It's October baby....Horror flick time!

GwaiLoMoFo

My memories of watching Kung Fu films as a kid pale in comparison to my memories of watchin horror films. This is by far my favorite time of the year. Fright flicks on every other channel and streaming all over the net. The only Fu fliks that get any love from my dvd player this month are classics like "Mr. Vampire", "Human Lanterns", "Chinese Ghost Story series", "Spooky Encounters", ect.. Just watched Argento's latest "The Third Mother" aka "Mother Of Tears". It was great to look at as usual, but the last 20 min was very weak. The death scene in the museum was classic Argento. Shoulda made the title character a little bit creepy/scary. That plastic biiotch with the bad boob job was a terrible choice. And I've never thought that Asia was a good actress. Especially when delivering English dialog. Id give 4/5 for style, and 2/5 for substance. Cant wait to see this new Swedish Horror film called Let The Right One In.

• Administrator

Hey Bro, I was the same as a kid- all I watched was horror, and I still love them now.

For anyone looking for a couple of good recent horror flicks I'd recommend:

THE DESCENT

INSIDE

THEM (foreign film from a couple of years ago, remade as a just okay US film.)

Here's a few pics of a creepy gal (posing with, and without her mask) I made for a client who passed away right before I delivered her! OooWoooUuooo... :oNow she's been standing outside of my bedroom door for over a year. My wife is not happy! XD

post-159-144191882969_thumb.jpg

post-159-144191883001_thumb.jpg

post-159-14419188303_thumb.jpg

froffeecoffee

Love good horror movies. Really like watchin' a good zombie flick during this time.

Night of the Living Dead

Dawn of the Dead

Zombie

Return of the Living Dead

Shaun of the Dead

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I have to agree. Halloween rules baby!

I do the old school though as well as some classic seventies/eighties horror

The Old Dark House

The Raven Lugosi/Karloff

The Human Monster

The White Zombie

The Ghoul

Son Of Frankenstien (all three actually)

the Phantom Ship

The Black Cat

The Thing

The Shining

Tourist Trap

Suspiria

From Beyond

Re-Animator

etc.

Human Lanterns

Bloody Parrot (love this film)

portrait in crystal

corpse mania

The Black LIzard

etc.

THE DESCENT

INSIDE

THEM (foreign film from a couple of years ago, remade as a just okay US film.)

Agree with "The Descent" and "Them". Darksky released the original version of "Them" earlier this year on DVD, cool film. I loved the first 3/4 of the film "Inside", very creepy stuff. But I thought it shoulda left more to the imagination towards the end. Too graphic and over the top at the end. Turned a great suspense/horror film into a splatterfest. Sometimes its what the director doesnt show you that scraes you the most. Another good foreign horror flick recently released was "Frotieres".

man halloween is heaven for me. you guys are right on the money

now...anyone like coffin joe? im also a big fan of the phillipino blood island films

oh and fulci lives eternal

I watched Bloody Parrot yesterday. Nonsensical at times, but a helluva ride. I think it's interesting how a lot of the supernatural Shaw movies (straight wuxia fantasy, notwithstanding), end up having rational explanations, stuff like Swordsman & Enchantress, Hex, etc... Of course, there are also movies like Bewitched, Boxers Omen, Black Magic...

I picked up the Blind Dead collection (Amazon's got a good deal) and I should get it before Halloween. So I may at least watch the first one or two movies. I have a couple Coffin Joe movies (At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul (1963) & This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse (1967)) that I'll try to catch.

Also going to try to see Possessed and Possessed II this month as well.

Mark Pollard

I'd be interested to know what folks think are the genuinely scariest horror flicks, not the goriest or most offensive. This is somewhat subjective but I'd still like to see opinions. Here are a few of my recommendations.

IT (1990) - As a young kid, ordinary clowns at parades and such used to freak me out and the TV movie IT got under my skin, at least until the absurd ending. To this day I refuse to watch KILLER KLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE.

DAWN OF THE DEAD (2004) - Fans of Romero's original may scoff but when I saw this remake in theaters, my suspension of disbelief was so complete that when I walked out into the street I was literally looking behind my back for zombies. I love the original Romero classics for their political statements and humor but Zack Snyder brought more visceral fear to the zombie genre. It's rare when a film like that sucks me in. It's definitely superior to the overrated 28 DAYS films.

