Ong Bak 2

thedirtytiger

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

I watched this movie once, but I don't have a desire to see it again any time soon. Kinda mad at myself that I bought the 2-disc, because I'm not going to watch the special features. I thought the directing, Jaa's acting, and some other things were better than Jaa's previous movies, but only slightly better. I think I may have gone into this movie with too high of expectations. That's not going to happen when I watch OB 3.

I got Fireball about the same time as Ong Bak 2, and have watched it 3 times.

Guest WuxiaFan
I've watched this like 20 times now and it just keeps getting better, the fight he has with the two Muay Thai fighters has to be one of the best fights filmed in the last 20 years, their exchanges are lightning fast, it's freaking amazing.

AMEN BROTHER! I've watched the finale alone a number of times and I'm amazed at that fight every time I watch it! It's unbelievable!

:yociexp57:

Glad I'm not alone Tosh. I LOVE this movie! :nerd:

You're definately not alone, bro!

:yociexp105:

Drunken Monk

I think it's interesting seeing the variety of opinions that come with "Ong Bak 2." I thought "The Protector" was a dismal film other than the action. The action makes it incredible. Everything else is pretty shoddy. With "Ong Bak 2" I feel Jaa stepped up his game and gave us direction, plot, solid acting, little to no cheese and incredible action. It's proof, to me, that Tony Jaa is not a one trick pony and that's exactly what I was looking for. Despite all the knees and elbows, it felt fresh, it felt new and it felt exciting.

Like others have said, that finale is bananas.

My version is like that also. The Malay DVDs I've seen usually have fairly crappy menu screens though.

IIRC (been a while since I watched the 110 minute version) most of the additional footage comes during Tony's training, both when he's a kid in the dance school and then later with the pirates, specifcally with the blind master. I did a little reasearch and it looks like the original cut was edited down because the Thai goverment didn't like the religious overtones of these scenes.

It looks like the 110 minute version was released in Malaysia and Korea and quickly went OOP. Maybe the Thai goverment got involved? Things get more confusing...

In your opinion is the 110 min version worth tracking down? 17 min is a lot of time to cut out, and training sequences are always cool. Trying to figure out how much effort is worth this extra footage.

Does anyone actually have the 110 minute version on dvd or any other format?

I've not been able to find it anywhere, nor is it on any "tube" sites that I know of.

I also can't see the point of gambling with buying the Malaysian dvd because even though it claims to be 100minutes, it just the same as every other release.

The German bluray is also 93 minutes from looking at the cover.

It's a huge shame Magnolia failed to source this version, as it would have made their release the one to get above all others.

I've just re-bought it, a Malaysian disc, seems legit, and says it's 110 min.

Alas, upon checking it out, it's the same 95 min print that seems to be the only release out there. :squigglemouth:

Just to clear up the versions -

The US Blu Ray is the SAME as the DVD print that came out online March 2009. It's also the same as the December 2008 Thai Bootleg Cam (score, running time, credits). I know this because I have all versions and have compared.

The US Blu Ray also has an alternate cut - where the scenes are edited down, and the scoring more epic, and a french hip hop soundtrack in the end credits).

Comparing the versions, I can see now why people have bad taste in their mouth about this film. 90% chance they were watching any version after March 2009, which is bastardized and clearly not Jaa's intended version.

Hope this helps

This movie does grow on you and I'm going through my second viewing now and appreciate it even more.

I had a Chinese DVD of it but I bought a local version produced by Eastern Eye, better subtitles.

I would like to find an uncut version if it exists.

Also eagerly waiting for "Ong Bak 3".

Here is the trailer if somebody hasn't seen it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPrfBcoVmbc

Watched this movie tonight and while it was good, I don't think I'll rush to watch it again.

I was at a bit of a loss at the ending, and was thinking WHAT?? ...but from what I've read so far in this thread it looks like OB3 may explain things a little more about that ending. Also the plot line with the girl from his youth seemed to be just tossed away for no real reason...why spend part of the movie setting this up, reintroduce her as adult dancing for the man who killed his parents, and then just drop the whole thing ??

No offence to those fans of this movie but I think I prefer OB

Watched this movie tonight and while it was good, I don't think I'll rush to watch it again.

I was at a bit of a loss at the ending, and was thinking WHAT?? ...but from what I've read so far in this thread it looks like OB3 may explain things a little more about that ending. Also the plot line with the girl from his youth seemed to be just tossed away for no real reason...why spend part of the movie setting this up, reintroduce her as adult dancing for the man who killed his parents, and then just drop the whole thing ??

No offence to those fans of this movie but I think I prefer OB

Mirrorman you are correct. I think that OB 2 and OB 3 seen as a whole will be a more complete piece, as Jaa originally filmed it that way.

I'm not to concerned about an extended edition of OB2, I'm sure the scenes missing in the first movie will be in the 3rd.

Archived