It's October baby....Horror flick time!

GwaiLoMoFo

2 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Did you ever watch Ryuhei Kitamura's adaptation of Barker's "The Midnight Meat Train"?

I must have disliked it as much as everyone else did then haha.

• Like 1

Halloween week (revisionist) vampire double feature:

Blood of Dracula (1957) - A troubled girl is sent to a all-girls school while her dad schmoozes it up with his new wife-a mere six weeks after his first wife's passing. No wonder the poor creature is troubled! Anyway, she falls into the clutches of a feminist chemistry teacher who uses a mystical amulet to hypnotize her in order to release the inner destroyer within--there's actually an interesting, if warped, reason for this experiment. The inner destroyer manifests itself as a vampire.

The Vampire (1957) - A doctor unwittingly takes a pill developed by a scientist meant to regress human instincts to something more primal. It changes him into a blood-drinking monster. While the mechanics of the medicine are a little suspect, the film is fascinating as it deals with themes of drug addiction and how it destroys the individual and puts those around him at risk, too. The tragedy of the film is that the addiction came about as an honest mistake from two completely innocent people. Recommended for the general story and acting.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Dream Home (2010) - I didn't know what to expect from this one. I knew it was a modern CAT III but I wasn't sure what gave it that rating: sex or gore? Well, I was very surprised. This is an excellent semi-slasher with some of the best gore I've ever seen in a Hong Kong film. This one is BRUTAL.
I won't spoil the plot but I will say that while it's pretty heavy on the murder, it also addresses the economic issues of Hong Kong. Especially their housing problems. It does lay it on pretty thick so I can see how some people might not enjoy that aspect of the film but I think it gave the lead character an excellent background story. With a lot of it being told via flashback.
I know absolutely nothing about Josie Ho but she is excellent here. Both as a dramatic lead trying to deal with the turmoil of a troubled family and as...well...a psychopath.
As a warning, some of the violence in this one is very excessive. It's not just your run of the mill stab, stab, stab. There's a particular scene where a pregnant woman suffers enormously and it's pretty grim if you're sensitive to those kinds of things.
I loved this film though. It's a hyper violent CAT III film with a genuine message. You don't find that every day.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Dream Home (2010) - I didn't know what to expect from this one. I knew it was a modern CAT III but I wasn't sure what gave it that rating: sex or gore? Well, I was very surprised. This is an excellent semi-slasher with some of the best gore I've ever seen in a Hong Kong film. This one is BRUTAL.
I won't spoil the plot but I will say that while it's pretty heavy on the murder, it also addresses the economic issues of Hong Kong. Especially their housing problems. It does lay it on pretty thick so I can see how some people might not enjoy that aspect of the film but I think it gave the lead character an excellent background story. With a lot of it being told via flashback.
I know absolutely nothing about Josie Ho but she is excellent here. Both as a dramatic lead trying to deal with the turmoil of a troubled family and as...well...a psychopath.
As a warning, some of the violence in this one is very excessive. It's not just your run of the mill stab, stab, stab. There's a particular scene where a pregnant woman suffers enormously and it's pretty grim if you're sensitive to those kinds of things.
I loved this film though. It's a hyper violent CAT III film with a genuine message. You don't find that every day.

I remember telling a friend I don't really like Pang Ho-cheung, yeah not a fan of Vulgaria and I didn't find any reason for Love in a Puff or Love in the Buff to exist. He just said you should watch Dream Home and he was right. One of the best newer Cat III movies, real modern gem.

• Like 1

The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016) - One of the best modern horror movies, in my opinion. Highly original, interesting and VERY scary. This was a second watch for me so I wasn’t as shamed up this time around but it’s still an eerie little film. I’d recommend going into it as blind as possible. 

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Censor (2021) - This is movie number thirty one for me this October and sadly, it’s one of the worst I’ve watched. Absolute pretentious nonsense. The film starts boring, doves head first into being well and truly up its own arse and then the ending goes obnoxiously off the rails and into the surreal. I’m sure there are themes to explore but I’ll be damned if I’ll be the one exploring them.

A lot of people raved about this one and if they get more out of it then I did, good for them. I found it a chore and a bore.

• Like 3

Hunter Hunter (2020) - I can’t say much about this one without getting into spoiler territory but I implore everyone to watch it and to go in utterly blind. I had no idea what to expect and absolutely loved it. It’s dark and very grim but wonderfully shot and featuring excellent performances. That’s really all I can say. 

• Like 2

Dreamcatcher [2021]- Most basic of slashers you could imagine. I was interested in this movie as it goes with my interest in theatrical (masked) musicians, even ones that Im not particularly a fan of, ie Marshmellow etc. But alas the stuff can be entertaining still, Id imagine the shows may even be fun. I also love the killers minimalist cracked mask. And I figured the setup would be cool regardless with neon flickering lights and electronic music. This is also only accomplished as minimally as possible unfortunately. Huge missed opportunity for more psychedelic atmosphere in a film of this sort. 

