It's October baby....Horror flick time!

GwaiLoMoFo

Drunken Monk

And so it begins!

Night of the Living Dead (1968) - I’m ashamed to say this was a first time watch for me. I not ashamed to say it certainly lived up to the hype! While I like Romero’s zombie classics, he’s never really come off as a good director and here that pays off. The amateurish feel to the film, as well as the overall eeriness and claustrophobia, really make this one to remember. It’s surprisingly spooky! And, of course, that ending….

The House of the Devil (2009) - I like a good slow burn film but there is a difference between slow burn and boring. This film is definitely the latter. This one “treats” the audience to over an hour or pure nothingness before delivering a rapid finale that acts as no kind of pay off. I don’t understand how this one is considered a cult classic. The direction and aesthetic is good but in all other areas it’s a dud.

The Pool (2018) - Took a chance on this survival horror from Thailand and was happy I did! The concept is simple: a guy is stuck in an empty pool with a hostile crocodile. It ends up being a nicely paced, rarely boring struggle for one man’s life with a number of increasingly perilous and interesting scenarios. You will need to forgive the film a little since it does get rather outrageous at times but that’s part of its charm. It doesn’t go for realism, it goes for entertainment. You also need to forgive the ropey CGI for the croc. But if you do, you’ll find a thoroughly enjoyable film, I think. Available on Shudder.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Titane- Just got out of the theater from this one. Still not sure what the hell I watched, as you will hear. But even so, didnt feel like it was abstract as others have made it out to be, while I felt like some of the movies metaphors had a pretty good effect on me, several other need some serious explaining for me lol.

Was enjoying the first act of this movie a whole lot more before it took the turn of her acting as a missing person to escape with a cop pretending to be his lost son... yea, didnt really think of it while I was shaking my head in the theater, but youd actually always hear stories of that happening in real life somehow. However with this plot direction the director is able to give some very interesting, and ‘peculiar’, character development. 

The main actress and actor are quite phenomenal. The main character is one creepy, ruthless b*tch. Reminded me a bit of Cronenberg’s Possessor that I recently saw and will soon drop my mini review for, with the ruthless female killer main character and inability to kill certain bodies in a scene or two in each. 

I actually wasn't super disturbed by this movie like I had anticipated. Debated whether I even wanted to see it based off the reviews and previews I took in beforehand. Even with both I still barely knew what I was getting. I wouldnt go into this one completely blind, Id make sure your even in the mood for this type of movie. 

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Exposed to Danger (Taiwan, 1982: Yang Chi-Yun) - aka Breakout from Oppression - Taiwanese suspense thriller (although it was included on the Martial Arts 50-Movie Pack) about a woman framed for murder who leaves the joint and goes to work for a newspaper in a smaller coastal city. Soon she's being stalked, but the question is "Who?" and "Why?" The film does not make much of an effort to hide the answer to Question #1 and Question #2 gets revealed before we're an hour in. The resulting question is "How will things get resolved?" Two killings in the movie are ripped off directly from Pyscho (1960) and Friday the 13th (1980), respectively.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

Gerald’s Game (2017) - Not your run of the mill horror but rather a psychological thriller with major horror elements thrown in. For those that don’t know the plot, a husband handcuffs his wife to the bed in preparation for some BDSM play but then has a heart attack and dies. His wife’s left to get out of her situation and deal with some serious demons along the way.

This is a very good movie. Not one I’d watch often but it’s quite a breath of fresh air as far as modern horror goes. It also features the only movie scene that’s made me cringe in about twenty years. 
Go in blind and you might have a really good time with this one. Its second act does sag a little but, all in all, it’s Stephen King done right. It helps that it’s directed by modern horror maestro, Mike Flannigan.

• Like 1

Night House: Movie makes you feel like your going crazy along with the protagonist. Midway through your just begging for it to be over as it becomes more tantalizing. Reminiscent of hereditary. I really liked this movie, nice representation if depression, also a good one for the haunted house genre.

