Disciples Of Shaolin (DVD - IVL)

peringaten

SPOILERS.

The Celestial remaster runs the b/w Fu Sheng last gasp ruckus, straight after the colour build up (no break in the setpiece, from entering the mill owners mansion in colour, to reaching for shoes dying in b/w). I've heard, without back up in passing, that an original/alternate print ran the b/w scene as a flashback after establishing Fu Sheng was declared dead in the film, i.e. cuts after entering mansion, & you hear about the death through the likes of Chi Kuan Chun before you see it in flashback sort of thing (hence the b/w photography choice) rather than the fight sequence just cutting straight to b/w as it does in the IVL.

Not implying that Celestial accidentally/deliberately jumbled it (works great as is), just that their might be a couple of differently ordered prints of the film, possibly? Or they all run like the Celestial? Need to understand the creative choices behind this masterpiece, please.

Someone put me in the know...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The dutch tape in English with dutch subs bears the DISCIPLES OF SHAOLIN title. Credits in widescreen, movie fullscreen. The movie plays as it does on the IVL. Seen the INVINCIBLE ONE version several times years back and don't recall it playing any other way.

Cheers guys. Found a clip of the old print on youtube, runs the same as the IVL... guess being told there's an alternate order was an unfounded statement. Wouldn't change the way it is (perfection), but if it did run the b/w after the funeral, would make for a strange suspense & resolution. As it is, straight to b/w gives a wicked sense of experimentation on CC's part. Ta.

I have the VHS and Fu Sheng is battling one min. in b&w, and then he's dead on the floor the next. There's a cut to Chi Kuai Chun, and Fu Sheng's gf, standing over his grave... Chiang Tao mentions "Let's remove his clothes to see how bad he was really hurt", or something like that, and then it goes to the the color.

Or something like that. What Peri mentions is what was released... It was terribly dramatic that way, more than the remaster, although the remaster is good as is.

you're talking about the re-edited US-Version, that thing has nothing to do with the Original Version of Chang Cheh released anywhere else. it was like on the Celestial Version in whole Europe thankfully.

the b/w is nothing fancyful or thoughtful, it was just done due to censorship problems, like many other of the bloody Chang Cheh Movies of that Time.

Archived