Best Martial Arts Flick this year

dyenboy

I do not feel there are any legitimate films to consider for this at this time. Yip Man isn't out yet, and The Forbidden Kingdom is a film that didn't live up to the hype- as far as I'm concerned. Jackie and Jet could have displayed their wares in a much better setting, with a little effort. I still haven't been able to complete this crock...

UPDATE: Our friend Winfred helped me remember Warlords as one of the best films of the year. Even though it came out at the end of '07, I saw it earlier this year, and it reigns as the best film I've seen with MA in 2008.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thundered mantis

As long as now, Forbidden Kingdom is the best we have had this year, as Flashpoint and Kuro Obi are technically from 2007, and The Rebel is from 2006.

Honorable mention to Chocolate, which I enjoyed more than Forbidden Kingdom, but Kingdom gets my vote cause of Jet Li vs Jackie shapes

As long as now, Forbidden Kingdom is the best we have had this year, as Flashpoint and Kuro Obi are technically from 2007, and The Rebel is from 2006.

I would class the rebel as 2008 because to the best of my knowledge it wasn't legally available with English subtitles on DVD anywhere in the world. Flashpoint however was available in 2007 but I suppose like somebody already posted it is down to when you watch it for the first time.

The very first thing I did on my birthday was watch Flashpoint. No seriously I put it on like 2 minutes before midnight. God do I LOVE that film. Donnie Yen is a true innovator and you can see that all the blood and sweat he p into the film paid off. Also got to say that Ip Man will be the best MA movie of this decade. Oh and I'm still waiting for the Chocolate DVD. lol (I was getting my free The Rebel DVD...but I moved)

Well 2008 is over so what were all your favourites as of now?

For me it would have to be "the rebel" closely followed by "chocolate".

If we are still talking about 2008, i would unfortunately say The Forbidden Kingdom, it wasnt all that bad, one of the only things i said to about this to thoer peolpe was that people dont like the white kid, he was portrayed too embarassingly and could have been done better, and that it was an american film.

i have seen Chocolate, and even with watching it with friends, i concluded that although there were so many things that i didnt like, i said at the end i liked the film, however!...i realised i was being too sympathetic and realised that i was indeed a poor film, all the hype of a girl being marketed to kick ass like Tony Jaa didnt really won me over because i saw they were merely copying from other Martial arts films and actors. 2 biggest references or rip offs were:

1 - the first major fight scene she had in the ice factory, and instantly when i saw this happening, the film 'The Big Boss' came stright into my mind, and what made it worse was that she was stupidly micking Bruce Lee physically and verbally.

2 - the second fight scene she had, in the box factory, now if u watched closely, alot of the moves and stunts she 'try' to pull off merely was replicating on what Jackie Chan would do, this would using the environment to use and create a fight scene which is wat JC does, in Chocolate this is what i see they were trying to do. and this annoyed me.

another thing i like to mention is that she never really had a good stand-off fight, the closest she had was with those other 2 females, but i could hardly consider them fighters. Until i saw the tracksuit guy, i thought this is what i have been waiting for, but to great dissapointment, it was shortly cut off tremendously, and was like 'what the hell?' also he kinda reminded me of Eddie Gordo from Tekken :D I would have a few mroe to say, but overall i actually think the film wasnt good, it was poor, martial arts wasnt all that, ive seen other females who can kick ass harder than her, i also think they were a little soft on her on doing these things because 'she was a girl!' and the filmed look complete unorganised.

I havent seen Ip Man yet, however based on people's sayings, it looks very good, and kinda wished ive seen it earlier, now im going to have to somehow watch it very soon!

If i am missing anything out, let me know :D but i really think it is between The forbidden Kingdom (America) and Ip Man (HK).

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
no one to retort what i said? :D

Sure. Here you go...

i have seen Chocolate, and even with watching it with friends, i concluded that although there were so many things that i didnt like, i said at the end i liked the film, however!...i realised i was being too sympathetic and realised that i was indeed a poor film, all the hype of a girl being marketed to kick ass like Tony Jaa didnt really won me over because i saw they were merely copying from other Martial arts films and actors. 2 biggest references or rip offs were:

1 - the first major fight scene she had in the ice factory, and instantly when i saw this happening, the film 'The Big Boss' came stright into my mind, and what made it worse was that she was stupidly micking Bruce Lee physically and verbally.

2 - the second fight scene she had, in the box factory, now if u watched closely, alot of the moves and stunts she 'try' to pull off merely was replicating on what Jackie Chan would do, this would using the environment to use and create a fight scene which is wat JC does, in Chocolate this is what i see they were trying to do. and this annoyed me.

another thing i like to mention is that she never really had a good stand-off fight, the closest she had was with those other 2 females, but i could hardly consider them fighters. Until i saw the tracksuit guy, i thought this is what i have been waiting for, but to great dissapointment, it was shortly cut off tremendously, and was like 'what the hell?

Well, the character in CHOCOLATE learned by rote- she watched others and copied their moves. So the ice house fight was her copying Bruce Lee. And the other fight was her imitation of Jackie Chan. Originally they showed her watching the films of these two on TV along with ONG-BAK, but they either couldn't get clearance for the clips (or didn't want to pay the money they would have been charged) so the scene was edited to only show her watching Tony Jaa. But I can see why you were annoyed by those scenes. I also felt like "She's great- but by imitating the best, she's only paleing in comparison".

Those two female fighters are real fighters and picked up the choreography great, and looked powerful (see end clip of Jeeja getting kicked in the eye) in the film. And I thought the fight with "Tracksuit" was filled with cool moves.

Just my opinions. ;)

I haven't seen the film, however, isn't the young lady supposedly austistic? That within itself would explain her mimicking her enviroment. It's actually a creative way of copying other popular filmstars, and in a way an homage to them. It also gives the female star a platform to display her abilities. Not very many "authentic" MA's out there today within the mainstream. Most are "POP STAR" wannabes producers know will bring box office due to crossover appeal in the entertainment industry.

I'd planned to pick this film up when I originally saw the trailer, so now when money is good, I'll add the Blu-Ray:D to my growing library.

Archived