It's October baby....Horror flick time!

GwaiLoMoFo

Ape vs. Monster (2021) - I just got done watching this. It was crap, as expected. You'd think with whatever money The Asylum made on the Sharknado franchise, which had LOTS of bad special FX, they'd be able to give viewersmore than 2 minutes of bad CGI in total for this whole movie. And yes, the film does rip off Rampage while cashing in on Godzilla vs. Kong, with the unabashed moxey to steal a plot point from Reptilian, for crying out loud! Beyond that, it's 85 minutes of questionable acting, questionable dialog, questionable history (the chimp-inhabited space capsule was shot into space in the 80s by Bush Jr. and Putin as a way of ending the Cold War...wait...WHAT???), and questionable everything.

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 3

Alien Covenant- One really badass scene showing the overhead of the civilization and spacecraft above. Not quite as mesmerizing of the similar scene or overall production as in Prometheus, but I didnt expect to be. It was cinematographically superior than I expected, so big plus.

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Koravec said:

Alien Covenant- One really badass scene showing the overhead of the civilization and spacecraft above. Not quite as mesmerizing of the similar scene or overall production as in Prometheus, but I didnt expect to be. It was cinematographically superior than I expected, so big plus.

I think the film does great until David shows up. Then the Alien universe suddenly becomes very small and hard to reconcile chronologically with the original. Not to mention the rules of the xenomorph's biology established in the first two films are completely thrown out the window in the third act.

I wish Ridley Scott had gone with an idea he once mentioned in an interview about Elizabeth and David discovering Who Created their Creators. Finding an evil space god, Alien-style, would have been better than what we got.

• Like 1

The Night House (2021) - Rebecca Hall

What a fine litte horror flick. Great atmosphere! Very tense and thrilling throughout. This is mostly due to the excellent performance of Rebecca Hall, the claustrophobic camera work and the piercing soundtrack. I'm usually not one for jump scares but this movie got me good. 

There are some issues with the story and especially the ending. The more I think about it, there's few things that just don't add up. Nevertheless this comes highly recommended. It's not a fancy horror flick with plenty of blood and gore. Not to mention there's barely any special effects. They kept it really simple and this works magic for most of the runtime. I appreciate that!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DrNgor said:

I wish Ridley Scott had gone with an idea he once mentioned in an interview about Elizabeth and David discovering Who Created their Creators. Finding an evil space god, Alien-style, would have been better than what we got.

Holy, that ‘once mentioned idea’ sounds phenomenal. This different species plotline is so contrived and departed from the ‘alien’ creatures that they might have well of just all out on making it its own movie in that way. Love cosmic horror/sci fi so that caters to me a little more.

Drunken Monk

The Awakening (2011) - Although low on actual scares, this is a neat little ghost story. Very atmospheric, well acted and a plot that really pulls you along. It might not be flat out terrifying but there are certainly some creepy moments here and there; more tense than blatantly horrific.

Rebecca Hall commands the screen magnificently as she plays a woman who’s job is to debunk the alleged paranormal. Of course, she takes on a job and things aren’t quite easily debunked.

If I were to compare it to another movie, I’d say it’s like the recent film, The Power. Which, ironically, I did not like all that much. This one’s a good one though.

• Like 2

Monsters of War (2021) - The original title for this was War of the Monsters, but I wonder if they changed it so that it would sound similar to Monsters at Work. I dunno. What I do know is that this film plays like a bargain basement version of The Mist, in which we focus on a group of people get stuck in a hostel after a bunch of dinosaurs, insect monsters, dragons and stuff emerge from a cave in order to set up a prehistoric ecosystem in the English countryside. This film has some of the worst acting imaginable, especially from the little girl. The CGI monsters are pretty decent (better than Ape vs. Monster at least). This was made by ITN Distribution and Jagged Edge Productions, who look like they are aiming to become The Asylum's main competitor. Picture that on the Tree of Woe.

• Like 1

The Gift- Geuss were all rebacca hall obsessed now since she keeps getting mentioned here.. lol. Anyway wanted to check out this one after watching Night House and hearing good things about this one. Her acting is totally different here which to me showcases her ability more than I realized from night house.  Was hooked as soon as I read the synopsis. Both movies deal with rebecca hall learning some not so great secrets about her husband. 

I suppose this is classified as a thriller moreso than a horror, nonetheless horrifying enough, even features a really creepy mask of the main characters phobia in one scene. This is one twisted movie, and Id say definitely a one time viewing on that basis as well as just being with the ‘mystery’ genre as well and mostly realized the first time around. The twists and suspense had me feeling really gross throughout. Even the couple jumpscares gave me a jolt of adrenaline fright lol.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 8:23 PM, DrNgor said:

I know there are a lot of people who feel that way about him. I've liked most of the movies of his I've seen, especially from Deep Red on. I haven't seen most of his 2000s - 2010s output, though.

Being a titan of Italian genre cinema that he is, I made it my task to see as much of his movies as I can, I do that with every director I consider important. I do need to rewatch the Animal trilogy as I was new to gialli back then and I'm sure I haven't appreciated those movies as much as they deserve, but other than those it's the usual suspects, Deep Red, Suspiria, Inferno, Tenebrae and even Opera, has brilliant moments. With time I've learned to respect Argento on account of those movies and was honored to take a picture with him when meeting him during a film festival in Italy.

