It's October baby....Horror flick time!

GwaiLoMoFo

October is also troll season...

Been working up a list of HK horror movies for reference use. Some available some not, some I've seen or not, some already mentioned (or not):

* *Black Magic (1975)

* Black Magic 2 (1976)

* Black Magic With Buddha (1983)

* Blood of the Black Dog aka The Accident (1983)

* *Boxer's Omen (1983)

* Brain Theft (aka Pituitary Hunter) (1994)

* Brutal Sorcery (1983)

* Calamity of Snakes (1983)

* Centipede Horror (1982)

* Chase From Beyond (aka Demoness From Thousand Years)(1990)

* Corpse Mania (1981)

* Curse of Evil (1982)

* Dead Curse (1985)

* Devil and Master (aka The Twilight Siren)(1991)

* The Devil (1981)

* *Devil Fetus (1983)

* The Devil Sorcery (1988)

* Doctor Vampire (1990)

* *Evil Cat (1987)

* *Ghost Snatchers(1986)

* Hell has no Boundary (1982)

* Her Vengeance (1988)

* *Hex (1980)

* Holy Virgin vs the Evil Dead (1991)

* *Human Lanterns (1982)

* Killer Snakes (1974)

* Lewd Lizard (1979)

* *Possessed (1983)

* *Possessed II (1984)

* The Rape After (1984)

* Red Spell Spells Red (1983)

* Seeding of a Ghost (1983)

* *Seventh Curse (1986)

* *Spooky Encounters (Encounter of the Spooky Kind)(1980)

* Spooky Encounters 2 (Encounter of the Spooky Kind II)(1990)

* Spooky Spooky (1988)

* Thunder Cops (aka Operation Pink Squad 2) (1989)

* Thunder of Gigantic Serpent (1988) (Taiwanese)

* Witch From Nepal (1986)

* Witch With Flying Head (1982)

Daigoro and Morgoth, between the two of you we now have 29 deleted posts in this thread alone. Daigoro, please do not keep posting and deleting the same or similar messages and it would be nice if both of you could stay on topic and move your off-topic conversation to PMs or e-mail. Thank you.

masterofoneinchpunch

Here is a list I wrote a few years back. I updated it, but I know I'm missing a few.

13 For Halloween (not all horror):

Angel Heart:

“You know what they say about slugs. They always leave slime in their tracks.” A great suspense film that has one of the “great surprise” endings. De Niro is always fun to watch. Mickey Rourke’s best film.

Army of Darkness:

The cult classic of all horror cult classics. One of two “Ash” movies on my list. If you have seen it you know why, if you have not you should not be programming (I will forgive manager, QA and other non-nerdy/geeky personnel.)

Bride of Frankenstein:

Not only one of the best horror films of the early Universal age, one of the best all-time movies. A great classic directed by auteur James Whale (the movie Gods and Monsters is about his life) and starring a speaking Boris Karloff and Colin Clive as Dr. Frankenstein.

Dead Alive:

Peter Jackson’s first film as a director. One of the goriest films I have ever seen (the unrated version.) The scene with the lawnmower and the zombies is a classic. It is funny too. AKA Braindead.

Dracula (1931):

One of Bela Lugosi’s best performances and one that has influenced film forevermore. “Listen to the children of the night…” I like it better than the Hammer vampires and well the rest (though Gary Oldman is a great vampire.) Loosely based on the Stoker novel.

Evil Dead II:

Is there a better blend of comedy and horror with the great Bruce Campbell starring as the venerable Ash. This film has influenced AV nerds and CB geeks everywhere.

Exorcist:

Is there still a film that stirs the Judeo/Christian fears that this movie stirs. Yes, subliminal images were inserted.

Ghostbusters:

Hey finally a film the whole family can watch. I still love this film with Bill Murray, Dan Ackroyd and Egon (Harold).

Juon The Grudge:

No, not the American version (though it is the same director), but the influential Japanese horror film that Sam Raimi (director of Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness) has called it one of the scariest films he has seen. I agree.

Night of the Living Dead:

The zombie film that started it all and probably still the best zombie film every made (though the original Dawn of the Dead is excellent too). Romero at his best.

Psycho:

Time has tamed the scariness of this film; but it is still one of the best “Suspense” films Alfred Hitchcock created.

Spooky Encounters:

The comedy/horror film from Sammo Hung that helped push that genre in HK 80s.