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1968) - I originally saw this on USA's Night Flight as a kid and it had me pretty spooked.

THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (1974) - Brilliant horror classic. Disturbing and insane, yet plausible. It's impact has been diminished over the years in part because of the craziness of modern horror flicks like SAW and HOSTEL but it's still one of the most unsettling horror films ever made. Don't even bother with the remake if you haven't seen it.

A TALE OF TWO SISTERS (2003) - I didn't really get into the Japanese horror frenzy that surrounded low-budget films like THE RING and THE GRUDGE but this Korean take on the "freaky little kid" genre is disturbing on a more cerebral level and is extremely well crafted.

As for a recent viewing I recommend THE ORPHANAGE (2007), a Spanish-language film. It's not really a horror movie, more like a psychological ghost thriller. It's very well written and acted and still has its fair share of creepy and unpredictable moments.

Morgoth Bauglir

Glad to see you guys talk about Inside. I thought it was a really good movie. It really scared me. I don't know what was up with that one guy coming back to life and going crazy, but other than that I thought it was a great movie. And Mark Pollard IMO the scariest horror movie is The Stepfather. I haven't seen it in years though. I wonder if there will ever be an American DVD. And Child's Play is the 2nd scariest to me. Child's Play took fear to a whole new level when I was little.

• Administrator

My buddy showed INSIDE to me and a bunch of friends at around 2:00 in the morning. Seeing it with a room full of screaming people certainly added to it's intensity! I do agree with GwaiLoMoFo about how insanely graphic it got though. I don't shy away fromgore, but it doesn't scare me. And a lot of this movie was really scary. Val Lewton's films made my skin crawl and I didn't see anyone's guts spilling out.

JJ77- Coffin Joe rocks! XD If you like his stuff, I wonder if you're a fan of Alexandro Jodorowsky? He directed the far out cult films EL TOPO and HOLY MOUNTAIN. Well a friend just lent me his copy of A.J.'s film SANTA SANGRE. I hadn't seen it since it came out in the early 90's, and wow- it still is a wild ride! If anyone out there wants to see an imaginitive, original horror flick- this is it!

vengeanceofhumanlanterns- I love your taste in horror from all the different eras. Haven't seen BLOODY PARROT though. What a crazy title!

Morgoth- Yeah, THE STEPFATHER was great. SPOILER ALERT********************************************************************************************************************************************

When he had that moment where he pretended to talk to his boss on the phone and used the wrong name, then looked puzzled, and says to himself "Wait a minute. Who am I here? (pause) Oh, that's right!" Man, I never looked at a phone the same way again! Kinda gives new meaning to the old commercial jingle "Reach out and touch someone" huh?

******************************************************************************************************************************************END SPOILER

Mark- I agree with you about the DotD remake. Loved it (except the baby FX should have been horrifying, but instead looked silly). The first 15 minutes is absolutely perfect! I'm a big fan of all of your picks except IT. That film seems to really disturb people, but it didn't get to me. The book scared me though. And A TALE OF TWO SISTERS was great! There was one moment- I'm sure you can guess the exact scene- that scared me like I was a little kid again! You know, where you think you probably should scream, but no sound will come out? :o

I'll take your suggestion to list my scariest:

THE BROOD -This David Cronenberg film chilled me to the bone. A totally over-looked classic!

ALIEN -My parents took me to see it on opening night. That night I was so afraid to put my feet on the floor that that little chestburster was going to come flying out of the darkness under my bed and latch onto me with it's silver pirahna teeth.

THE EXORCIST -Even as an adult, when my wife and I saw the rerelease of it in theaters, this movie is still SCARY!!!!!!!!!!

EVIL DEAD -So, all your friends are dead, and your in this cabin in the woods surrounded by demons? Um... :cry:

THE OMEN -The most frightening thing is how real it all seemed. It wasn't like it was in some weird nightmare world. It was our world- and there was the son of Satan! The remake was a joke.

THE SHINING -As much as this scared me, the book is much better.

PHANTASM -My Mom and I saw this about a week after seeing HALLOWEEN (both on HBO late at night while my Dad was working the late shift- which added mightily to the creepy factor), and it frightened me so much more than Michael Myers. The whole thing felt like something I was dreaming, and it was bizarre, and original. The Tall Man, the dwarfes, the ball, the music- all perfect.

TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE - The original. See Mark's description- ditto.

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND -Did anybody see this when it came out? Before the part where you'e oooing and ahhhing there's some scary shit going on!

THE THING -Both versions.

And three made for TV movies that were hellascary:

GARGOYLES -In 1977 I think it was, this movie nearly made me wet my pants. Something jumping on the roof of your car while on a dark highway? Check. Unseen creatures flying out of the darkness to carry you away? Check. Something crawling out from under your bed, and reaching over the footboard... aw come on! I was just a kid. Were they trying to kill me with fright?! :o

DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK -"Sally... Sally...":)

TRILOGY OF TERROR -The last episode- "AMELIA", based on Richard Matheson's short story "PREY". The voodoo doll? OMG The funny thing is- now I own a replica of it! LOL Hey wait a minute... where's that gold chain it's usually wearing? What was that sound? What the...? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Morgoth Bauglir

Oh hell yeah Bob! I absolutely love that moment where he forgets who he is. Probably my favorite scene is where the daughter goes down to get ice cream and the stepfather comes down not knowing she is there are starts cussing like crazy. So intense!

And I can't say that the gore in Inside scared me, the thing that scared me was how the movie would get into a tense confrontation, and then all of a sudden someone would just walk in the room. Hard to explain I guess, but those moments kept scaring the crap out of me. And I liked the end with how graphic it got. I was not expecting that at all. Loved it!

froffeecoffee

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark is one of the scariest movies I've seen even though it's a television movie. I was a little kid, which is the right age to get scared by it. When I heard Guillermo Del Toro is producing a theatrical remake, I remembered how scary that was.

On youtube, the entire movie is on there and I was looking through some of the clips and it still scares me. Atmosphere, the clever way the creatures are glimpsed, sound design, and lighting all combine to make a great scare flick.

• Administrator

I didn't know he was doing a remake! Awesome.

I have the original VHS of DBAotD, and one time years ago I watched it again with my wife. She still gets really scared by it so it's a lot of fun. But about a week later I was doing some work on the pipes that lead into the shower through a panel inside the back of a hallway closet. I left the panel off for a few days so I could keep checking that it wasn't still leaking. So I come home from work and my wife is in the shower. I thought- "Oh, great time to see if the seal is dry". I bend down into the closet and look, and it's dry. I hear my gal humming in the shower and a little devil tells me to press my face against the bottom of the tub and whisper "Free free, set us free!"- which I did before any rational thought or compassion had time to intervene. XD She screamed at the top of her lungs and I heard soap and shampoo bottles go flying! :) Then she started yelling what a jerk I was. :quiet: Which, clearly, was indeed the case. She sure tells a lot of people about it now though, and always laughing about "how funny" I am.:angel:

Mark Pollard

Kung Fu Bob, I agree that Stephen King's stories are generally better on paper than in film. I can't believe I forgot THE EXORCIST. I've mentioned before that I love films with rich atmosphere. That one is dripping with it.

I agree with your assessment of the baby scene in DOTD. Most of your other picks are great films but none of them really creeped me out with the exception of EVIL DEAD. PHANTASM is a movie I wish I had seen as a child. I'm certain I would have enjoyed it more. That film reminded me of SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES.

Since you mention CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, I have to add JAWS. That quiet scene in the boat where Robert Shaw is describing in chilling detail the sharks he encountered after the sinking of the U.S. Indianapolis is priceless. It's one of Spielberg's greatest directing moments and one of the best build ups to a horrific sequence ever shot. For anyone who needs a reminder, check out the clip on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5ACYu_ZNNA. Also, JAWS easily ranks as the scariest monster movie ever made.

• Administrator
Kung Fu Bob, I agree that Stephen King's stories are generally better on paper than in film. I can't believe I forgot THE EXORCIST. I've mentioned before that I love films with rich atmosphere. That one is dripping with it.

I agree with your assessment of the baby scene in DOTD. Most of your other picks are great films but none of them really creeped me out with the exception of EVIL DEAD. PHANTASM is a movie I wish I had seen as a child. I'm certain I would have enjoyed it more. That film reminded me of SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES.