• Like 2

I revisited these films yesterday:

Along Came the Devil (2018): Ten years after the death of her mother, Ashley (Sydney Sweeney) moves in with her aunt Tanya (Jessica Barth) while her older sister Jordan goes off to college. Ashley, reeling from an abusive childhood, reunites with a childhood friend, Hannah, and soon enough, Ashley begins seeing visions of her mother. When Hannah decides to try a seance to communicate with Ashley's mother, Ashley soon finds herself slowly in possession of a dark force, the same one that took her mother ten years ago. It is up to Reverend Michael (Bruce Davison) and newcomer Pastor John (Matt Dallas) to stop the Devil from taking control of Ashley. Sort of a 21st-Century Exorcist, Jason DeVan does a good job at teasing the slow scares up to the full transformation of the possessed Ashley which takes up a lot of the 3rd act and brings some very intriguing twists in mind.

Along Came the Devil II (2019): Picking up where the first one leaves off, Ashley's sister Jordan (Laura Slade Wiggins) gets a frantic voicemail from Aunt Tanya and she heads back to town. Jordan is told that Ashley was really sick and that Tanya and the local doctor took her to a facility to get her cured. Meanwhile, Reverend Michael reunites Jordan with her estranged father Mark (Mark Ashworth), who has since been sober and now has a family of his own with wife Karen (Tiffany Fallon) and son Xander (Cassius DeVan). As Jordan slowly learns the truth about what really happened to Ashley, Michael comes to grips with a dark secret that has totally been out to Mark, who slowly begins a downward spiral to his old ways. Just when you think it will go one way, Jason and Heather DeVan (who plays Ashley and Jordan's mom Sarah in the two films) really throw a curveball in the form of another horror classic inspiration. 

Having talked with Jason and Heather DeVan about these two films when they came out, they told me they are planning a third and possible final installment to close out the series. 

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

Hell Fest (2018) - Sometimes you come across a movie that makes you ask, "Is anyone just allowed to make a movie these days?" This is one of those movies. I've read a lot of forgiving reviews saying something along the lines of "It's just a slasher!" Slashers can actually be good movies. Slashers can be exciting and tense and, oftentimes, deliver lashings of aesthetically pleasing gore. Hell Fest does none of those things.
Instead, it plods through its 90 minutes, punctuating it's lame character development with either lamer kills. Though I will give it credit for one particularly violent murder scene. Everything her is so fucking generic. The killer's mask, the setting, the "chase" scenes... I was bored out of my mind.
Then, the film does something almost offensive. I kid you not, the last FIVE SECONDS of this movie are compelling, interesting, mysterious and creepy. A million times better than what came before it. Trash.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

The Head Hunter (2018) - This is a rewatch since, first time around, I was glued to my phone and didn't pay any attention to what was going on. Stupid of me because this is actually a very good low budget fantasy horror. Due to money constraints (you can tell it's a tiny production), it's definitely more about what you don't see than what you do see but this works incredibly well. The director definitely know how to deliver his vision.
The plot is simple: a man hunts down a variety of monstrous creatures, always after the elusive one that killed his child. That's really about it. There's a little twist in the tale here and there but, mostly, it's played straight forward.
One thing this film does perfectly (and I think it makes or breaks a movie like this) is atmosphere. It really creates the world in which these monsters and this character roams. I really do applaud its world creating.
At 72 minutes long, it's a brief watch but definitely an enjoyable one. Early on, it does get a smidgen repetitive but, again, it's for world building purposes. Anyone who's a fan of fantasy, try giving this one a go. It's currently on Shudder.

• Like 1

@Drunken Monk

Hellfest was one of my recent viewings as well so Ill give my review. Its a bit more positive than yours. My main dislike for this movie are how cheesy the main ‘boyfriend’ interest for the girl are, and even cheesier short haired chick. Hell all the characters are unlikable, typical horror trope, but also underdeveloped. 

Some really cool festive amusement park scenes gives the setting of the movie. I remember seeing the trailer for this one in theaters a while back which really excited me, but I forgot about it so am glad I was able to catch it on Netflix.

One of the coolest takeaways from this movie are the outlandish monster costumes of some of the amusement workers around the park, one a double sided giant head not unlike the giant heads slipknot used in their All Hope Is Gone era. Turns out those huge outlandish monster costumes are actually used in amusement parks for the halloween season. 

• Like 2

The Ritual- Glad to have seen this was on netflix as I was wanting to watch it after watching the directors follow up movie, Nighthouse (see previous mention), also plans to make a Hellraiser movie apprently. 
Judging by the two movies, Id never geuss they were made by the same director, however they both deal with witchcraft objects being found in abandoned houses in the woods. The director may have a knack for the abandoned house found in the woods trope, that I cant complain about because I really enjoy this trope as well. Compared to Ari Aster, this is like his Midsommar and Nighthouse is like his Hereditary if you will. Both directors have a knack for the occult.