Young Frankenstein:

The best parody of the Universal horror films with Mel Brooks at his best and a great performance by Gene Wilder. Heck, even the set used was the original set used for Bride of Frankenstein.

Honorable Mentions:

Japan: Audition, Versus, Kwaiden, Ringu, (for the very sick of mind watch Ichi the Killer)

Hong Kong/Thai: The Eye, Mr. Vampire, The Boxer's Omen (1983)

Classics: Nosferatu (1922), Frankenstein (1931), Freaks (1932), White Zombie (1932), Invisible Man (1933), Black Cat (1934), Mad Love (1935), The Wolf Man (1941), Cat People (1942), The Body Snatcher (1945), Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954), The Haunting (1962) -- I could go on and on on the classics.

Modern: Henry the Portrait of a Serial Killer (warning difficult to watch for people with a soul), The Shining, Sleepy Hollow, The Third Sense, Bubba Ho-Tep, Halloween, Carrie

Zombie Flicks: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead

Horror for the kids: Nightmare before Christmas

Horrible Film so bad it’s good: Plan 9 From Outer Space (1959)

Important (or not so; I'll use this list to try to watch a few this October) horror I have not seen: Rosemary's Baby (1968), Don't Look Now (1973), Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974), Suspiria (1977), The Sentinel (1977), The Serpent and the Rainbow (1988), In the mouth of madness (1995), The Mist (2007)

• Like 1

The Call of Cthulhu (2005) - great silent, b&w adaption of HP Lovecraft's story.

Some British favourites:

Stone Tape (1972) - the tension builds slowly but inexorably toward a terrible climax

Woman in Black (1989) - period piece with at least one pants wetting moment

Ghost Watch (1992) - going for the same vibe as Orson Welles' radio martian broadcast, only with ghosts.

Anyone here remember The Boogeyman? I remember seeing that in the Drive-Ins. I couldnt sleep without waking up screaming.

Yes, the one about the mirror that witnessed a murder? Odd, but decent movie. The sequel was pretty bad and part three I heard was even worse.

Secret Executioner
THE BROOD -This David Cronenberg film chilled me to the bone. A totally over-looked classic!

Great call on this one, KFB. A very underrated gem, as well as one of my fav' Cronenberg movies (with Scanners).

As far as creepy movies go, allow me to throw in some ideas:

Nosferatu: the classic F. W. Murnau unauthorized loose adaptation of Dracula is IMO one of the creepiest films ever - the part at the castle has a very unpleasant atmosphere (I feel a sort of haunting presence in these scenes) and Nosferatu himself is quite creepy (especially the way he comes out of his coffin) - I still consider him one of my very favorite movie characters ever though, and the film itself ranks in my top 5 favorite films ever.

Lisa And The Devil: while this early 1970s Mario Bava movie has beautiful settings (I especially like the house where the main bulk of the story takes place), a very strange yet pleasant atmosphere and a rather funny pre-Kojak Telly Savalas as the butler (or maybe he's more than that, this character is quite ambiguous), it has moments that make you uncomfortable (courtesy of the whole wax figures thing and of some very weird characters like the blind noble woman and her necrophiliac who wants to bang the heroin next to the corpse of his deceased former girlfriend...). That said, it's a great movie and it's one of my top 10 movies ever. However, avoid the mid-1970s cut-and-splice job based on it and known as House Of Exorcism at all cost - it destroyed this masterpiece to throw in some bullshit exorcism story to cash in on the trend from the time (a posessed chick narrates her story, which is show through footage from the original - and the two films go along as well as the two parts in a Godfrey Ho movie).

I also have a boxset with 3 Asian horror movies, A Tale Of Two Sisters and two anthology films in 3 stories (one is "extreme", the other deals with ghosts). Guess I should check these out as well.

• Administrator
Great call on this one, KFB. A very underrated gem, as well as one of my fav' Cronenberg movies (with Scanners).

Did you pick up the Criterion release of SCANNERS? It's super.

As far as creepy movies go, allow me to throw in some ideas:

Nosferatu: the classic F. W. Murnau unauthorized loose adaptation of Dracula is IMO one of the creepiest films ever - the part at the castle has a very unpleasant atmosphere (I feel a sort of haunting presence in these scenes) and Nosferatu himself is quite creepy (especially the way he comes out of his coffin) - I still consider him one of my very favorite movie characters ever though, and the film itself ranks in my top 5 favorite films ever.

