"Ashes Of Time Redux" and "The Blade" will be shown this month in some L.A. theatres

wackiechan

"Ashes Of Time Redux" will be shown in L.A.'s ImaginAsian Center starting October 10, 2008. "AOTR" might also be shown in the Laemmle Grande Theatre. Here's more info: http://www.theimaginasian.com/la/comingsoon.php

Tsui Hark's "The Blade" will be showing at The Beverly Cinema Theatre on October 12, 13, and 14 of this year. Here's some info: http://www.newbevcinema.com/calendar.cfm

I've read that "The Blade" was only available on DVD maybe from Tai Seng Video, and maybe also in England. There might be something wrong w/ one of those DVD's however(e.g. a bad picture, no subtitles). I could be wrong about some of that DVD info, but I've also read that "The Blade" was never released on a remastered DVD. Do you know if that's true?

Is it also true that "The Blade" was a remake of "The One Armed Swordsman"? "TOAS", btw, seems to have too many good reviews. I remember seeing "TOAS" in the Heroic Grace Series 1 or 2. I hope it doesn't bother you w/ me saying this, but that Jimmy Wang Yu movie was just okay IMO.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[

I've read that "The Blade" was only available on DVD maybe from Tai Seng Video, and maybe also in England. There might be something wrong w/ one of those DVD's however(e.g. a bad picture, no subtitles). I could be wrong about some of that DVD info, but I've also read that "The Blade" was never released on a remastered DVD. Do you know if that's true?

There was a decent MIA DVD release of "The Blade" in the UK (I have it). And I believe the only "remastered" version to be released is a French or Italian DVD (no English subs). I also have a servicable Mei Ah VCD, but quality is crap. Never heard of a Tai Seng release.

Is it also true that "The Blade" was a remake of "The One Armed Swordsman"? "TOAS", btw, seems to have too many good reviews. I remember seeing "TOAS" in the Heroic Grace Series 1 or 2. I hope it doesn't bother you w/ me saying this, but that Jimmy Wang Yu movie was just okay IMO.

It is a remake of OAS. But the action is furious and they are very different films. Its okay if you dont care for OAS, you could still love "The Blade". Wish I was in that area, would love to see those 2 films on the big screen!

The Running Man
I've read that "The Blade" was only available on DVD maybe from Tai Seng Video, and maybe also in England.

Tai Seng never released The Blade.

the blade is indeed a remake of OAS, which I believe was actually made as a response to Ashes of Time.

I always felt that Hark managed to do the original justice, and was able to tap into the overall spirit of Chang Cheh's work - the blade is dark and operatic and tragic, and touches on themes of honor, duty, friendship and loyalty in the way that would do Cheh proud.

However, I also agree with the idea that it can be enjoyed on it's own merits without any appreciation or even familiarity for OAS

Ashes of Time Redux is great btw, just don't go in expecting anything resembling a traditional or even a new-wave wuxia. Don't even approach it as a martial arts movie, those elements are very much secondary. It's an arthouse meditation on memory and lost love

Tai Seng never released The Blade.

pretty sure the vhs i had ages ago was Tai Seng, but i believe you're right as far as dvds go

Thats quite the double-header, especially The Blade on big screen. I almost spat my pants, till I realized it was like 1,000 movies away from me.

Archived