Since you mention CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, I have to add JAWS. That quiet scene in the boat where Robert Shaw is describing in chilling detail the sharks he encountered after the sinking of the U.S. Indianapolis is priceless. It's one of Spielberg's greatest directing moments and one of the best build ups to a horrific sequence ever shot. For anyone who needs a reminder, check out the clip on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5ACYu_ZNNA. Also, JAWS easily ranks as the scariest monster movie ever made.

Even the music in THE EXORCIST is scary. I was really shocked when I found out that it was a previously existing piece- "Tubular Bells"- that wasn't written intentionally as a horror piece!

As for the scare factor of my choices, it certainly comes with having seen them as a kid. I was just a little younger than the boy that was the lead in PHANTASM when I saw the film. Talk about identifying with a character! When I tried to show it to my son though, he just thought the whole thing looked silly! ;)

And JAWS- I almost put that on my list. I was 7 when I saw it. Afterwards my Mom and I are standing there in the movie theater parking lot with these big saucer eyes, glad to be in the sunlight, and my Dad says "Guess what? We're going to the beach!" I can still remember how we dared each other to go in the water, and I'd run in just a few feet and run back out screaming!XD

Another movie that got me as a kid was INVASION OF THE SAUCER MEN!:P

Man, GREAT to see so many STEPFATHER fans! What a criminally underrated gem (and WHY ISN'T THIS ON DVD!?!??!). So funny everyone seems to zero in on the "who am I again?" dialogue. I was checking out a customer when I worked at a video/bookstore and he was buying the old VHS and I remarked at how great the flick was and he did the whole "who am I again?" routine!

As for Mark's question about the SCARIEST horror films (I'm also including films that genuinely disturb me or just get under my skin), here are some of mine:

-LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH: Finally a film that lives up to its title! I remember seeing the end of this film way back in the day when the Sci-fi channel just started being added to my cable package. It was right at twilight when the final scenes played and it just got under my skin. And that scene where Mariclare Costello rises from the lake in the white dress still chills me

-POLTERGEIST 2: OK, the first one is a classic for sure, but NOTHING gets under my spine more than Julian Beck's character in this film. In my opinion, he is THE CREEPIEST supernatural villain EVER (and that may include monsters as well!). It was because of the back story. He really was dying of cancer at the time and was just so emaciated, it was like his lifeforce was draining away on screen. His skeletal face is still very hard for me to look at even now. And the whole way they sketched his character as this creepy cult leader was even more chilling. Not to mention Beck's life and his involvement in experimental theater in NYC back in the day (actually, his troupe lived a very hippie/communal lifestyle that seems almost at least SOMEWHAT like the religious sect he headed in POLTERGEIST 2, which is even more weird).

-THE VANISHING (The original of course!): Well, it's all about that ending, isn't it?

-REPULSION: Certainly one of the most chilling and under-your-skin films ever made. Anyone who's spent a prolonged amount of time alone with their thoughts in a claustrophobic setting can relate, which of course makes it even more unnerving.

-ALIEN: If you ask me, the BEST part of this film is when they investigate the alien planet. Perhaps no other film has evoked the sense of the unearthly and "the uncanny" (in the Freudian sense) like this scene. I actually forget I'm watching a film during this scene. There's something so subconscious, so womb-like, yet so unsettling (all at once) about the set design and atmosphere in that scene it's truly like nothing else. And of course Goldsmith's score is simultaneously seductive and unnerving in its own hazy, creeping way. Absolutely unforgettable and still deeply unsettling.

-DER FAN (aka TRANCE): One of perhaps TEN FILMS I've seen that left me feeling utterly violated and deeply upset after seeing. The ending was just such a shocker but mostly because it was shot in such a sterile, distant manner and yet the conclusion of that scene was eerily dream-like and ritualistic but SOMEHOW SEEMED TO MAKE SENSE IN CONTEXT. An amazing, disturbing film that, in my opinion, is VASTLY SUPERIOR to the similar AUDITION. LET'S GET THIS RELEASED ON A SPECIAL EDITION DVD!

-THE CHANGELING - Gotta include this one! Besides the first-class jolts (that actually kept me awake for hours!), let's not forget George C. Scott's powerhouse performance.

-THE SEVENTH VICTIM - Such a terminally depressing, upsetting film. Gloom everywhere, under every nook and crevice. The waft of death and impending doom in this film is as thick as any pseudo-shock-new-wave-goth horror film. An absolute classic from the Lewton ouervre.

