It's October baby....Horror flick time!

GwaiLoMoFo

5 hours ago, paimeifist said:

We need to see some review for some of these man! Hahaha

better sets/budget than the old days, but even weaker acting (if that's possible) and ideas that feel out of left field LOL

Movie # 10

Talk to Me (2023) - Not only one of the best horror films of the year but one of the best films in general. Many aspects may seem familiar but I think they're delivered in a fresh and enticing way. Also, I tend to like when there is a lost of explore in a horror movie and that's definitely the case here. I'm actually excited about watching it again.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Movie # 10

Talk to Me (2023) - Not only one of the best horror films of the year but one of the best films in general. Many aspects may seem familiar but I think they're delivered in a fresh and enticing way. Also, I tend to like when there is a lost of explore in a horror movie and that's definitely the case here. I'm actually excited about watching it again.

Yeah I enjoyed it too. It kept me interested and the acting was solid. Great effects too.

I saw the main actress in a new NF show called Everything Now. She was excellent in that too.

sifu iron perm

My second film of choice at the BFI London Film Festival 2023 was this astonishing Horror-Satire set in the 70's..

Late Night with the Devil (2023)

A live television broadcast in 1977 goes horribly wrong, unleashing evil into the nation's living rooms.

This very witty and satire of 70's horror brings out the best and homage to our favourite genre and tropes; Possession films (obviously The Exorcist), Evil Dead (i know early 80's..bits i saw in specific scenes) and séance films with references to Omen etc. I dont want to give too much away but this was the best Horror Satire in years! I loved it and made me laugh and had few moments of feeling shook up..Fantastic 10/10

Late_Night_with_the_Devil_poster.jpg

Edited by sifu iron perm
  • Like 1

Movie # 11

Saw 3D aka Saw: The Final Chapter (2010) - Absolute dreck. Solid gore and that's it. The plot is nonsense and even the traps are overly convoluted at times. I just didn't care for this one at all. Possibly the worst of the series.

Edited by Drunken Monk

Appendage (2023) - "A young fashion designer's life spirals as her darkest inner thoughts manifest into something gruesome- that won't stop growing."

Started off strong and I was enjoying it but then it just goes down hill and never recovers and that is partly due to SFX. The idea is good but the execution could of been better.

Spoiler

The animatronics sucked and took me out of the film.

Also the black guy surviving the soul sucking was really stupid as he had been in that state for a while but came out of it like nothing major happened.

Acting was solid though.

Edited by PandaPawPaw

maxresdefault.jpg

Escalation: The Director's Cut: In 2021, I saw a short film from Italian-born stuntman and actor Christian "Kang" Bachini, which was set during the pandemic. A Chinese-Italian co-production, the film stars Bachini as Chris, an arrogant chef isolated during the pandemic who decides to rather stay inside instead of going to the outside world. Thinking people and horror movies are both stupid, he slowly begins to pay the price when the demonic presence in the horror film he's watching possesses him to do the unthinkable...to himself!!! 

Bachini did a director's cut that is slightly longer and more gruesome that will be debuting at the Flickers Rhode Island Film Festival on October 22. 

Christian gave me a chance to see the director's cut which I watched today. Shortly after the first time I saw it, I interviewed him about the film and his start as a stuntman in martial arts film in China.

Edited by AlbertV

Movie # 12

The Angry Black Girl and Her Monster (2023) - I didn’t know what to expect from this little indie flick but it’s very, VERY good. Lots of sociopolitical commentary, themes of racism, low poverty neighborhood violence and a whole lot more. This may sound like a lot but when the film’s this good is doesn’t matter.

It’s basically Frankenstein with a twist. Solid performances, some great gore and smooth cinematography.

My only gripe is that the film’s messages get a little muddied along the way. It definitely needs more than one watch.

3.5/5

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Movie # 12

The Angry Black Girl and Her Monster (2023) - I didn’t know what to expect from this little indie flick but it’s very, VERY good. Lots of sociopolitical commentary, themes of racism, low poverty neighborhood violence and a whole lot more. This may sound like a lot but when the film’s this good is doesn’t matter.

It’s basically Frankenstein with a twist. Solid performances, some great gore and smooth cinematography.

My only gripe is that the film’s messages get a little muddied along the way. It definitely needs more than one watch.

3.5/5

If you're interested, I interviewed the writer and director of this very film.  I enjoyed it as well. 

• Love 2

It Lives Inside (2023) - "An Indian-American teenager struggling with her cultural identity has a falling out with her former best friend and, in the process, unwittingly releases a demonic entity that grows stronger by feeding on her loneliness."

So being Hindu I thought I'd enjoy it a bit more but it was just really average. I liked the amount of Hindi used in it but I get the impression the main actress isn't fluent in the language as she hardly speaks and when she does, it sounds a bit rough.

Meh story and very dull at times. Not scary and quite forgettable. Good acting but the story isn't gripping.

A few new ones I got to see:

MV5BY2I5OTAzMjUtNTI3MS00NzkzLWJkODUtNDA3

Mary Had a Little Lamb (2023): From the producers of Winnie-the-Pooh: Blood and Honey but with a new director, the nursery rhyme comes to life as a horror film. When a radio show host specializing in cold cases is at risk of losing her job, she finds possible redemption in a recent missing person's case in the Woodlands. With her team, she retraces the steps of the people before they disappeared and it leads them to a seemingly abandoned house, which isn't empty but has an elderly woman named Mary living there with her disfigured son, who sports a lamb mask and well, you can guess the rest.

I actually enjoyed this slightly better than Blood and Honey. It gave off a Texas Chain Saw Massacre (the original) vibe to things. 