Not a good movie by any means. Super obnoxious and unlikable characters. The plot twist is unbelievably bad and... unbelievable. Yet I still dont hate it, what could I really have been expected going into such a low budget movie. Doesnt always have to be a directorial debut masterpiece, came for a straight forward slasher that takes place in a club and thats what I got, cant be too let down. I mean still sucks (not even in a good way) but I wouldnt mind watching it again another halloween season. 

• Like 1

OpiumKungFuCracker

This is my favorite horror movie right now. This shit was bananas!

the new Blu-ray release from Synapse was absolutely gorgeous. The gore f/x looks stunning in 4K. My god give me all the Italian old skool horror movies remastered in the 4K!

BE7CA383-4D21-4D38-AE9B-9F383B3CB9E2.jpeg

Edited by OpiumKungFuCracker
Picture
  • Like 4

Last Night In Soho- Visually stunning movie, this is the lonely psychological thriller version of Lala Land. Impressed with Edgar Wright so much more after this, wouldnt personally geuss this was his direction. Guy next to me in the theater was there for his second viewing, can definitely see why. However its a movie you get the entire jist of the first viewing, what you dont get is still left unexplained, such as why the protagonist sees ghosts, or if the figure of her mother is a hallucination or ghost. Great little flick!

• Like 1

Clockwork Orange- What is there to say about this one. Stanley Kubrick classic. The home invasion scenes are creepy as hell. Ruthless and violent. Any kind of home invasion is just a freaky subject matter in general. 

As much as I love this movie I still havent seen The Shining or its recent sequel (yet still hardly care to). Got about halfway into the original clockwork orange novel before unfortunately losing my spot. 

This was one of four viewings that I watched the first night horror for the season. Night House to Wicker Man to Mandy to Clockwork Orange then most of the original Tenacious D series (which I was unaware of, and is hilarious). Dont know if Ive ever had that level of film watching stamina lol.

Movie number 31 of the season 🎃

will probably post some bonus viewings and reviews throughout November

• Like 1

sifu iron perm
On 10/29/2021 at 6:09 PM, Drunken Monk said:

Censor (2021) - This is movie number thirty one for me this October and sadly, it’s one of the worst I’ve watched. Absolute pretentious nonsense. The film starts boring, doves head first into being well and truly up its own arse and then the ending goes obnoxiously off the rails and into the surreal. I’m sure there are themes to explore but I’ll be damned if I’ll be the one exploring them.

A lot of people raved about this one and if they get more out of it then I did, good for them. I found it a chore and a bore.

I went to the same college as the film's director. 

I agree, I was let down. 

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
On 10/22/2021 at 4:35 AM, DrNgor said:

The Snow Woman (1968, dir: Tokuzo Tanaka) - Produced by Daiei. Two woodcarvers--an old master and his apprentice--are in the forest one winter afternoon looking for the perfect tree to use in a sculpture of a goddess for their village's temple. Later that evening, an intense snow storm forces them to find refuge in a nearby barn. That night, they are visited by the legendary Snow Witch. She freezes the barn and kills the old man, but allows his apprentice, Yosuko, to live on account of his youth and handsome features. The catch is that he must swear to never reveal to anyone that he met her. The same story had also been told in the critically-acclaimed Kwaidan (1964), which was based on the works of Lafcadio Hearn, who spent the last 14 years of his life living in Japan and compiling folklore stories. This story is also the basis of the gargoyle segment of Tales from the Darkside: The Movie (1990). Music by Akira Ifukube.

For some reason, the original US release of Kwaidan removed this story, even though it's the best and most audience friendly part of the movie.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 1:03 PM, Drunken Monk said:

The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016) - One of the best modern horror movies, in my opinion. Highly original, interesting and VERY scary. This was a second watch for me so I wasn’t as shamed up this time around but it’s still an eerie little film. I’d recommend going into it as blind as possible. 

I recently watched this on a lark and really enjoyed it, too.

31 Days, 31 Years of Horror, starting in '31 -- So for Halloween this year, I'll be watching and reviewing a movie (or two) per day, with each day of October representing a year, starting with 1931. I'll try to watch something I've never seen before, or something that I haven't seen in many years. So to start things off:

Murder by the Clock (1931) - Remember that scene in Wayne's World 2 where Kim Basinger seduces Garth and then tries to convince him in a round-about way to kill her husband? That is basically this movie for 74 minutes. Lilyan Tashman plays Laura Endicott, a sexy-but-horribly-amoral monster who is not above using her body (or the promise of it) to convince people to kill for her. The movie makes no effort to hide her villainous credentials, so the question is not "Who dunnit?", but rather "How will the plan go wrong?"

Apparently this was the first horror movie to be released in the wake of the monumental success that was Universal's adaptation of Dracula starring Bela Lugosi. It's nominally a horror film, especially by today's standards. It's not quite mystery; I suppose you can call it the great-grandfather (or -mother) of the sort of erotic thriller that became popular in the 1990s with Basic Instinct.

31 Days, 31 Years of Horror - Day 2 - I had planned to watch at least 2 or 3 movies today--these 30s horror films often run barely in excess of an hour--but today was Election Day in Brazil and we were all following the results as a sort of family activity. So I only got one in:

Murders in the Rue Morgue (1932) - An early Poe adaptation produced by Universal Studios when they were the Kings of Horror. This one has little to do with the source material, save a scene or two; the main character, Dupin; and the presence of an ape.

