It's October baby....Horror flick time!

GwaiLoMoFo

The grossest goriest movie i can think of is Peter Jacksons DEAD ALIVE (DIRECTORS CUT). It's not the scariest movie but it will make you sick to your stomach, and it's fun as hell to watch .

Yeah that lawnmower scene was geniusXD.

And I'll agree about the drive-in, great memorys as a kid watching the horrors back in the day. Anyone ever see a movie called Pieces? one weird movie I caught at the drive-in about 25 years ago.

Anyone ever see a movie called Pieces? one weird movie I caught at the drive-in about 25 years ago.

It's getting ready for its legit uncut US DVD debut from Grindhouse Releasing, a DVD company run by Stallone's son, Sage and Bob Murawski, the editor of the SPIDERMAN movies among others. PIECES is pure trash but lots of stupid fun just the same. The ending is one of the most outrageous denouements ever committed to celluloid.

Morgoth Bauglir
Yeah that lawnmower scene was geniusXD.

Agreed, the lawnmower scene is a briliant piece of filmmaking. Probably my favorite scene of the movie. That fat guy was also pretty funny putting the gnome head on the zombie's neck (excuse me if I'm not remembering it right, I haven't seen that movie in awhile),

Agreed, the lawnmower scene is a briliant piece of filmmaking. Probably my favorite scene of the movie. That fat guy was also pretty funny putting the gnome head on the zombie's neck (excuse me if I'm not remembering it right, I haven't seen that movie in awhile),

The R version eliminates almost all the gore scenes. However, the Australian cut features extra dialog scenes not present in the uncut US version.

I love these lists because there is always something that I haven't seen and it gives me an excuse to get them from Netflix.

One movie I haven't seen mentioned is RAVENOUS. Ok it's not really a great horror movie, more of a thriller. I saw it 2 years ago on Halloween and I think I'll rent it again.

I'll throw my hat in for these:

THE THING

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

SIGNS (I know, I know, I just love it though)

28 DAYS LATER

DESCENT

[REC]

grindhouse releasing sure does take their time on alot of things....much like media blasters, however the time they take is for ensuring the quality, so im not really that miffed

anyone see that sage stallone "last house on the left" remake called chaos?

Another great horror movie from him is DEATHDREAM (1972) which featured some early FX work from Tom Savini.

I watched that earlier this year for the first time. I thought it was very good.

Anyone ever see a movie called Pieces?

Rented that one way back and just remember it being nausiating.

Saw it on the shelf, but having seen the original I wanted no part of any "remake" of that film. Its interesting to hear Wes Craven talk about this film. He didnt seem very comfortable with it, not very pround of it anyway. And I think I remember him saying he doesnt know where his mind was at that time. Understandable

There was a period where I was into those cheesy DTV Full Moon Video releases. You know "The Puppet Master", "Demonic Toys", "Trancers", "Subspecies" ect.... Not alot of Oscar worthy material, but they were all pretty entertaining.

The Thing (the one by John Carpenter)- one of the best, if not the BEST sci-fi thriller horror pieces ever. That movie is creepy and downbeat. Best movie by Carpenter for sure.

Prince of Darkness- speaking of Carpenter, I think this one is underrated a bit. very atmospheric, wish there had been more to it or a sequel.

American Werewolf in London- the Nazi werewolf dream is still scary as s%#@!

Quartermass and the Pit- remember being scared by this one as a child.

Suspiria- agree on the creepy soundtrack- Goblin!! More of a psuedo-snuff film with a psychedelic palette.

The Beyond- Fulci film. Saw this at a film festival in Hawaii. Not sure between Argento and Fulci of who is more sick or non-linear.

The Grudge- all you hipster horror fans can suck it, this movie is very spooky in parts, especially the kid with his creepy moan!

Videodrome- Cronenberg. This movie freaked me OUT! Edit: most Cronenberg movies freak me out... .

Creepshow- nolstalgic favorite. I like the EC stuff and this vignette of shorts are a little scary but mostly fun.

The Descent- not pure horror but certainly horrific.

Dead Alive- this was more just pure fun for me. I love the very messed up Freudian ending!! I think the film is a classic.

Craven is producing an official remake of the original film. I think it begins shooting sometime next year.

Great to see some love for those Bob Clark films (DEATHDREAM in particular!). *I just found out that both the Blue Underground DVD and even the old Japanese release of this film (I have the Japanese release) are CUT! It seems the crusty old Gorgon Video VHS (see below) is more complete than both and seems more properly framed at full-screen. Full details here:

http://www.midnight1.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=185

deathdream.jpg

Anyhoo, I actually interviewed Mr. Clark a few years ago and he was a delight (very unassuming and casual). He will be missed.

Two fun bits of trivia about CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS:

1) Film was shot in 8 days for $60,000!

2) Yes, I have confirmation of this from Bob himself. Those eyesore pants Alan Ormsby was wearing WERE INTENTIONALLY FUNNY AND TACKY! Ormsby was always clowning around during the filming and thought the pants would be a hilarious asset to the film. So we can kill the "unintentional hilarity" wardrobe bit right there.

