Aces Go Places III - Our Man from Bond Street

Guest Markgway

Guest Markgway

Guest stars.

I keep seeing Harold Sakata and Neil Connery (Sean's brother) listed at various sites.

Are they actually in the film?

According to the HKMDB "James Bond" is played by a French actor: Jean Mersant.

The HKFA only gives the actor's name in Chinese: San Hong Nap Lei

I remember an "Oddjob" type in the film (years since I've seen it). Was that Sakata or an alike? No mention of him at the HKMDB or HKFA.

Also -- for anyone who has the film can you check the copyright date given at the end? I think it was 1983 (though the film was released at the beginning of 1984).

Thanks to anyone who can assist.

I was under the impression that it was Neil Connery playing "Bond", whilst it was a Sakata lookalike as "Oddjob" (IMDB seems to back this up - Sakata died July 1982).

I had no idea he passed away back then - which make me beg the question, how many films have I seen where I've thought it was Sakata, only it wasn't??? :P

I think Sakata was supposed to have starred with Bruce Le in the film Ninja Strikes Back aka Eye of the Dragon where Le takes on HJL in the Roman Coliseum but I have no idea what year it was made.

Mersant is the 007 stand-in. A Japanese actor who is NOT Harold Sakata plays the fake Oddjob. Neil Connery doesn't really look like his bro, checkout the daffy OPERATION KID BROTHER.

I watched it this evening--my first Aces Go Places film. Kudos to Tsui Hark for getting Richard Kiel, Peter Graves and a Sean Connery look-alike for this movie. I liked a lot of the gadgets, especially the one King Kong uses to get past the laser sensors. It was also fun seeing them use extensive miniatures for the FX. Plus, acrobatic Santas with jet packs! And wowza, Naomi Otsubo was friggin' HAWT in this. The plot didn't really grab me and Karl Maka's shtick wears thin really quickly in anything I see him in.

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 2