-HENRY: PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER - 'nuff said. Perhaps the most disturbing serial killer film I've seen. Michael Rooker is unforgettable.

-PERFUME OF THE LADY IN BLACK - It's like ROSEMARY'S BABY, done Italian style. And that ending's a humdinger that will haunt your dreams. WHERE'S THE DVD?

-HOUSE (1986) - A most unusual film. Not at all perfect, for sure, but it has its moments that still just...unnerve me and stick with me long after the film ends. It has this uneasy mixture of humor, horror, absurdism, and pathos that is nonplussing and unlike any other film I've seen. Perhaps Donald Willis said it best in his "Horror and Science Fiction Films IV": "Offbeat script is, by turns, horrific, comic, and tragic, and the amusement value lies in the unexpectedness of the turns. The ending may be pat, and the psychology not exactly fine-tuned, but there's some way-out-stuff here and there." My fave way-out moment: When William Katt explores the alternate world (dream/flashback world?) through his medicine cabinet.

-JACOB'S LADDER - Again, not a great film, but there are scenes in this film that are truly haunting and have stayed with me.

-SHIVERS (aka THEY CAME FROM WITHIN) - Cronenberg's ideas are always fascinating and disturbing, but personally I find his ideas for this one the most harrowing. *Note to Hollywood: PLEASE don't remake this! **And again: WHERE'S OUR SPECIAL EDITION DVD?

-IN A GLASS CAGE - Well, more of a PITCH BLACK drama than a strict horror film, this one is still a slam dunk in the "disturbing" category. And it's beautifully made, too. Goddamn...

-INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1978) - Perhaps the most heart-breaking horror film I've ever seen (and I've seen a lot). The mounting horror as the plot progresses is absolutely delicious, masterful, tragic, and deeply haunting. And who could forget Donald Sutherland in the final shot? SPINE-CHILLING.

Mark Pollard

Great list ministry88. I totally agree with your thoughts on POLTERGEIST 2 and BODY SNATCHERS. I saw HOUSE and its sequel years ago and recall liking both films but I would need to watch them again for a refresher. Unfortunately, I saw ALIENS before I ever saw ALIEN so my view of that film has always been skewed by the action-oriented perspective of the sequel. A couple of your suggestions I'll have to look up at some point. Cronenberg has made some really interesting films over the years. I still haven't seen SHIVERS.

Another film I want to add is DEAD END (2003). It's like a slightly gory TWILIGHT ZONE episode with some iffy acting but it cranks up the paranoia levels as a family travels a deserted road in the wilderness. It leaves you with a zinger of an ending that will challenge you to revisit and question what you just saw. In that way, it's like other clever brain ticklers including A TALE OF TWO SISTERS and DONNIE DARKO.

HORROR EXPRESS (1972)

BLACK SUNDAY (1960)

THREE FACES OF FEAR (BLACK SABBATH 1963)

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1968)

LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH (1971)

SHOCK WAVES (1976)

ALIEN (1979)

THE HOWLING (1981)

HELL NIGHT (1981)

ZOMBIE (1979)

GATES OF HELL (1980)

CREEPSHOW (1982)

FRIDAY THE 13TH (1980)

HALLOWEEN (1978)

HALLOWEEN 2 (1981)

THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (1974)

THE OMEN (1976)

TOMBS OF THE BLIND DEAD (1971)

REC (2007; subtitled version)

Morgoth, the guy at the end of INSIDE did not come back from the dead. He was still (barely) alive.

Morgoth Bauglir

Venoms5 do you know why he started killing everybody? I thought he was a good guy? I guess maybe he went crazy. That scene just didn't work for me.

Ministry that is a funny story. Nice one. And I know what you mean about Body Snatchers. That last shot with Sutherland really freaked me out!

I was big into horror in my younger years, kind of fell out of it over the years, now I'd rather watch the old b/w, hammers, and cheesy 70's/80's b-movies as the new ones haven't done much for me, though I did love Dagon. I've been wanting to watch Suspiria as I haven't seen this one for a long time.