This movie is like a cross between worlds end (deals with a group of friends and based around drinking initially with the recurring theme of a tragedy at a liquor store) and troll hunter (hiking while being stalked by a larger than life creature).

This movie kept making me chuckle at times when it wasnt supposed to, and in the face of tragedy. So much so that it reminded me why Ive disliked horror so much in recent years, had me shaking my head, just asking to give the characters a break. Really dont enjoy watching people be tormented, but enjoy the dark supernatural subject matter. Wasnt a huge fan of the movie taking a ‘Wrong Turn turn’ with deranged hillbillies, but it doesnt dwell on that aspect for too terribly long. The climax is slightly eye rolling or beyond my current realization of its grandeur.

Loved the liquor store flashbacks happening in real time, but as more and more people die the tragedy becomes so much less significant, yet the movie doesnt stop harping on it. Which would make me come to the conclusion that the climax is based more around the protagonists character development more than the murder itself, which given the helpless circumstance of the tragedy doesnt make tons of sense to me.

Not necessarily one Id plan on going back to, but also wouldnt mind at all. The hiking scenes are actually really cool in retrospect, wheraes watching feel as boring as too long of a hike in real life The flashback visions are a hideous mixture of nature and retail store which is actually a really interesting concept, which could have been done incredibly, but were done so good enough to still be intriguing.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk
33 minutes ago, Koravec said:

The Ritual- Glad to have seen this was on netflix as I was wanting to watch it after watching the directors follow up movie, Nighthouse (see previous mention), also plans to make a Hellraiser movie apprently. 
Judging by the two movies, Id never geuss they were made by the same director, however they both deal with witchcraft objects being found in abandoned houses in the woods. The director may have a knack for the abandoned house found in the woods trope, that I cant complain about because I really enjoy this trope as well. Compared to Ari Aster, this is like his Midsommar and Nighthouse is like his Hereditary if you will. Both directors have a knack for the occult.

This movie is like a cross between worlds end (deals with a group of friends and based around drinking initially with the recurring theme of a tragedy at a liquor store) and troll hunter (hiking while being stalked by a larger than life creature).

This movie kept making me chuckle at times when it wasnt supposed to, and in the face of tragedy. So much so that it reminded me why Ive disliked horror so much in recent years, had me shaking my head, just asking to give the characters a break. Really dont enjoy watching people be tormented, but enjoy the dark supernatural subject matter. Wasnt a huge fan of the movie taking a ‘Wrong Turn turn’ with deranged hillbillies, but it doesnt dwell on that aspect for too terribly long. The climax is slightly eye rolling or beyond my current realization of its grandeur.

Loved the liquor store flashbacks happening in real time, but as more and more people die the tragedy becomes so much less significant, yet the movie doesnt stop harping on it. Which would make me come to the conclusion that the climax is based more around the protagonists character development more than the murder itself, which given the helpless circumstance of the tragedy doesnt make tons of sense to me.

Not necessarily one Id plan on going back to, but also wouldnt mind at all. The hiking scenes are actually really cool in retrospect, wheraes watching feel as boring as too long of a hike in real life The flashback visions are a hideous mixture of nature and retail store which is actually a really interesting concept, which could have been done incredibly, but were done so good enough to still be intriguing.

I love this movie. An underrated gem.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

Deep Red (1975) - If you know me, you know I’m not a fan of Giallo movies. They just don’t really do anything for me. After giving up on Tenebraea few months ago, I decided to give Argento another go. Well, I’m happy I did because Deep Red is a goddamn masterpiece.

My sole gripe is that the film has pacing issues. Everything else is near perfection. From the oodles of bright red gore to the score… It’s all fantastic. The story unfurls slowly but Argento directs with such a wonderful eye for horror. Creepy mansions? Check. Freaky nursery rhymes? Check. Even freakier children’s doodles? Check.

Loved this one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I love this movie. An underrated gem.

I like it too, although I expected it to be something more of a masterpiece for some reason. Keep in mind I was going in with little plot knowledge and not having seen a trailer. Was very good, not as great as I anticipated for whatever reason.

