Fist of Unicorn?

Way of the Dragon

Way of the Dragon

I read some reviews and everyone keeps saying this is bad because bruce lee is only in it for a tiny part but i was wondering if it was a good kung fu film in general with Unicorn Chan?

What do you think of this one?

Killer Meteor

In some respects its quite good, with a great soundtrack, one or two great fights, and an interesting cast. Unicorn is a poor lead though

Way of the Dragon
In some respects its quite good, with a great soundtrack, one or two great fights, and an interesting cast. Unicorn is a poor lead though

But by the sounds of it, its not really worth the buy.

It's a pretty standard kung fu movie...nothing good to write home about. Even the so-called "unicorn palm" effects are pretty cheesy..even for its time. Yasuaki Kurata appears in the film as well, but aside from the Bruce Lee-choreographed fighters...not a classic IMO.

Chen Kuan Tai

In some words: It's only an average bruce lee clone movie.

For fans of clone movies can be recommended. For myself as bl clone fan the fights are very bad and unicorn looks like it's his first choreograph fighting in a movie.

SlothStyleKungFu

Its not god awful but also not that great. The Bruce stuff is just brief insert footage and totally negligible. The big missive is that Unicorn is simply not a charismatic lead. He's a real dud in most respects, acting, physically, etc.

Way of the Dragon

thanks for your comments

I never seen Unicorn Chan with a leading role and i was wondering if this was a good film with him in...Obviously not.

Chen Kuan Tai
The Bruce stuff is just brief insert footage and totally negligible. The big missive is that Unicorn is simply not a charismatic lead. He's a real dud in most respects, acting, physically, etc.

That's it, every other actor in martial arts showing would be better in it. Even a child moves better then he. :D

There was never such a clone movie like this where the money was on first position. ;)

Quite a bad movie.

Unicorn seemed desperate to attach Bruce's name, the latter's "choreography" was lousy.

Is just me, or did Bruce seem to save his best choreography for himself? I mean no one looked better than he with his choreography. He could have made other fighters look really good if he used those ideas for them. He did work with some good onscreen fighters in his limited time...

Wong Ing Sik

Chuck Norris

Bob Wall

Chi Hon Jie

Dan Inosanto

Liu Yung

Yang Sze

Sammo

Han Ying Kit

James Tien

Yusaki Kurata

Although he did allow Bolo to appear fierce in ETD.

The mark of a great AD is his ability to make an artist look good/impressive, showcasing their abilities to their best.

It's funny - whenever Bruce is directing, everyone looks crap. Even the Korean fighters like Huang In-Sik who was probably the best thing about 'Hapkido' looks pants here.

One of the (many) reasons why im not a Bruce Lee fan!

Because of his choreography? I think he was better when being directed in The Big Boss. He was new to the HK action film and seemed to react instead of playing the superman.

Guest Markgway

No one should go into this expecting anything Bruce.

Treat it as a below average budget basher that Bruce briefly worked on and you won't be disappointed.

Morgoth Bauglir

As mentioned by others, the biggest problem with this movie is Unicorn Chan. He makes it unwatchable. I wonder if he got any other leading roles in fu movies besides this one. Im finding that I like a lot of his small roles he had at SB, but after seeing Fist of Unicorn it's hard to look at the guy and keep a straight face.

Chen Kuan Tai
As mentioned by others, the biggest problem with this movie is Unicorn Chan. He makes it unwatchable. I wonder if he got any other leading roles in fu movies besides this one. Im finding that I like a lot of his small roles he had at SB, but after seeing Fist of Unicorn it's hard to look at the guy and keep a straight face.

Yes, the best is to forget his Unicorn disaster and to look back to his image like in Fist of Fury. :)

Yes, the best is to forget his Unicorn disaster and to look back to his image like in Fist of Fury. :)

No. Look back to him being pasted in that memorable alley sequence by the Italian baddie in Way of The Dragon.

:bigsmile:

I'm about to dive into this movie, head first.

Okay, which version do I watch? Is there a difference between the original and the dubbed?

Anyone?

Killer Meteor
I'm about to dive into this movie, head first.

Okay, which version do I watch? Is there a difference between the original and the dubbed?

Anyone?

Well...

Currently the only chinese version avaliable is missing the first 10min. It is widescreen though,

There are two editions of the English dub out there. One is widescreen though cut (censored I think). The other is uncut but especially badly cropped!

.... I have a special edition (from the UK?) and the video asia one that was released here.

So basically, go for the english dubbed pan and scan version, right? I take it this is the one that has the most sliver'd footage of Bruce?

Son Of A Gun

When Toby Russell is commenting on the widescreen english dub version he says 'this is the uncut print'.

But you're saying the Pan n Scan is the only uncut one.

Can anyone tell me what is missing from the widescreen english dub version then?

greenbamboo

bruce only spent a few days on set so no way did he do the choreography LOL. He helped out on a few scenes with unicorn as a favour. Who in their right mind would think bruce choreographed all those fight scenes. they said bruce was the fight choreographer to sell the movie obviously and bruce was suing the makers of unicrn at the time of his death cuz of this nonsense - linda dropped it after bruce died.

The choreography is typical basher/punch & block fare however it's fair to assume that Bruce helped with the scene in which Unicorn employs locks and throws. Incidentally, the 'Lee double' seen from the back at the beginning of the film is actually Mars.