Men from the monastry ? Or...? Scanns

FrankBolte

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

Nice shot of Chang Cheh. Maybe that big guy on the left punched Fu Sheng? :P That movie is Heroes Two.

TheManInWhite

Yes, it's Heroes Two. It's odd that the flashbacks about Fang Shih Yu are actually scenes from Men from the Monastery. So I can see the confusion here...

Men from the monastery has to be, hands down, the best in CC's shaolin series! If you have not seen this you are missing out on a classic! I wish this would get picked up for release in the states!

Men from the monastery has to be, hands down, the best in CC's shaolin series! If you have not seen this you are missing out on a classic! I wish this would get picked up for release in the states!

Really? I thought it was one of the worst. It's basicly the exact same as Shaolin Avengers in the first hour or so, only that Shaolin Avengers is better and has fighting on a whole different level. I liked the ending though, but it still one CC's weaker Shaolin movies for me, along with Disciples of Shaolin, if that counts.

what year did shaolin avengers come out? I thought just the opposite, Shaolin avengers was week, imo.

HK release: 6/18/76.

Roughly 26 months after MFTM came out.

HK release: 6/18/76.

Roughly 26 months after MFTM came out.

Exactly! I had thought SA was AFTER MFTM. Its more like SA was like MFTM not the other way around! I just can't understand why people hate on MFTM!

but it still one CC's weaker Shaolin movies for me, along with Disciples of Shaolin, if that counts.

wah,disciples is actually one of the best from Cheng Cheh's shaolin movies..in my opinion of course...

wah,disciples is actually one of the best from Cheng Cheh's shaolin movies..in my opinion of course...

We might be weighing different aspects of the film.

I think the story was pretty good and it was a good part for Fu Sheng. I guess my main problem with the film was that it lacked proper villains, which made the end somewhat anticlimatic. Didn't think the fighting was anything spectacular either. Only seen Disciples and Avengers once, but I thought Shaolin Avengers had the best fight choreography amongst pretty much all the shaolin movies.

Just my opinion. :D

I wasn't so impressed with MFTM either, might have had higher expectations coming in, need to watch it again as I wasn't into Disciples the first time I saw it but liked it much better the second time around. I'll have to agree with Endsang though, the villains lacked in these movies.

MFTM, was very good, from a Kung Fu stand point. Lots of fighting there and the story of the three heroes. I couldn't wait to get that remastered DVD when it was released. I had the VHS for sooo long, I never imagined I would see the film as it now looks.:P

Chang Cheh seemed to have a problem doing flashbacks in his films. In all of them where he attempts this, they are never as smooth as they could/should be.

mistertpitydafoo

Chang Cheh seemed to have a problem doing flashbacks in his films. In all of them where he attempts this, they are never as smooth as they could/should be.

Sometimes that can be the editors fault since it is he who pieces together the film that chang cheh films, along with cuts and other such things. I don't know if chang cheh sat down with the editors or not.

Archived