Sleepy Eyes of Death #13 & 14

daisho2004

OK I thought I do a little promo for Merlin over @ SamuraiDVD.com

As for myself I love this series so I'm really looking forward to picking these 2 titles up, they have never been released or subtitled so I can't wait to get them. If you tell Merlin that you seen this over at the NinjaDojo you'll get them at the discount price of $20. I'll post a review of these movies after I see them.

SON OF THE BLACK MASS #13

NEMURI KYOSHIRO FULL MOON SWORDSMAN

(Nemuri Kyoshiro Engetsu Giri)

Starring: MATSUKATA Hiroki

NARITA Mikio, KAMIYAMA Shigeru

Directed by: MORI Kazuo

The epic tales of Nemuri Kyoshiro, the 'Son of the Black Mass' near their conclusion as a young Matsukata Hiroki takes over the role upon the death of Ichikawa Raizo. Expert swordfighting abounds as the half-breed ronin runs afoul of the twin brother of the Shogun's heir, who secretly plans to replace his brother and rule the nation. The deep running conspiracy includes some of the most powerful members of the Ruling Council. Meanwhile Kyoshiro must find a way to defeat some of the most skillful fighters he has ever faced. Matsukata Hiroki's swordsmanship shines as he brings the character to a new level. Brilliant and exciting!

Letterbox Edition

SON OF THE BLACK MASS #14

NEMURI KYOSHIRO FYLFOT SWORDPLAY

(Nemuri Kyoshiro Manji Giri)

Starring: MATSUKATA Hiroki

TAMURA Masakazu

Directed by: IKEHIRO Kazuo

The epic tales of Nemuri Kyoshiro, the 'Son of the Black Mass' come to their ultimate conclusion with Matsukata Hiroki having taken over the role upon the death of Ichikawa Raizo. A chance meeting with another half-Caucasian ronin, leads Kyoshiro into a deadly series of encounters as he tries to save the lad's life and turn him away from the Satsuma Spy group's band of vicious assassins. The series ends on a high note as the superior sword skills of Matsukata Hiroki make this one of the most exciting motion pictures to come out of Japan. Entertainment at its finest, this is one of the most violent films of that era. A must-see!

Letterbox Edition

XD

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Raizo Ichikawa died in 1969 they got tried to continue the series with Hiroki Matsukata. The two movies were basically done and released a few months after the death of Raizo:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0277922/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0187346/

Those movies did not do to well at the box office so the stopped making the movies. They are worth seeing if you want to see another actor as Nemuri. They did the same thing in trying to continue the Ninja series that Raizo was the star of.

KC

From talking with Merlin he said they were Excellent movies. Now I watched the 3 TV movies made from this series while they were OK they were totally different in a lot of levels. I did a review of those movies a couple of pages back I'll try to find them and move that thread up. "Matsukata Hiroki" is a great Actor and very Skilled with a Sword, so I for one will be looking forward to seeing these movies.

Daigoro: Really there was only 2 episodes that you needed to watch in Order the exact titles I'll get for you tomorrow and if you never seen this series you have no idea what you are missing. This is my favorite series next to Lone Wolf & Cub, and Zatoichi series. Now Merlin has remastered them in box sets he has to do the 3 in the middle I believe its 5,6,7 then he has finished the entire series. I will find out the source for these last 2 for you from him as well.

Daigoro: From Merlin: The Nemuri films are from digital satellite broadcasts in Japan that were captured with a DVD recorder. They are pristine. Just not 16:9 anamorphic.

And Like I said you really only should watch #'s 4,7 back to back because those are the only 2 movies that have a continuation with the same character, other than that they'll all different.

OK I just got to watch these 2 films and all I can say was I didn't think anyone could fill the shoes of Raizo Ichikawa as NEMURI KYOSHIRO. But MATSUKATA Hiroki was Great in these last 2 films. I really wish he would've made a couple of more movies to this series. I think MATSUKATA Hiroki is a superb Swordsman so he really shined as NEMURI KYOSHIRO. If you're a big fan of this series you have to pick these last 2 movies up.

Just watched these two movies (thanks Daisho!), Hiroki Matsukata stepped into the role quite respectfully,he has that icey cold stare down, both great movies, shame they didn't continue with the series as the 14th film was getting into some sadistic territory, especially at the beginning where they showed his foreign father(a caucasian priest) rape his mother, there's some real hate going on and it's pretty unapologetic.

Nemuri Kyōshirō is an interesting character, love these movies!

How does the choreography stand up?

odioustrident: The choreography is excellent Hiroki Matsukata is great with a Sword you won't be disappointed ,trust me.

Kadokawa is going to release a bunch of Hiroki Matsukata Daiei films on dvd In Japan on 2017/05/26, including Sleepy Eyes of Death 13 and 14. No subs of course.

眠狂四郎 円月殺法 (1969)
kata1.jpg

眠狂四郎 卍斬り (1969)
kata2.jpg

I'm actually planning to see Sleepy Eyes of Death 13 and 14 in 35mm next week.

Archived