• Administrator
This image made it VERY hard for me to sleep at night!

tallman.jpg

I used to lie in bed squeezing my eyes shut so I wouldn't see the Tall Man standing over me. I guess I felt like he was waiting for me to wake up before he'd take me to be mashed into a dwarf! Then finally I'd open my eyes sure he'd be there. After a few seconds of feeling relieved, and starting to finally fall asleep, suddenly I'd think "Now he's there! He was just toying with me the first time. But I'm sure that this time he'll be there!"

I just watched CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS about a month ago. The DVD has some great extras. It's a really impressive film for the conditions it was made under. It scared me silly when I was a kid (I'm still waiting to recover from the silly thing!)

THE BEYOND is another one I agree is scary. This HOUSE BY THE CEMETARY and ZOMBIE (That great music!) are all mucho creepy!

Great to see some love for those Bob Clark films (DEATHDREAM in particular!). *I just found out that both the Blue Underground DVD and even the old Japanese release of this film (I have the Japanese release) are CUT! It seems the crusty old Gorgon Video VHS (see below) is more complete than both and seems more properly framed at full-screen. Full details here:

http://www.midnight1.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=185

deathdream.jpg

Anyhoo, I actually interviewed Mr. Clark a few years ago and he was a delight (very unassuming and casual). He will be missed.

Two fun bits of trivia about CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS:

1) Film was shot in 8 days for $60,000!

2) Yes, I have confirmation of this from Bob himself. Those eyesore pants Alan Ormsby was wearing WERE INTENTIONALLY FUNNY AND TACKY! Ormsby was always clowning around during the filming and thought the pants would be a hilarious asset to the film. So we can kill the "unintentional hilarity" wardrobe bit right there.

I used to have the Gorgon tape. If I remember right, there is nothing cut just some alternate footage at the end. This footage is an extra on the DVD.

froffeecoffee

Exorcist III should be added as one of the most underrated horror films. That extended sequence in the hospital hall is shocking and is still uneasy to watch. The scenes between the Gemini Killer and Lt. Kinderman are genuinely creepy. Overall it's always going to be overshadowed by the original, which is a shame because it works good as its own story.

Exorcist III should be added as one of the most underrated horror films. That extended sequence in the hospital hall is shocking and is still uneasy to watch. The scenes between the Gemini Killer and Lt. Kinderman are genuinely creepy. Overall it's always going to be overshadowed by the original, which is a shame because it works good as its own story.

Wasn't the original writer the director on this one? The hallway scene? Is that where the woman is crawling on the ceiling over top of them as they're talking? That was freakyXD I agree it's a good underrated movie but it is to long for it's own good.

5 Element Boxer

I liked Exorcist III. But I agree that it was a bit long.

I watched Trilogy of Terror the other night, just for the Zuni doll episode. I remember it being hella scary as a kid. Now it's hilarious.

I heard The Thing (remake) came out on blu ray. Anyone check it out yet?

froffeecoffee
Wasn't the original writer the director on this one? The hallway scene? Is that where the woman is crawling on the ceiling over top of them as they're talking? That was freakyXD I agree it's a good underrated movie but it is to long for it's own good.

Yes, William Peter Blatty was the author of both The Exorcist and Legion (the original book title). He was able to write and direct the proper sequel, but had trouble with the studio such as changing the title from Legion to The Exorcist III to capitalize on the original. Also, the title change coincided with the added scene of the exorcism in the mental ward at the end. There was definitely some studio interference that kept this from being much better than it could have been.

Agree it was a bit on the long side, but had a lot of excellent dialogue, tense atmosphere, and great character work.

SPOILER ALERT ABOUT THE HALLWAY SCENE

The hallway scene was the long shot without music and no cuts of the nurse doing her work and at the end the person in the white sheet walking behind about to decapitate her. Yes, the woman crawling on the ceiling was creepy too.

The hallway scene was the long shot without music and no cuts of the nurse doing her work and at the end the person in the white sheet walking behind about to decapitate her. Yes, the woman crawling on the ceiling was creepy too.

I'm also a fan of the film, and the scene you are talking about is indeed startling! The last "Excorcist" sequel was TERRIBLE.

Re-watched "3 Extremes" last night, great collection of short horror films. Another underrated sci-fi/horror film I watched last year is the DTV film "Altered".

While a few scary moments spring to mind, I cannot think of an all out scary movie that surpasses the rest. I used to find "Psycho 2" terrifying, especially when Norman is talking to his "mother" on the phone.

Does anyone recall the scene in "Pet Sematary" with the disabled sister? Now that was scary.

gravedigger666

Has anyone seen dario argentos "mother of tears"?How does it compare to suspiria or inferno?I am kinda broke(paying loans of new house) so would not want to hit purchase of 20€ if it fails to deliver..all money atm is needed to use into quality stuff....

Has anyone seen dario argentos "mother of tears"?How does it compare to suspiria or inferno?I am kinda broke(paying loans of new house) so would not want to hit purchase of 20€ if it fails to deliver..all money atm is needed to use into quality stuff....

There's a thread at this site about it and a trailer in the first post. People seem to either like this one, or hate it...

http://www.lovelockandload.net/forum/index.php?topic=736.0