MV5BYjIwNGI4ZmQtYWNmMi00M2E5LThkZDctY2Zh

Yes, it's exactly what you think it is! It is a horror version of Caddyshack of sorts. When there is an upcoming tournament at the Old Glory Holes golf course (seriously, that is the name!), the groundskeeper in charge of ensuring there are no gophers uses a new synthetic mixture of pesticides only they don't kill the gophers...they get mutated and start on a killing spree....the gophers are actual puppets people and the golf course owner is meant to satirize a certain ex-President, even referencing one of his most infamous lines. There are even some insane musical numbers involving a romance between the owner's niece and a nerdy caddy and the caddies going to war with the gophers....pure madness and since this is crazy s**t I love to just sit back with a beer or two...loved every minute....even got to the interview the director and producer which I will be posting sometime next week. 

Three Blind Mice (2023): From director Pierre B and the producing team behind Winnie-the-Pooh: Blood and Honey comes another nursery rhyme turned horror film. In this one, a recovering drug addict and her family and closest friends are on a retreat to help the addict quit cold turkey. Little do they know that there are three hybrid human-mice creatures in the woods as well as they are picking off the group one by one. This one felt like The Hills Have Eyes meets Dee Snider's Strangeland with using more practical effects for the very torturous kill scenes. I think Waterfield and Jeffrey have learned from Blood and Honey and are resorting to making better kill scenes in their films. Oh and I'm convinced now. May Kelly, who appeared in Blood and Honey, Mary Had a Little Lamb, and this film, is definitely a name to look out for when it comes to horror. 

The Omen (1976) - "Mysterious deaths surround an American ambassador. Could the child that he is raising actually be the Antichrist? The Devil's own son?"

Seen this load of times but always enjoy it. Great acting all round and I really like Gregory Peck in this. Also seeing Windsor Safari Park brings back memories as I used to go there loads as a kid.

The Nun 2 (2023) - A better sequel. 

Green Room (2015) - Perhaps the best October watch so far. Not among the very best of A24 horror, but definitely closer to the top of the list and for a reason. It's a surprisingly well made film with none other than Patrick Stewart in the role of a villain. A punk band gets stuck in a neo-nazi club after witnessing a murder in the backstage. May not sound like much, but Green Room delivers. 

The Monster (2016) - Closer to the bottom of the A24 horror list, also for a reason. Bryan Bertino made a name for himself after making The Strangers, but this is not the way to keep your audience. A couple of solid moments in this ultimately underwhelming creature feature with no real depth.

Pet Sematary: Bloodlines (2023) - Nothing much to see here. King's recognizable moments shine here and there in an otherwise flat movie. For Stephen King fans only.

You're Next (2011) - Almost a tie with Green Room for this October's best horror. Slasher meets home invasion in an intriguing, playful, even stylish horror thriller that feels fresh and offers some delicious kills. The less you know, the better.

Spiral: From the Book of Saw (2021) - With X in the cinemas and getting good reviews, I decided to get back to this franchise. This time it's the dirty cops that get it, MO stays the same: death traps for everyone, lessons to be learned if one is willing to sacrifice. Not great, not bad. Still not sure Chris Rock was the right choice for the lead.

V/H/S/85 (2023) - To my surprise, I've only seen V/H/S/2 and that was because Gareth Evans and Timo Tjahjanto directed one of the shorts. Took a bit to get in the mood for the found footage/VHS aesthetics, but this is good stuff. 

Movie # 13

May (2002) - An objectively good film that just isn't my cup of tea at all. More a black comedy than horror, the horrific elements are tame and the story just didn't do a lot for me. Felt a bit hipstery if I'm honest.

6/10

Movie # 14

Monster Inside: America's Most Extreme Haunted House (2023) - This documentary explores those that run and attend extreme, immersive haunted houses. With a focus on the most notorious (and dangerous) on of them all, McKamey Manor.
It's genuinely fascinating as it talks about the dark world of thrill seeking. It also focuses on the pure batshittery of Russell McKamey and just how much of a sociopath he might be. Well worth a watch.

6.5/10

Movie # 15

Chopping Mall (1986) - Possibly my favourite 80's horror movie. It's got tits, cheese and violence: all you need in a horror flick. More importantly, it's just loads and loads of fun. Very light hearted, very silly but very, very entertaining. Great concept too.

9/10

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

texaschainsawmassacre2003_hero_movie.jpg

ghows-LK-e4c1937a-5e8c-4c21-b9b2-deb3cba

Today marks the 20th anniversary of the release of the 2003 remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Hard to believe it's been 20 years since we met Thomas Hewitt aka Leatherface Redux played by Andrew Bryniarski. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AlbertV said:

texaschainsawmassacre2003_hero_movie.jpg

ghows-LK-e4c1937a-5e8c-4c21-b9b2-deb3cba

Today marks the 20th anniversary of the release of the 2003 remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Hard to believe it's been 20 years since we met Thomas Hewitt aka Leatherface Redux played by Andrew Bryniarski. 

AKA Zangief!

af198888efc630fd8dde095d22213d6036712e47

I only like the 1st TCM. The other all suck!

17 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Movie # 15

Chopping Mall (1986) - Possibly my favourite 80's horror movie. It's got tits, cheese and violence: all you need in a horror flick. More importantly, it's just loads and loads of fun. Very light hearted, very silly but very, very entertaining. Great concept too.

9/10

Love this one!!! I've talked to Barbara Crampton a few times and she's simply amazing and so is Kelli Maroney :)

• Like 1

Movie # 16

Life (2017) - The greatest sci fi horror since the original Alien? Quite possibly. This is an under appreciated gem, which is pretty shocking considering the phenomenal cast. One of the few films my wife couldn't stomach due to the tension and it's squirmy antagonist.