• Like 1

sifu iron perm
On 10/2/2021 at 3:19 AM, Koravec said:

Hereditary-Had to rewatch this one. Caught it just half a year ago by now and it scared my socks off. Possibly one of the scariest movies ever? Maybe well have to make a thread about that if there isnt one. This movie really chills you to the bone in its eeriness, pacing and atmosphere. Though I must say most of the initial horror from the first viewing was lost to me on the rewatch after knowing what to expect, even the creepiest scenes didnt look as much just by remembrance. 

The big thing making this movie lack that of a true classic or great film is how it uses such similar tropes and setups as other modern day horror movies of the past 20 years, you wouldnt even think of it as an ‘artistic’ indie film of sorts with A24 studios behind it. 

The thing is though, it seems to do all the typical stuff better than all the movies that have come before. This movie delves into familial relations in a way that torments you unlike Ive ever seen before.

Hereditary is my top horror in decades, a true genuine scary horror film, gave me the exorcist vibes without over doing too much. 

Ive only watched it once at the cinema, so may rewatch it again for halloween! 

Edited by sifu iron perm
  • Like 2

Drunken Monk

Eden Lake (2008) - More of an extreme thriller than a horror but it certainly branches out into horror at times. A couple set out to have a long weekend at a serene lake where they end up stalked and brutally attacked by a gang of unruly teens.
As simple as the plot is, it's expertly directed. Dark, moody, tense and brutal, the way these films ought to be (in my opinion). It's mostly a cat and mouse chase through woodlands but as the film progresses, it builds to something else entirely, delivering one of the most "downer" endings I've seen in a film.
A good watch but far, far from fun. Bleak as hell, to be honest. I enjoyed this one but won't be revisiting it any time soon.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Deep Red (1975) - If you know me, you know I’m not a fan of Giallo movies. They just don’t really do anything for me. After giving up on Tenebraea few months ago, I decided to give Argento another go. Well, I’m happy I did because Deep Red is a goddamn masterpiece.

The main theme for this film, composed by Goblin, is one of my all-time favorite pieces of music ever. And yeah, it has some wonderful visuals and creepy sequences. And that final death scene...

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

16 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

My sole gripe is that the film has pacing issues. Everything else is near perfection. From the oodles of bright red gore to the score… It’s all fantastic. The story unfurls slowly but Argento directs with such a wonderful eye for horror. Creepy mansions? Check. Freaky nursery rhymes? Check. Even freakier children’s doodles? Check.

Loved this one.

Damn right, a goddamn masterpiece! Unlike you, I'm a fan of gialli and Deep Red is one of my favorite. For a director of such reputation, it's surprising Argento only made a handful of really good to great movies, less then one third of his filmography is brilliant, the rest more or less far from it.

23 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

The main theme for this film, composed by Goblin, is one of my all-time favorite pieces of music ever. And yeah, it has some wonderful visuals and creepy sequences. And that final death scene...

I had the luck to attend the screening with live soundtrack performed by the Goblins. Even without the subs, it was an amazing experience and though it wasn't the first time I've watched Deep Red, I was so impressed I watched it again subbed within a week.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Super Ninja said:

For a director of such reputation, it's surprising Argento only made a handful of really good to great movies, less then one third of his filmography is brilliant, the rest more or less far from it.

I know there are a lot of people who feel that way about him. I've liked most of the movies of his I've seen, especially from Deep Red on. I haven't seen most of his 2000s - 2010s output, though.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

There’s Someone Inside Your House (2021) - Am abysmal attempt at making a socially conscious Young Adult slasher movie. The them of “cancel culture” is pretty much forgotten about halfway through and the audience is left with a dismal, sleepy eyed murder mystery that isn’t worth anyone’s time. One of the worst films I’ve seen this year. It’s only highlight is may two solid kill scenes. The rest is awful.

Netflix just can’t do horror. Al they do is churn out movie after movie hoping one will be loved. It’s not a smart formula at all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Drunken Monk

V/H/S 94 (2021) - For some odd reason, I thought this one was going to special. Turns out, I didn't enjoy a single segment. Not only was it painfully blatant that this movie had a microscopic budget, but none of the stories really said much. A monster here, a zombie there. A vampire here, a cyborg there. There's just nothing to it.
There's some decent gore and gore is definitely my thing. But it's not enough to distract from all the negatives.

• Like 3