Drunken Monk

Spookies (1986) - Sometimes, as humans, we make mistakes. It’s natural. Some mistakes are bigger than others. Well, a sizable mistake for me was choosing to push PLAY on this movie.

I can’t really tell you what Spookies is about. A mad scientist wants to reanimate his dead wife and in order to do that he has to harvest the souls of some unlikeable teens that turn up on his doorstep (???). And for some reason the mad scientist lives with a human/cat hybrid, an Asian woman that turns into a spider and a Gremlin knock off? 
Usually I can give mindless cheese a pass but this film is just bad. Nothing makes sense, the characters are annoying and it’s low on what it should have oodles of: gore. I will say that the practical make up effects are pretty good at times but that’s my only compliment.

Spookies is apparently a cult classic. I am definitely not on board.

• Like 2

The Possessor- Cronenberg flick. Probably better characterized as a thriller than a horror, though Ive heard it be categorized as a body horror which also fits. The cover art is pretty horror looking, also a creepy animated scene of a disintegrating body that resembles that poster. 

The possessor is no demon in this movie, but the main character here as she possesses particular individuals to carry out assassinations for her job. A bit of the movie Titane in this one, a bit of the spy film Anon. Almost a slasher as the murder scenes are brutal and grotesque. 

Watched it because an art curation poster I follow said it had the best set design hed seen for the year. I didnt notice much. For me the movie was Ok, but I wasnt too into it personally.

Edited by Koravec

movie time... I know it's not true horror...but still one of the most fun movies.  I have lost count how many times I've watched, and it's still fun every time

IMG_20211008_235623_020.thumb.jpg.faeb59898d5dbfef4bbc06f4131ea736.jpg

• Like 2

@nectarsis never seen any of them despite having grabbed the boxset. The whole series is gonna have to make my list here eventually, maybe next year if not this one. 

Have had split feelings on horror franchises this year. 

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 1

Spiral: From the Book of Saw (2021) - A standard serial killer thriller that doesn’t have the mystery, tension or gore of a Saw movie. Because of that, it falls awfully flat. Pretty yawn worthy, to be honest. On top of that, casting Chris Rock in this is like casting Adam Sandler as the new James Bond. Long story short, watchable but certainly not good.

Werewolves Within (2021) - The worst horror comedy I have ever seen.

• Like 1

Malignant- Wasnt crazy about this one. Have only seen the Nun out of the conjuring movies, which I loved, but theres not much you can really mess up there if you like that concept. 

The sound effects were very loud, the filmwork feels just as loud and outlandish at times, which I never thought I could say for a film. Thought the story was more cliche and predictable than people made it out to be, just left a bad taste for me. Maybe Id consider rewatching sometime to get a better grasp if it ever made me curious, because if Im being honest a fell asleep through most of it 🤦‍♂️🤣 

9 hours ago, Koravec said:

Have only seen the Nun out of the conjuring movies, which I loved.

Finally! Someone that enjoyed The Nun as much as I did.

• Like 1

The Wolfman (2010) - I don’t care why the naysayers say, this is an EXCELLENT movie. Atmospheric, very well acted and ultra gory. The critics say the actors aren’t given much to work with and that might be the case, but it doesn’t mean much. This is a moody, gothic werewolf movie where the atmosphere speaks more than the characters. Fantastic stuff.

Sausage Party- Yeah the animated adult comedy about food being tortured to death in the process of preparation and consumption by humans... As dumb as it sounds, even racier than youd imagine at times. A couple rape scenes are just as shocking from cartoon grocery products as ever. 

All I recalled from the trailer from a few years back was all the foods screaming their lungs out being tortured in the kitchen, that trailer bit was practically the entirety of that sequence, other than that its just the lingering conflict of the film. So not necessarily an actual horror, thought it would lean more into horror than it did throughout. 

Hard to decide if this ones somewhat clever or just dumb. Some scenes made me chuckle, overall goofy concept. Goes over surprisingly well though, and the reviews are surprisingly in favor of it.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Koravec said:

Sausage Party- Yeah the animated adult comedy about food being tortured to death in the process of preparation and consumption by humans... As dumb as it sounds, even racier than youd imagine at times. A couple rape scenes are just as shocking from cartoon grocery products as ever. 

Does the movie address the fact that if the frankfurters are being boiled to death before being stuck in the buns, that counts as some sort of forced necrophilia?

The Jurassic Dead (2017) - This low-budget picture is a cross between Carnosaur; The Re-Animator; and Day of the Dead. A scientist perfects a serum that resurrects dead animals and uses it to revive a T-Rex. He gets kicked out of the government and continues his studies at a university. After spooking his class by reviving a cat, he is fired and subsequently ran over by truck. Some time later, an asteroid hits the Earth while some mercenaries are en route to a military bunker to knock off the scientist, who has...I'm not sure if "gone rogue" is the right term...but has at least holed himself up. The mercenaries are joined by four bickering high school kids whose car was shut down by the EMP. Once inside the bunker, the people are stalked by the T-Rex, whose bite transforms its victims into rage zombies. The movie is incompetently edited, but I saw a lot of love from the filmmakers onscreen--unlike those cheap, cynical and unentertaining Asylum films. And the dinosaur appears to be a full-scale puppet instead of bad CGI, too. So I can't completely hate it, even though it's not very good on the whole.