Treasure Hunters

GwaiLoMoFo

Rewatched this one last night, and it is still one of all time favorites. Imo, this features some of the best group fight choreography the studio ever put on film. Also some of the most creative fight sequences. Wang Lung Wai, Fu Sheng, Fu Sheng's brother, Gordon Liu, Liu Chia Yung are all in top form. The fights are blistering, story is servicable, and the comedy is actually very funny. The film is just a blast to watch, never a dull moment. I love this film! :D

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

I agree! Great movie! I laughed most of the way through, and the fights are very good. My favorite fight is the one where Gordon Liu is injured and he is like laying on top of monks while fighting. Crazy stuff!

Even though he was mostly in the shadow of his brother, Lau Kar Wing was very good as a director. This and Fist and Guts are two of my favorites of his.

The Amazing Psycho Per

Mmm... If there were a smiley with a raised eyebrow, i'd be using it now.

Did we see the same movie?

I admit the first time I watched this flick I moderately enjoyed it... But unfortunately it didn't pass the second viewing test.

I mean the whole final fight is just such a let down. Sure there's the crazy monk formation, but that hole thing with Fu Sheng and his glue and the part with the wooden dummies... urgh!:( Give me good intricate fighting in a finale fight... Not stupid gimmicks.

Lau Kar Wing is no Lau Kar Leung...

Sentswordsman

I really enjoyed this film. I wish that this was getting an American release instead of movies like Journey of the Doomed and Battle Wizard.

Great movie. The Booger scene with Fu Sheng and Gordon Liu was comic genius as was the antique shop sequence where EVERYTHING was old including the tea and food. Also, the library scene was tops. The opening segment was lifted from a spaghetti western whose title escapes me at the moment. Possibly the best example of Shaw comedy. Watched this one many times.

I mean the whole final fight is just such a let down. Sure there's the crazy monk formation, but that hole thing with Fu Sheng and his glue and the part with the wooden dummies... urgh! Give me good intricate fighting in a finale fight... Not stupid gimmicks.

The fights fit the tone of the whole film. I thought it was a good mix of intricate choreography and comic creativity. I could see how some people wouldnt care much for it. Always a blast for me.

Lau Kar Wing is no Lau Kar Leung...

Who is?? Only 2 other kung fu directors/choreographers I'd even mention in the same sentence.

Morgoth Bauglir

I was a little disappointed with the final fight. I actually liked Fu Sheng's glue trick, but still I thought the final fight should have been better. Maybe some more 1 on 1 hand to hand stuff would have fully satisfied me. But I enjoyed the movie all the way through so I can't complain too much about the final fight being a bit of a letdown. Still cool to see WLW go off on those wooden dummies.

Still cool to see WLW go off on those wooden dummies.

Yeah. I really like the part where WLW fights Fu Sheng and his brother in the old building. When he is breaking everything in site and knocking them through brick walls.

I thought the movie was very funny; also there was two big surprises, fu sheng's brother(chang chan peng) and Yeung jing jing. They fought very, very well and more than held their own against the more established cast. Big kudos to them.

A great movie with a great cast. The bumbling cop had me in tears, the library scene was well done. IMO, the ending could have been a lot better. I would have prefer Gordon Liu didn't break his leg and Fu Sheng found another alternative method besides the glue.

Shaw Scope Guy

The comedy was just terrible in my opinion, and ruined the movie for me. I watch this movie every now and then but I fast forward to the fight scenes.

ironfistedmonk

I love this film, one of my favourite shaws, yes a stand out balls to the wall end fight fight would have been better but the ending we got actually fits the tone of the film prefectly.

I havent seen this and might get the IVL or wait for a english dub dvd to come out. Do you guys recommend subs or the english dub for this movie?

As far as I can tell, this isn't due for a R1 release (which wouldn't guarantee an English dub anyway). It's possible; still don't know what Well Go's other five movies are, but I'm pretty sure the movies listed for BCI, MB, DD, and Image are complete.

If you really want to see the movie, don't worry about the English dub. It looks like the Thai/HK/Taiwanese editions are all still readily available.

Archived