I'm a huge fan of this film as well. It's a masterpiece!

Lisa And The Devil: while this early 1970s Mario Bava movie has beautiful settings (I especially like the house where the main bulk of the story takes place), a very strange yet pleasant atmosphere and a rather funny pre-Kojak Telly Savalas as the butler (or maybe he's more than that, this character is quite ambiguous), it has moments that make you uncomfortable (courtesy of the whole wax figures thing and of some very weird characters like the blind noble woman and her necrophiliac who wants to bang the heroin next to the corpse of his deceased former girlfriend...). That said, it's a great movie and it's one of my top 10 movies ever. However, avoid the mid-1970s cut-and-splice job based on it and known as House Of Exorcism at all cost - it destroyed this masterpiece to throw in some bullshit exorcism story to cash in on the trend from the time (a posessed chick narrates her story, which is show through footage from the original - and the two films go along as well as the two parts in a Godfrey Ho movie).

I've been well aware of this film for decades, but I have yet to see it. Thanks for the warning about the bastardized version.

I also have a boxset with 3 Asian horror movies, A Tale Of Two Sisters and two anthology films in 3 stories (one is "extreme", the other deals with ghosts). Guess I should check these out as well.

A TALE OF TWO SISTERS is fantastic. I highly recommend you watch it. As for the others, if you mean THREE (2002, Hong Kong, South Korea, Thailand, aka. 3 Extremes II- US Title) and THREE 2 (2004, Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, aka. Three... Extremes; 3 Extremes), they each have okay to great stories. Definitely worth watching.

Secret Executioner

Didn't get around to pick up the Criterion Scanners. I'm actually fairly pleased with the release I have. :xd:

Concerning the Asian anthology films I was mentionning, they are indeed the two Three films KFB brought up- glad to see they are recommended. Looking back at the set, it's surprising to see some familiar names (Park Chan-wook and Takashi Miike each directed a segment for the second one) listed. :smile:

• Administrator
Didn't get around to pick up the Criterion Scanners. I'm actually fairly pleased with the release I have. :xd:

Which release do you have?

Concerning the Asian anthology films I was mentionning, they are indeed the two Three films KFB brought up- glad to see they are recommended. Looking back at the set, it's surprising to see some familiar names (Park Chan-wook and Takashi Miike each directed a segment for the second one) listed. :smile:

Yeah, they are all directed by interesting filmmakers. The segment DUMPLINGS on the first compilation was directed by Fruit Chan, and he even released an expanded, full-length film version that's really good too.

• Administrator
mpm74 said:
It's all about HALLOWEEN 3. =D

LOL:bigsmile: I just watched this again a few months back via the Scream Factory Blu-ray release. Man, I never saw it looking like that before! This movie got such a shit rep when it came out because it didn't have Michael Myers, but I think it's a cool, creepy flick with a great plot. Great extras on the Blu-ray too.Tom Adkins is apparently as a cool a guy as I always thought he must be.

Did you guys see that a company (forget their name) has released replicas of the three Halloween masks from the film?! :nerd: And yes, they even come with replicas of the little Shamrock chips on the backs. :bigsmile:

LOL:bigsmile: I just watched this again a few months back via the Scream Factory Blu-ray release. Man, I never saw it looking like that before! This movie got such a shit rep when it came out because it didn't have Michael Myers, but I think it's a cool, creep flick with a great plot. Great extras on the Blu-ray too.Tom Adkins is apparently as a cool a guy as I always thought he must be.

Did you guys see that a company (forget their name) has released replicas of the three Halloween masks from the film?! :nerd: And yes, they even come with replicas of the little Shamrock chips on the backs. :bigsmile:

No, dude. But send a link to that company's website. H3 is a classic! I mean, the company in the movie... PURE EVIL! LOL Plus it has the wannabe Chuck Norris guy that doesn't know how to fight. How can you go wrong?

Secret Executioner
Which release do you have?

I have a French release, but I don't know who released this as the only credit there is that sounds like a company is Filmplan and it seems to be one of the companies involved in production - it could be the French CNC, but I don't see a national institut (even if focusing on cinema) releasing movies (especially a foreign movie). That DVD has the original and the French dub (both in mono) as well as a couple of bonus interviews and an interesting featurette on Cronenberg.

picture.php?albumid=244&pictureid=7298

Yeah, they are all directed by interesting filmmakers. The segment DUMPLINGS on the first compilation was directed by Fruit Chan, and he even released an expanded, full-length film version that's really good too.

