Best Martial Arts Flick this year

dyenboy

As the title says, name your favorites for best martial arts flick this year.

I have seen quite a few and only a couple came to mind

Flashpoint

DOA (very surprising)

anyone else?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For 2008 so far, it's been The Forbidden Kingdom and Chocolate. Ip Man, although I haven't seen it, I'm sure will be one of the best this year, if not the best. also, if Ong-Bak 2 comes out this year like it was supposed to, it will likely be one of the year's best as well.

Kowloon, have you seen anything from Ip Man besides the promo footage? that's all I've seen, but from that alone I can tell it will be awesome! Flash Point is definitely on the top of my list from last year's best.

DOA (very surprising)

I was suprised with this one too, suprised it was sooo bad! I figured with Yuen Kwai involved it would be decent, boy was I wrong.

And didnt "Flash Point" come out last year (2007)? Im pretty sure I had my DVD last year. I'll go with "Forbidden Kingdom", what the hell else has been released this year? I havent seen Chocolate yet, and cant really vote for anything that hasnt even been released (ie Ip Man, OB2). Not alot of MA flix this year (thus far), I'll have to give "Kung Fu Panda" runner up...ha ha!

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah DOA was disappointing for me too. I expected better action. But I did like Kane Kosugi's 2 fights, and also the fight between Jamie Pressley and the black guy. The thing that really disappointed me was Colin Chou vs Eric Roberts. that's one of the worst fights I've ever seen.

Kung Fu Panda, although CGI, has great fight-choreography. No kidding. The angles are good, the fights are 'cool', and they also ue the medium to their full advantage. Again, not kidding.

Kung Fu Panda is the first great 'traditional' martial arts in years.

Kung Fu Panda, although CGI, has great fight-choreography. No kidding. The angles are good, the fights are 'cool', and they also ue the medium to their full advantage. Again, not kidding.

Kung Fu Panda is the first great 'traditional' martial arts in years.

i would cosign this, def my front runner as strange as that sounds

chocolate was good, but not quite as good as expected

forbidden kingdom wasn't nowhere near as bad as i expected, but still not great aside from THE FIGHT

flashpoint didn't have enough action, if the intensity of the last 20 mins was spread throughout it would've been the best pure-action movie in ages

can't really think of what else came out this year

looking forward to yip man, legendary assasin and transporter 3, and of course ong bak 2 if that even exists anymore

Yeah DOA was disappointing for me too. I expected better action. .

Same here. I expected much better action and felt very disappointed by it. Anyway DOA certainly wasn't from this year.

As for my pics of the year I will have to wait wait until I've seen chocolate, the rebel and any other titles released on DVD before New year's.

Flash Point definitely gets my vote for Yen's impressive MMA-style choreography.

I do have a feeling Ip Man is going to top it though and I've heard Chocolate is really good as well, so I'll have to see it.

I'm also curious to see how Coweb does, its like HK's answer to Chocolate (sort of) and I saw some brief glimpses of the fights and they look pretty good too.

Flash Point and DOA are both 2007 (last year) films, thought this was best MA films of 2008 thus far?

It might have come out theatrically in 2007 but I didn't see it till the summer of 2008 on the DD disc, so it's the best MA movie I've seen this year. ;)

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah action wise Ong Bak 2 should be the best. I haven't heard any updates for awhile, but I don't check around, I just look here for info. Anybody heard anything?

The Amazing Psycho Per

First, I strongly doubt Ong Bak 2 will be out this year, from what I know, it's still shooting (When Jaa came back not so long ago, the movie was only 80% completed).

Second, there is noooo way Forbidden Kingdom ranks as one this year's best. What, because of that 3 minutes fight between Jet and Jackie? Give me a break...

Third, the year is not over yet and there are still a couple of movie who could compete, espacially since this year has been pretty quiet until now...

Fourth, I saw The Loot for the first time this year for the first time, does it qualify?

Fifth, to me, Mirageman was the best 2008 released MA flick so far... Not that the choreography is out of this world (even though it's pretty good stuff), but it's overall an excellent and entertaining flick that you guys should seek out.

That's about it...:P

I'm looking for Ong Bak 2 and The Legend of Ip Man - the rest are ok I think...

The Forbidden Kingdom was pleasant surprise for me, considering that it could be much worse...

Too bad that Stephen Chow delayed Kung fu Hustle 2, I was hoping to see it by the end of this year :)

Chocolate was a good example for me in the tradition of Ong Bak - although too dragged at a time

Flash Point definitely gets my vote for Yen's impressive MMA-style choreography.

I hope that it doesn't bother you all if I say this, but based on what I remember, after seeing "Flashpoint" earlier this year in a theatre, the movie was a slight letdown. I kind of remember not really liking the fight scene at the end. It seems like the fight scene should've shown kung fu instead of MMA.

I kind of remember somebody on this message board saying that "Chocolate" "...has just about one of the dumbest stories that I've ever heard." I guess that's because I read that the story has to do w/ the main character eating chocolate, and learning martial arts from watching movies starring Bruce Lee and Tony Jaa.

"Kung Fu Panda" was just okay.

For other movies, wasn't there one that was released in HK earlier this year starring Sammo Hung, Danny Lee, maybe Wu Jing, and some other famous HK actors and actresses? I read that it did just okay at the HK box office. I think that there's also "Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon", although that might be more of a war movie w/ some martial arts, but I could be wrong. I haven't seen "TK:RotD", I've only read a little bit about it.

TheGrimReaper

@wackiechan: Three Kingdoms (to me) was a disappointment - wuxia style, but nothing out of the ordinary there, The Empress and the Warriors was also of poor quality although Donnie Yen was there, Red Cliff is something else - really promising picture and it will have a second part too... Chocolate was ok for me - but now the Thai cinema should concentrate on a bit of a diversity in their recent pictures :)

why so many people are voting for Ong Bak 2 or Ip Man? those movie aren't even out yet and you are already saying they are going to be the best of the year?? based on trailers, come on, wait until the movies come out and then vote.

The people who hype this movies are the same that later start to complain about them.

Archived