Most scariest has to be The Exorcist, I mean it has a little girl masturbating with a cross, for the time people were puking in the isles and passing out in the theaters.

holy mountain is a complete mindfuck of a film

i HATED jodorowsky when i was younger, but as i got older and watched them again i can easily say he is highly underrated. wonder what that dune project would have looked like had he finished it

scariest movie of all time? well NOTLD stands as my personal fave...and slithis scared the hell out of me when i was 4

Venoms5 do you know why he started killing everybody? I thought he was a good guy? I guess maybe he went crazy. That scene just didn't work for me.

He knew there was a crazy woman in the house and managing to hang on after taking that bullet in the head the first person he sees is a woman covered in blood brandishing a weapon. Obviously, he didn't have full control of his faculties having gone back to what he was doing before he got shot. There have been numerous reports of people being shot in the head and surviving, some at point blank range. Also, some of those poor individuals were reduced to a child-like state mentally. The director was going for straight shock value for this balls out ending and he succeeded, IMO.

I'd be interested to know what folks think are the genuinely scariest horror flicks, not the goriest or most offensive.

There are a few runner-ups I want to first mention:

Dawn of the Dead ('04): When Romero made them "run" it kinda freaked me out.

Did anyone catch the extras which showed a mock newscast of the first day and how it all began?

Very realistic. Very horrific.

Alien ('79): Incredible space horror.

Nearly 30 years later and it still doesn't disappoint.

Blair Witch Project ('99): I can hear everyone saying to themselves "...ugh! That movie sucked."

The thing that got me was the camera's POV put you into the movie and you experienced everything those on screen did.

And that ending - brilliant!

The scariest of all time is - not a horror film per se - but a simple story about a big hungry fish named JAWS.

JawsBlaker.jpg

The theater (just a block from the beach) where I first saw JAWS back in the summer of '75

Having spent a good portion of my life near the beach, this is a film that still makes me think every time I enter the water. Case in point, two weeks ago I was in the Atlantic (maybe 3 feet deep). The water was murky and there was a severe rip current when "something" bites my foot! Sure, probably just a pesky crab but LET ME TELL YA, in the moment, it didn't matter because all I could think about is a movie I saw 30+ years ago.

A guy who chronicles the heyday of the Wildwoods wrote the following short article: The Summer Of Jaws

Believe me when I say, nobody was venturing into that ocean that summer!

And that is why this film will forever be the scariest (of any genre) that I have seen or will ever see again.

Dawn of the Dead ('04): When Romero made them "run" it kinda freaked me out.

Romero never made the zombies run. He had nothing to do with the DOTD remake. He was against it from the start. The running zombies were inspired from 28 DAYS LATER and was the choice of the director, Zack (300) Snyder and the writers. Actually, if you really want to get technical, the running zombies dates back as far as 1980 with Umberto Lenzi's awesome sleaze/action/gore classic, NIGHTMARE CITY.

And I agree about BLAIR WITCH. A brilliant and very scary movie. Innovative despite the similarities in filmmaking style and structure to Deodato's CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST.

Romero never made the zombies run. He had nothing to do with the DOTD remake. He was against it from the start. The running zombies were inspired from 28 DAYS LATER and was the choice of the director, Zack (300) Snyder and the writers. Actually, if you really want to get technical, the running zombies dates back as far as 1980 with Umberto Lenzi's awesome sleaze/action/gore classic, NIGHTMARE CITY.

Well whoever it was, I want to beat his ass.

It was easy to sidestep "The Slowskys" but these speedy SOBs really freaked me out! (haha)

And I agree about BLAIR WITCH. A brilliant and very scary movie. Innovative despite the similarities in filmmaking style and structure to Deodato's CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST.

Ah yes, a fan! Good to know. :D I just re-read a review I did of this film 10 years ago which I wrote the following ....

While Hollywood’s standardized formula for the horror genre comprises of overblown scare tactics and graphic shock value,
The Blair Witch Project
utilizes the imagination of its audience. Its about the fears that are just out of sight and comprehension, gnawing at the deep recesses in our minds. It's whatever we believe is out there, in the dark. What makes this film even more terrifying is the filmmakers have invited a fourth member of this witch hunt to come along for the ride -- YOU.

Its been about 4 Halloweens since I viewed this one. Perhaps its time for a revisit.

But hey, for a real scare, rent this movie and watch it by yourself.

...maybe at night.

....maybe at night and in the woods.