Damn, I swear I bumped into this one some time ago and hesitated picking it up only not to do so in the end. D'oh !!

It's all about HALLOWEEN 3. =D

Very underrated film. Easily my fav' off the Halloween franchise. The mask thing is pretty creepy when it gets in action, but I like the idea - very creative IMO.

sifu iron perm

i watched the quiet ones last night, not impressed, has anyone seen the british horror, the asphyx? That was pretty great IMO.

i also watched the 1986 horror, House. I enjoyed that , last time i saw this was in 88..and was scared to bits.

Okay, so it's October...has anyone begun their horror movie fix yet?

I did with the See No Evil films starring Kane and getting back into my Texas Chainsaw Massacre fix. 

I recently borrowed a book on classic slasher films so I think I'm gonna try to rewatch some of them to review on my blog.

I even revisited a few comparison reviews I did back in 2009.

• My Bloody Valentine (1981 and 2009)
  • The Lift (1983) vs. The Shaft (2001) - the "killer elevator" movies both direced by Dutch helmer Dick Maas.
  • Like 2

Secret Executioner

Wanted to treat myself to a little marathon this month, but I haven't watched anything so far - not that I'm lacking choice or anything (a good chunk of my DVD collection is horror films), I just tend not to be able to pick a title to watch and/or do something else.

Edited by Secret Executioner
  • Like 2

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I'll eventually watch my crusty boot of Revenge of the Corpse, but I've sat through so much intense, horror-centric Sun Chung lately I'll probably wait. 

I need something a bit lighter. Probably the Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires some time this month. Not in much of a horror mood right now.  That said, I am glad I am off October 30th, TMC are showing a lot of Hammer Horror that day so I'll probably buckle down in front of the tube and watch:

TMC Hammer Horror October 30, 2015

8:15 AM

horror

9:45 AM

horror

11:30 AM

horror

4:45 PM

horror
Crescendo (1972)

6:15 PM

horror
  • Like 3

I caught up on all of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre films (including the 2003 remake and its 2006 prequel). I'm going to check out some 80's slashers this week including The Final Terror and The Mutilator. 

I've been pecking away at my HK horror movie list for the last seven! years.  Here's the current update for any that are interested:

