Favorite surf/ski films?

CrazyFrog

This might be out of most people's taste range but I want to know what (if any) surf or ski movies you freaks enjoy. this does not include documentaries, which are a whole other class into themselves; only fictional movies. Here are a few of mine to share- be forewarned, I like some cheese!

North Shore (1987)- Classic, if for the wrong reasons. Wavepool surf star in Arizona goes to the North Shore to learn how to ride big waves. has real surf legends in there like Occy, Laird Hamilton, and Micheal Ho. Attempts to display real "local" culture and is funnier than most films. Whatever, Barney!

In God's Hands (1998)- Again, another attempt at capturing the surfer lifestyle and vibe and failing miserably. Also has real surf stars like Shane Dorian, Shaun tomson, Matty Liu, and Brian Keaulana. Excellent surf footage but horrible script and "acting". Has a malaria freakout that must be seen to be believed (and then purged from your mind).

Hot Dog the Movie (1984)- Awesome ski-sex comedy with classic archetypes and party atmosphere. Thumbs up for a movie that has a character called Squirrel, typifies Austrians as Euro-snob ski-Nazis, and has Shannon Tweed MILF-ing it up.

Out Cold (2006)- decent but futile attempt to co-opt snowboarding into an extreme-sports comedy. Saving graces are the likeable Jason London, Zach Galifianakis, and Lee Majors as the evil developer. Plus the beer run in the beginning.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm fond of the Beach Party (Frankie & Annette) movies to various degrees:

* Beach Party (1963) (also starring Bob Cummings, Dorothy Malone and Morey Amsterdam)

* Muscle Beach Party (1963) (with Peter Lupus, Luciana Paluzzi and Buddy Hackett)

* Bikini Beach (1964) (with Keenan Wynn and Martha Hyer)

* Pajama Party (1964) (with Jesse White and Ben Lessy)

* Beach Blanket Bingo (1965) (with Paul Lynde, Linda Evans, Marta Kristen and Timothy Carey)

* How to Stuff a Wild Bikini (1965) (with Mickey Rooney, Beverly Adams, Len Lesser, Irene Tsu and Brian Donlevy)

* The Ghost in the Invisible Bikini (1966) (with Basil Rathbone, Benny Rubin and Francis X. Bushman)

I'm irrationally fond of Ski Party (with Frankie Avalon, Dwayne Hickman, Yvonne Craig and Deborah Walley) for some reason. Maybe it's the gall they had to borrow so shamelessly from Some Like it Hot.

Better Off Dead isn't strictly a ski movie, but it's close enough. Great Eighties teen comedy with plenty of surreal touches.

I think I've got Hot Dog the Movie, but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

TibetanWhiteCrane

For ski movie, I gotta go with SKI SCHOOL 1991, thats a classic! Or the ski drama ASPEN EXTREME 1993, is also pretty good.

Surf movies..... POINT BREAK... nuff said!

Better Off Dead is indeed a great film and could be included; it's funny enough to stand on its own w/out being in this genre but yeah... "Do you know what the street value of all this snow is?!". The Chinese downhill is classic!

Point Break I have some problems with. First and foremost is Keanu Reeves who admittedly may seem like the type of actor you could see in this genre but honestly, I just hate him in his film. And Patrick Swayze doing the Bodhi thing was just driving me up the wall with the BS Zen/surf philosophy. Again, there are some people who talk something like that but oddly enough, they don't come off like giant douchenozzles (well, most of the time).

The whole Beach Blanket Bingo and Gidget scene was a little before my time; however, it did contribute to surf culture by making it popular and transforming surfing from a niche sport to a mass phenomenon, for better or worse. Many would argue for the worse. Although Annette Funnicello was hot!

I actually watched all the Beach Party movies recently and the only one I can fully recommend is the first one, BEACH PARTY (1963). It's the only one that holds up well from that group.

As for skiing, I'd only recommend those James Bond movies with skiing scenes and all I can think of right now is ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE (1969).

Morgoth Bauglir

I cannot believe I didn't think of Better Off Dead! Nice one tdb. One of my favs.

Has anyone seen that new Mathew Mc???? surfing movie? I heard that is one of the worst movies ever.

Hotdog, ah the t and a 80's, I remember the Japanese skiier karate chopping peanuts in half.

Better off dead came to mind when I read this yesterday, I'll get back to this.

Surf ninjas!

hahaha i remember surf ninjas...just watched it again today :nerd:

My favourite film as a kid and i still enjoy it although as im older i tend to analyse the fighting and it takes some fun away from the film (as the fighting is pretty obviously fake at times XD )

Under the Boardwalk - one of my favorite surfing flicks. It's about a kid from Kansas who goes to visit his cousins, and gets himself in the middle of a "surf war" between the locals and the Vals. Things heat up with a top notch Val surfer falls for one of the cousins, causing her brother, the current champ, to really get P.O.ed and determined to take him down on the waves once and for all. Comic relief comes in the form of the kid from Kansas constantly at the wrong place and wrong time and end up getting arrested with punker surf girl named Gitch (Half Girl, Half-Bitch) LOL

Agreeing with TibetanWhiteCrane, love Ski School and actually like the sequel, Ski School 2. First time I saw future MAD TV star Will Sasso as one of Dean Cameron's boys and Bil Dwyer is a riot as "Toddorbert".

I also have a soft spot for Ski Patrol, about a group of ski patrollers who must stop Martin Mull and his three ski school lackeys from trying to shut down their mountain so he can make his own town. Ray Walston is always a delight to watch. Here he plays the owner of the mountain. BUt what the made film funny IMO are T.K. Carter, Paul Feig (the man who would create Freaks and Geeks), and in his first film, George Lopez. There is also a character named Suicide, who is a schizo snowborder/musician. He thinks he's three guys in one, wearing a mask on each side of his head for his other two "personalities", one wimpy and one psycho.But it's in a funny way.

North Shore - definitely an underrated classic. Actually saw the original VHS for $1.00 at a CVS., but already have it. LOL

Archived