Question about actors and Filipino pseudonyms

Asmo

Hi everyone.

I don't know if this was a common thing or not back in the 80s, but I noticed that Donnie Yen and Dick Wei (probably others too) have used completely different pseudonyms for the Filipino market (If I recall, Donnie was 'Michael Ryan' while Dick Wei was 'Ron Van Lee'. Was there ever a reason for this?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard Jet Li got his screen name from a Filipino distributor. On some prints of Crystal Hunt, Donnie Yen is also billed as "Michael Ryan" and that was shot in Thailand right?

Yes, both Crystal Hunt and Cheetah on Fire were shot in Thailand and on the English dubbed print, Donnie is billed as Michael Ryan.

Yukari Oshima was Cynthia Luster(!)

Yeah, that's right.

I heard Jet Li got his screen name from a Filipino distributor.

If I recall, he did. It was because Lianjie was too hard to say/remember, by their reasoning.

The Phillipines didnt just rename the actors, they'd rename movies....

I remember seeing Project A as "Superfly 2".....an Ultramn Tv movie playing as "Ultra Jurassic Park"...and I think "Outlaw Brothers" was "Boxer Terminator"

In the early 90's at least Jackie Chan's name would often be added to films to give them marquee value, there was a great "Heroic Trio" poster that proclaimed Jackie Chan's 3 Ex-Wives together for the First Time!

Same way one of Gary Daniels movies, I think it was "Capital Punishmeent" was released as "Bloodsport 2"..with a tag line, Bruce Lee's brightest disciple, Contemporay of Chuck Norris and the man who killed Van Damme at the 1990 Bloodsport Tournament.....

And does anyone remember "College Kickboxer", American lensed martial arts flick with choreography by Tang Tack-wing who also played the chef who taught the hero martial arts...that was released as "The Young Van Damme Story"......

Chin Kar-lok being "Juan Carlo", adapted from his Mandarin spelling Qian je-lia

Taiwanese actress Lin Shao-liu from the "Kung Fu Peach" movies being Sharon Foster......

The Phillipines and Thai posters are some of the best......

Thanks for that insight Mike, much appreciated. That is all very peculiar. I'm sure some of that was indeed to add marquee value but some of it is really puzzling.

And does anyone remember "College Kickboxer", American lensed martial arts flick with choreography by Tang Tack-wing who also played the chef who taught the hero martial arts...that was released as "The Young Van Damme Story"......

That is definitely an underrated American martial arts film. It was released on home video as Trained to Fight back in the 90's,. but now it's back to the original title on DVD collections. Funny re-title for the Philippine crowd LOL

TibetanWhiteCrane
The Phillipines didnt just rename the actors, they'd rename movies....

I remember seeing Project A as "Superfly 2".....an Ultramn Tv movie playing as "Ultra Jurassic Park"...and I think "Outlaw Brothers" was "Boxer Terminator"

In the early 90's at least Jackie Chan's name would often be added to films to give them marquee value, there was a great "Heroic Trio" poster that proclaimed Jackie Chan's 3 Ex-Wives together for the First Time!

Same way one of Gary Daniels movies, I think it was "Capital Punishmeent" was released as "Bloodsport 2"..with a tag line, Bruce Lee's brightest disciple, Contemporay of Chuck Norris and the man who killed Van Damme at the 1990 Bloodsport Tournament.....

Chin Kar-lok being "Juan Carlo", adapted from his Mandarin spelling Qian je-lia

Taiwanese actress Lin Shao-liu from the "Kung Fu Peach" movies being Sharon Foster......

The Phillipines and Thai posters are some of the best......

:D;).... Awesome info Mike! Damn those people are shameless... gotta love em!

One Armed Boxer

I remember when I visited the Philippines, the small outdoor vcd stalls used to have Ong Bak 1 - 10!!! Even funnier was that the film's that where being sold as Ong Bak sequels would differ from store to store...

I remember the Kane Kosugi film 'Muscle Heat' was being sold as 'Ong Bak 3' in one store, and in the next it was 'Ong Bak 6'...the only other films that I recognised being disguised as Ong Bak sequels where Tom Yum Goong and Born To Fight. The rest looked possibly like low budget local movies.

They probably think Ong Bak 2 came out years ago!

I noticed a similar thing happened with the Shu Qi / Vicky Zhao / Karen Mok movie So Close..I spotted at least a So Close 2 & So Close 3 when I was there!

I also remember a vcd copy of Sha Po Lang having a pretty crazy title..if I remember correctly it was called 'How To Kill a Bent Tiger'!!!???

Archived