Ong Bak 2

thedirtytiger

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, apparently March 26 is the release date for Thailand, but naturally it lists no eng subs. The HK release still hasn't been announced, but I'd guess it will be before the end of the month. the good news though, is that Red Cliff II is coming out on HK dvd March 18, but I also want Ong Bak 2 and Tactical Unit-Comrades in Arms!

http://www.amornmovie.com/shop/home/product-details.php?get_idproduct=%20%20%2000000012942

As I type this, a dvdrip of "ong bak 2" is being uploaded on youtube. The uploader has reached part 8/10 already but I have held of watching it so far although I'm not going to lie, it won't be easy. Kind of like trying not to have a cigarette when you're quitting.

Anyone have an idea where would be a good place to order the import DVD from?

Edit: I browsed through the youtube users other videos and there is a deleted scene from Ip Man. No harm in checking that out. Part of the Special Edition DVD?

kingofkungfu2002
As I type this, a dvdrip of "ong bak 2" is being uploaded on youtube.

It's actually from a VCD, but the quality is very good. I watched the VCD last night (without subs) but it was pretty easy to follow and it's worth checking out just for the action. The final fight scene lasts a full 12 minutes :D

Can't wait for an english subbed dvd.

a3mpz6.gif

My review - No Real Spoilers

O.K I have just got back from watching this on english subtitled DVD at my mates house and I have to say, I genuinely can't understand the negative reaction this film got from some people.

Firstly I will say the film has its faults but those are minor compared to the grand scale of the film and the quite apparent and obvious amount of effort that went into some of the shots and set pieces.

The set design is fantastic and the way the scale of these sets is used in certain scenes is fantastic with fights taking place across vast sets with a variety of weapons and styles.

The character design is another one of the films strongpoints especially an incredibly tall and incredibly twisted slave trader who almost comes across as demon like in his performance. Tony Jaa doesn't say much in the film but then he doesn't need to as the majority of his role is played out visually and the emotinal depth aspect is left to a young thai actor who plays him in a series of flashbacks does pretty well to keep the films main character interesting to the audience.

It is patchy in places but the delightfully brutal action sequences and the the magnificent use of set design and inspiring cinematography left me stunned and pleasantly surprised for the duration of the film.

The plot holds together quite well and I think the truth of the matter is that it is perfectly comprehensible and a lot of the films critics who said that the plot was nonexistent or difficult to understand must not have been paying attention.

The script is full of the usual "chosen one" cliches and overall it provides a simple and effective framework to a series of phenomenal visual treats.

The action sequences come thick and fast and are perfectly accompanied by what I think is a good use of operatic pounding beats and at time slow and haunting pipe music.

But the films main strength is quite clearly its main star, Tony Jaa. There is an ever changing variety of weapons and styles on display and the over the top stunts have been left behind and replaced by absorbing and hard hitting battles against a variety of enemies.

All in all, the film came across as a big budget, well shot showcase to one of martial arts rising talents.

Forgive its minimal script work, strange disjointed ending and often over the top glorification of its main star because this film is not a let down in any way. Blood, sweat and tears have clearly gone in to getting it where it is now and this shows in every minute of the film.

It might not be everyones favorite martial arts film, but its one of mine now and it is a big step forward for Tony Jaa.

Think of it as Thailands own "Batman Begins."

Rating 8/10

Here is a very cool behind-the-scenes video of Jaa on the set:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXaOxVdjW98&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXaOxVdjW98&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ONG BAK 2 ELECTRIC BOOGALOO!Dont know why it's taken me this long to come up with that.Can't wait for English DUB.Yeah I said it!

I think the reason this movie is a let down for some of us is that some of us expected a 10/10 movie so even if it were 9/10 would be a let down because we expected too much.

I just got an email from Yesasia saying that they've shipped the Thai dvd which I had preordered, even though the item description still saysit releases on April 2. must have come out early!

ethaicd.com had the film down as being released on March 25th all along.

I ordered the collector's edition, can't wait for it to turn up.

thedirtytiger

Yes, Ong Bak 2 was released on March 25th but people were selling it a day or 2 earlier. As expected, no English subs. There is a standard edition and a special edition with photos set.

Guest Yi-Long

It's so stupid of them not to include english subs. People will just avoid buying this legit version and go for a english-subbed DVD-rip instead. And rightly so. You never know how they'll rape the western releases again.

The Amazing Psycho Per
I'll wait for this subbed edition:

http://www.yesasia.com/global/ong-ba...0-en/info.html

Well, I wouldn't be to exited about it... Tom Yum Goong Hong Kong version had been listed with subs before but when actually released, it didn't include them.

Maybe we'll have an eng sub version by 2010... And then they wonder why there is so much internet piracy and bootlegs... Heck, ADC had a sub version 2 days after the thai release.

Saw it today not as good as his last 2 films found it abit disjointed,fighting was ok but again nothing to write home about id give it about 6/10

Doesn't matter subbed or dubbed - either way it's not gonna improve the film/

It's VERY uneven - even more so than TYG. Fights are spectacular (better than Ip Man's, IMO ) and aplenty, choreo is great, images are beautiful, but the story told horribly. Also, that added fight with Dan Chupong is totally out of the place - with wires, weirdly shot, it looks like something out of Dynamite Warrior. You can actually see it was shot by Panna.

Looks like Tony was going for an epic, but the funding scandal killed the idea...

Didn't notice any improvement in Tony's acting either - well, he hardly speaks in the movie...

Would LOVE to see Ong Bak 2 and 3 re-cut as one movie, the way Tony envisioned it.

It's gonna be the first Jaa's movie I wouldn't buy from eThaicd, I'll wait for a subbed release - not because of the subs per se, but because I'm not that eager to own a DVD...

I think this movie has the best action Tony Jaa has ever done. What I like most about the movie is that the fight scenes have more variety than the old Tony Jaa fare. The old stuff was mainly reliant on stunts and the same repetitive kick/elbow combinations. The baddies were also pretty much useless and would be dispatched easily after only one move. Not the case here. Not only did the choreography feel more Hong-Kong influenced, but it had longer drawn out action sequences and more martial arts styles. Tony Jaa not only does Muay Thai, but mixes it in with grappling (albeit only in one scene), and Chinese martial arts (Hung Gar, and a couple animal styles). In one scene at the end when he's taking on two bad guys, he even has to use various foot and hand combinations in continuous takes. That would never have happened in his old movies, especially n this situation, where it was against two guys who weren't even the main bosses. In the past, Tony would have just have done a knee, elbow, or something really acrobat and been done with it. You never really got that sense of continuity or momentum like in a HK scene where you see someone fight and the takes get continuously longer and more complicated with multiple combinations of punches and kicks being thrown. Even though it wasn't like that in all the action scenes, I'm glad to see that kind of improvement in the choreography. I didn't think anything this year would top the "Ip Man vs 10 Black belts" scene, but the final fight in this may just have done it. Lets just say I spat my pants afterwards.

That being said.. the movie is uneven, but nowhere near as bad as The Protector. Is anything PERIOD that bad? I think that was just embarrassing to watch. You don't have Johnny Nguyen here challenging Tony Jaa to a fight at the end only to put on a disappearing act afterwards. Or random cameos by dudes just because they apparently look similar to Jackie Chan. Basically, the biggest problem of Ong Bak 2 is it feels too short and like an appetizer for better things to come in Ong Bak 3.

Archived