What we have is the evil Dr. Mirakle (Bela Lugosi, decked with a wondrous unibrow) trying to prove the Theory of Evolution in 19th century France by injecting gorilla blood in the local female population. The blood solution proves fatals to the local strumpets, so perhaps he needs a virgin instead. And maybe, just maybe, Camille, the girlfriend of med student and amateur detective Pierre Dupin, will suffice.

On one hand, you have some decent set design and matte paintings, plus Bela Lugosi chewing up scenery with nonsensical speeches about evolution that would make even Lamarck spin in his grave. But then again, you have a gorilla that is played by a chimpanzee in close-ups, and a ratty costume when seen from a distance. And as much as I'm not a fan of presentism, the four main characters' racist dismissal of the Middle Eastern belly dancers in the opening carnival scene makes me wish the gorilla would just strangle everyone.

• Like 1

31 Days, 31 Years of Horror - Day 3 - The Vampire Bat (1933) - A little German village is terrorized by a murderer who drains the blood of his victims. The superstitious population thinks the supernatural is afoot and that a vampire has made his home in town. The local constable, Karl Brettschneider (Melvyn Douglas), is a bit more modern and practical and thinks that it's "just" a very talented serial killer. Just who is right in this case?

I owned this movie on VHS for many years--I think I got it as a present from one of my aunts. I only watched it once, however. Young me only wanted to see non-stop monster action, and this movie is very talky. As an adult, I can appreciate some of the photography and editing--the wipe-away effect is used for scene transitions, probably an early example of that. And Fay Wray was not only beautiful, but this role didn't require her to spend the second half screaming, so she's pleasant to be around.

31 Days, 31 Years of Horror - Day 4 The Ninth Guest (1934) - Interesting film based on a novel (and a play), all three of which predate the publication of Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None... by a few years. Eight people high upon NYC's social ladder are invited to a party in the penthouse of a 50-story skyscraper by an unknown host. Once inside, a voice on the radio informs them that they will die one by one, unless they can outwit him (or her). Cue the deaths, revelation of secrets and growing paranoia among the victims.

Much like the 2004 film Mindhunters, there is an overwhelming feeling that the "host" is not only a beast when it comes to psychology, but that his powers of reason border on a Professor X level of mind reading. But if you can suspend disbelief in that regard, the film is a fun watch. I like how the host points the guests to a bottle of caustic acid for those who "don't want to play the game"; a few minutes later, one of guests tries to poison EVERYBODY ELSE just to ensure his own survival. Well, that explains that person's invitation to the party right up front.

Edited by DrNgor

Killer Meteor
On 10/3/2022 at 3:59 AM, DrNgor said:

31 Days, 31 Years of Horror - Day 2 - I had planned to watch at least 2 or 3 movies today--these 30s horror films often run barely in excess of an hour--but today was Election Day in Brazil and we were all following the results as a sort of family activity. So I only got one in:

Murders in the Rue Morgue (1932) - An early Poe adaptation produced by Universal Studios when they were the Kings of Horror. This one has little to do with the source material, save a scene or two; the main character, Dupin; and the presence of an ape.

What we have is the evil Dr. Mirakle (Bela Lugosi, decked with a wondrous unibrow) trying to prove the Theory of Evolution in 19th century France by injecting gorilla blood in the local female population. The blood solution proves fatals to the local strumpets, so perhaps he needs a virgin instead. And maybe, just maybe, Camille, the girlfriend of med student and amateur detective Pierre Dupin, will suffice.

On one hand, you have some decent set design and matte paintings, plus Bela Lugosi chewing up scenery with nonsensical speeches about evolution that would make even Lamarck spin in his grave. But then again, you have a gorilla that is played by a chimpanzee in close-ups, and a ratty costume when seen from a distance. And as much as I'm not a fan of presentism, the four main characters' racist dismissal of the Middle Eastern belly dancers in the opening carnival scene makes me wish the gorilla would just strangle everyone.

A female chimpanee to boot. And the ape is, according to the story, supposed to be an orang-outan!

I never could work out when they changed Dupin's first name, but then they had just done the same for Frankenstein, so I guess they figured why not?

31 Days, 31 Years of Horror - Day 6 - I missed day 5 because I had to work late. I'll try to do a double feature tomorrow.

THE ROGUES TAVERN (1936) - Another murder mystery set in a single location--a hotel--with the guests being brought together by a series of mysterious telegrams, and then start dying one by one. The killer leaves bite marks in their necks. Is there lycanthropy afoot? Another pair of guests, a detective and his girlfriend, are on the case!

I liked the killer's modus operandi and the film on the whole is fun to watch. I just would have enjoyed it better if the film's hero weren't such a sexist boor. Seriously, he's a complete jerk to his fiancée, right up to the final shot. I would have preferred a subversion of the trope and had him be completely useless while his girlfriend--a former department store detective--did all the heavy lifting (although she does make a lot of contributions to the solution).

Edited by DrNgor