedirtytiger

Yeah I picked up a DVD print with subs from China Town Sydney. Good movie, although to me it seems Tony Jaa is getting old (as you do) but so far, I don't know if it was the print or whatever, but he doesn't seem as sharp as he once was

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not as sharp:o As compared to what? This is the best I've seen anyone look for years! Now if you want to talk about someone getting old, go check out the Chan thread in general discussion, even Yen is starting to get up there.

OK I finally got to pick this movie up in Chinatown NYC where I work. As far as the picture quality I wasn't all that happy with it at times when it was a night scene there was a lot of red in the picture and it was almost hard to see the action. The subtitles were very good no complaints there. As far as the movie goes itself I thought it was Great! Tony Jaa was in top form, the storyline was great the action was, I thought the Dance scene dragged a little too long for me it was like 5-6minutes long, that was too much. I like how he was doing the drunken style of fighting it was like an honor to older Jackie Chan movies I thought. The only thing I didn't understand was how it ended, that was a little confusing to me. I'm hoping to see this on the Big Screen soon or at least get a legit copy of this movie in the near future.

Shaolin Patriot
Ill wait for the American release, given they dont cut it.

Does anyone know the US release date and who has the rights to the DVD release?

Does anyone know the US release date and who has the rights to the DVD release?

my guess there will be a very limited theatrical run in October 2009; a month after it's NA premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival. i wager the TIFF screening will occur because Ong Bak, shown back in 2003, had a tremendous reception http://www.aintitcool.com/?q=node/16016

Guest WuxiaFan
Ong Bak 2 is out... I'm spying the Malaysian Version? Any comments?

SR,

I'd pick that version up from HKFlix:

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.550457/qx/details.htm

Also, they've lowered their free shipping to orders $24.99 and above for a limited time. Normally it's $49 for free shipping. I'll probably get this version while I wait to see how other versions pan out with special features. That version doesn't have any.

make believe
SR,

I really want to order this but I am curious how complete it is. This one is listed as 93 minutes running time and other sites I have seen the movie listed as 97 minutes running time. Anyone know what the deal is?

Also I almost would prefer this than one released domestically because there is always that chance of it being edited be it running time, score etc..

Solid Ronin
SR,

Also, they've lowered their free shipping to orders $24.99 and above for a limited time. Normally it's $49 for free shipping. I'll probably get this version while I wait to see how other versions pan out with special features. That version doesn't have any.

Thats the version I was spying. I'll order it next Thursday thank you!

Guest WuxiaFan
I really want to order this but I am curious how complete it is. This one is listed as 93 minutes running time and other sites I have seen the movie listed as 97 minutes running time. Anyone know what the deal is?

Also I almost would prefer this than one released domestically because there is always that chance of it being edited be it running time, score etc..

Here's the scoop on the Malay version from my buddy at HKFlix:

-Keris Video is an official DVD distributor from Malaysia;

-This is the theatrical cut as shown in Thai theaters. No mention if there is/will be an uncut verison. However, there was no mention of an uncut ONG BAK 1, but there ended up being one.:angel:

-Excellent transfer. Its a DVD-5, but it uses every bit of the space on

the disc. In comparison, the Thai version is a DVD-9, but it uses only 6.14

GB. If the HK version is a DVD-9 (and if it has English subs), I don't expect it to be much better in terms of transfer. There is a bootleg being sold on ebay and the transfer is poor compared to this version.

-English subtitles are excellent, although not listed on the outside of the case. Also, the case states that this is a Region 3, but it is actually all region NTSC. Both of these issues were confirmed by HKFlix.

Shaolin Patriot

According to the listing, it also seems that English subs. are not listed on the menus for the Malay disc. You'll need to toggle with your subtitle button on the remote to find them.

Tony really went for the gold with this film, it's really visually amazing, some absolutely breathtaking scenery. The actual story is pretty basic, your usual revenge story although Tony does try to flesh out most of the main characters, Tien's father's death scene is incredibly well shot.

The fights ranged from good to pretty damn amazing, Tony getting kicked off the platform and hitting the rock looked absolutely brutal. Tony's drunken boxing is absolutely top notch, Beggar Su would be proud. Tony vs an army of ninja's was just badass, he looked absolutely ripped.

Count me in with the WTF at the ending.

It's a very Buddhist ending, the religion focuses on cycles and achievements, to a Buddhist - these are the events that brought us here(it ends something like that) - makes perfect sense.

It might've had something to do with the subtitles (they were really bad)

Spoilers

Seeing him surrounded then it cuts to a bearded Tien with Road Warrior style monologue, it confused me as to whether that shot of a bearded Tony was from the past or the future

JimboTheVampireSlayer

All I can say is that this film made me excrete bricks. Gold bricks.

This is a long shot, but does anyone know who Tony is fighting during the 2v1 sequence, in addition to Tim Man? If you know who he is, you know the part I mean.

All I can say is that this film made me excrete bricks. Gold bricks.

This film should be very successful in other countries; I can taste it in my spit.

Just a quick question.

During the contest sequence, the last guy, is he using some kind of grappling style and is he meant to come from samoa etc, I just wondered with all the tattoos he has on him.

make believe
Here's the scoop on the Malay version from my buddy at HKFlix:

-Keris Video is an official DVD distributor from Malaysia;

-This is the theatrical cut as shown in Thai theaters. No mention if there is/will be an uncut verison. However, there was no mention of an uncut ONG BAK 1, but there ended up being one.:angel:

Thanks for that information. How long after did the uncut version of Ong Bak come out after the theatrical dvd was released?

Maybe I will wait a bit more and if nothing is mentioned I may just end up getting it anyway.

I don't see the fuss about getting a DVD-R now and buy the legit version when it's released. I did this with Fearless after edko's release lacked english subs. Someone did a fansub DVD-R and I got that. Later, it got a cinema release in UK and I saw it twice, bought the UK dvd, and bought the HK director's cut dvd. I will do the same for OB2. If that's not supporting a movie, then I don't know what is.

I don't see the fuss about getting a DVD-R now and buy the legit version when it's released. I did this with Fearless after edko's release lacked english subs. Someone did a fansub DVD-R and I got that. Later, it got a cinema release in UK and I saw it twice, bought the UK dvd, and bought the HK director's cut dvd. I will do the same for OB2. If that's not supporting a movie, then I don't know what is.

I also don't see the fuss in buying an unsubbed dvd and obtaining fansubs for it. The way I see it, you've paid for a release one way or another. I purchased the Thai release of OB2 (and have an excellent set of fansubs for it) but I will most definitely buy the Eastern Eye version when it comes out (I like to support Australian companies :)). It looks like it might be the first Western release with English subs.

The Running Man
Originally posted by make believe

93 minutes is PAL speed. 97 minutes would be NTSC speed.

You don't have to worry about that with Magnolia. They don't alter films.

Be glad that they picked up the film and not Harvey Weinstein like he was going to at first. He's the one that turned "Tom Yum Goon" into "The Protector".

Archived