• 24 hrs. Ghost Story (1997)
  • Ab-Normal Beauty (2004)
  • Angel Whispers (2015)
  • Baby Blues (2013)
  • Banana Spirit(1992)
  • *Bewitched (1981)
  • *Bio-zombie (1998)
  • *Black Magic (1975)
  • *Black Magic 2 (1976)
  • Black Magic With Buddha (1983)
  • Blood of the Black Dog aka The Accident (1983)
  • Blood Reincarnation (1974)
  • Blood Stained Shoes(2012)
  • *Bloody Parrot (1981)
  • *The Blue Jean Monster (1991)
  • *Boxer's Omen (1983)
  • Brain Theft (aka Pituitary Hunter) (1994)
  • Brutal Sorcery (1983)
  • Calamity of Snakes (1983)
  • The Cases (2012)
  • Centipede Horror (1982)
  • Chase From Beyond (aka Demoness From Thousand Years)(1990)
  • *A Chinese Ghost Story (1987)
  • *A Chinese Ghost Story 2(1990)
  • *A Chinese Ghost Story 3(1991)
  • The Chinese Whimsy (1974) (Taiwanese)
  • *Corpse Mania(1981)
  • Curse of Evil (1982)
  • Curse of the Deserted(2010)
  • The Day That Doesn't Exist (1995)
  • Dead Curse (1985)
  • The Demon's Baby (1998)
  • The Devil (1981)
  • Devil and Master (aka The Twilight Siren)(1991)
  • The Devil And The Ghostbuster (1988)
  • *Devil Fetus (1983)
  • The Devil Sorcery (1988)
  • *Doctor Vampire (1990)
  • Dream Home (2010)
  • Dumplings : Three... Extremes(2004)
  • Forced Nightmare (1992)
  • *Evil Cat (1987)
  • Exequy Dresser (2014) - Taiwan, Wu Ma last film
  • *The Eye (2002)
  • *Ghost Fever(1989)
  • Ghost Legend (1990)
  • *Ghost Snatchers(1986)
  • *The Haunted Cop Shop(1987)
  • Haunted Mansion(1998)
  • Hell has no Boundary (1982)
  • Her Vengeance (1988)
  • *Hex (1980)
  • Holy Virgin vs the Evil Dead (1991) (The Evil Dead)
  • Hong Kong Ghost Stories (2011)
  • *Human Lanterns (1982)
  • Hungry Ghost Ritual (2014)
  • Inner Senses (2002)
  • Killer Snakes (1974)
  • Kung Fu Zombie (1981)
  • Kung Fu From Beyond the Grave (1982)
  • *The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (1974)
  • *The Legend of Wisely(1987)
  • Lewd Lizard (1979)
  • Lifeline Express (1984)
  • Mad Mad Ghost(1992)
  • Magic Story(1987)
  • Mantis Fists and Tiger Claws of Shaolin (1977)
  • The Midnight After (2014)
  • *Mr. Vampire(1985)
  • Mr Vampire 2 (1985)
  • *Mr Vampire 3 (1987)
  • *Mr Vampire 1992 aka Vampire vs Vampire (1992)
  • Musical Vampire(1992)
  • New Mr. Vampire (1986)
  • Night Corridor (2003)
  • Nightmare (2011) (Mainland)
  • Nightmare (2012)
  • *Possessed (1983)
  • *Possessed II (1984)
  • The Rape After (1984)
  • *Re-Cycle(2006)
  • Red & Black(1991)
  • Red Spell Spells Red (1983)
  • Return of the Demon (1987)
  • Rigor Mortis (2013)
  • Scared Stiff(1987)
  • The Second Coming (2014)
  • *Seeding of a Ghost (1983)
  • Seven Coffins(1975)
  • *Seventh Curse (1986)
  • Sifu Vs Vampire (2014)
  • *Spiritual Trinity (1991)
  • *Spooky Encounters (Encounter of the Spooky Kind)(1980)
  • Spooky Encounters 2 (Encounter of the Spooky Kind II)(1990)
  • Spooky Family(1990)
  • Spooky Spooky (1988)
  • Tales from the Dark 1 (2013)
  • Tales from the Dark 2 (2013)
  • La Tele de Vampire (2014)
  • Three... Extremes (2004)
  • *Thunder Cops(aka Operation Pink Squad 2) (1989)
  • Thunder of Gigantic Serpent (1988) (Taiwanese)
  • The Trail (1983)
  • Twilight Online 2014
  • Troublesome Night (1997)
  • Troublesome Night 2 (1997)
  • Troublesome Night 3(1998)
  • Troublesome Night 4(1998)
  • Troublesome Night 5(1999)
  • Troublesome Night 6(1999)
  • Troublesome Night 7(2000)
  • Troublesome Night 8(2001)
  • Troublesome Night 9(2001)
  • Troublesome Night 10(2001)
  • Troublesome Night 11(2001)
  • Troublesome Night 12(2001)
  • Troublesome Night 13(2002)
  • Troublesome Night 14(2002)
  • Troublesome Night 15(2002)
  • Troublesome Night 16(2002)
  • Troublesome Night 17(2002)
  • Troublesome Night 18(2003)
  • Troublesome Night 19(2003)
  • Ultimate Vampire(1991)
  • Untold Story (1993)
  • Vampire Buster(1989)
  • Wicked City (1992)
  • The Wicked Ghost (1999)
  • A Wicked Ghost II: The Fear (2000)
  • The Wicked Ghost III: The Possession (2002)
  • Witch From Nepal (1986)
  • Witch With Flying Head (1982)
  • Wizard's Curse (1992)
  • Womb Ghosts (2010)
  • Zombie 108 (2012) - Taiwan
  • Zombie Fight Club (2014)

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Okay, I finally qualified: 

Revenge of the Corpse (1981) In true Sun Chung fashion it's how awful people are to each other which is the  most horrific thing about this, although that evaporated once this shifted into zombie - ghost mode.  Lo Lieh, Chan Shen  and Jason Pai Piao were having a very good time and, as usual, Lo always gives it all he's got (not just in the sex scene either.) Very silly revenger about a constable framed for theft and murder by his scheming wife etc. who comes back from the dead to kind of exact his revenge. I don't think there was a minute once the corpse was active that I didn't laugh. Oh, Sun Chung! You so silly.  This takes the prize for the worst Sun Chung movie I've seen... but fun none-the-less. Nothing like what I was expecting, which is good because it just proves why I enjoy Sun Chung so much, I can never really predict where his films are going to go. 

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi
  • Like 1

Rigor Mortis

I would rather call this a "supernatural mystery" than a horror movie. There are very few scares, although the genuine atmosphere of the movie is very eerie throughout, and a couple scenes made me squeamish. This was one of those odd movies that is hard to rate because while I never found myself bored during its runtime, it felt very unrewarding in the end. Its hard to wrap your head around anything in the movie until almost an hour in, luckily the atmosphere, fun visual effects, and interesting characters played by a veteran cast keep it interesting. ( ex. Chin Siu Ho, Kara Hui, Richard Ng.) I did enjoy the insight into the lore of hopping vampires/Taoist priest spells.. As well as just seeing those elements at all in a modern movie with a decent budget. The hopping vampire doesn't show up til' very late in the movie, but it is fun, and the last half an hour is pretty standard supernatural horror stuff outside of the jiangshi itself. There are two short stylized fight scenes, and they work well within the movie, although they aren't great. My biggest issue with the film is that after taking so long to make sense of things, I expected a bigger pay off in the end, and it just didn't happen. Still, an enjoyable movie with a great cast, fun effects, a strong atmosphere, and hopping vampires!

It wasn't bad, but I will probably never watch it again. Check it out if you wanna see some of these actors and/or hopping vampires in a recent movie. 

• Like 2

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Tombs of the Blind Dead (1971) This was one of the earliest subtitled films I'd seen besides Kurosawa and outside of the very blatant misogyny, TotBD feature my most favorite mummy / skeletal creations - the skeletal, vampiric Templars.  Yes, the subplot between Virginia, Roger and the third woman (whose name always escapes me no matter many times I watch) is childish and thin, but once Virginia's jealousy kicks in and she leaves the train for the ancient burial ground of the black magic-inclined Templars the movie really picks up.  Like The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue (which is my favorite zombie film and one of my favorite horrors period), the Spanish had a knack for creating very creepy atmosphere through sound, music, desolation and creature design.   

The templars are still awesome to look at as they terrorize the countryside in search of blood. Like the title says, they are blind (when the villagers executed the Templars way back when they blinded them so the Templars would not be able to see their victims. But they sure can hear someone and good!)  There are some amazing set pieces: the flashback of the ritual sacrifice (still one of the most convincing make ups I've seen), the Templars stalking Virginia, the morgue and mannequin scenes all hold up after two decades.   The flimsy story and meh acting really do not hold up, but I don't watch this for the living. :tongueout

Secret Executioner

FINALLY got around watching an horror film this month. 

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (Germany, 1919)

The bulk of this silent film in 6 acts is a story narrated by a young man about events that befell him and a young girl.

In a small town lived two young men (our narrator named Alan and his friend Franzis) who were both in love with the same girl, Jane. However, a fair coming to town would bring sorrow and death as a murder spree occurs at the same time, taking Franzis' life. Alan suspects it may be related to a guy from the fair and the freak he has on display - Dr. Caligari and a sleepwalker named Caesare (who told Franzis he would be dead by the following morning, which turned out true).

Following an investigation by Alan (and the police, though a wrong suspect is also arrested) and Jane's kidnapping, Caligari is revealed to be the head of a lunatic asylum who could manipulate the sleepwalker into doing his evil biding by following the example of a guy named Caligari - after being exposed, Dr. Caligari ends as an inmate in his own asylum.

But another twist occurs once Alan has finished his story.

Considered one of - if not THE - the first horror movies ever made, this Robert Wiene movie also shows Expresionist cinema at a peak, to the point Fritz Lang himself (who IIRC was to direct it at a point) said that a movie like this would scare audiences.

This is one film I never tire of revisiting, mainly because of its strange aestethics, the great score my copy has (a very fitting score that includes sound effects at points) and also for the acting which I find very enjoyable though it's very exaggerated (the make-up is also greatly done, the sleepwalker looks really creepy). The movie also got me into German Expressionist cinema, which isn't a bad thing seeing several of my favorite movies are from this artistic current (Nosferatu and The last Laugh being two solid examples)

• Like 1