Taiwan disks with english subtitles

Stephen LaRocque

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fan Mei Sheng

Hello!

The DVD from Hoker Records "Dragon Fist" is CHOW KEN aka. FURY OF

KING BOXER. Unfortunately in "FULLSCREEN", no English Subtitles.

Greetings

Fan Mei Sheng

I just started watching the Hoker releases and my copy of The Brave and the Evil jams up before Wang Yu's final fight. Has anyone else had problems with the Hoker releases? If not, I'll go for a replacement disk. I just watched The Grand Passion and that played fine. All in all, these are a great addition to my collection.

I have most of the Hoker releases and haven't run into any issues playing them. I think The Brave and the Evil is the only disc I haven't watched yet though - once I get around to watching it, I'll post an update.

I got The Brave and the Evil to play ok on my Panasonic dvd player. It jammed up on my computer and Toshiba dvd player.

I guess my disk is just quirky with some machines.

No problems with any of the other films, but I'm not done watching yet.

i have some of the non-Kung Fu Movies like WINDOWS OF THE MIND and some Brigitte Lin, none would play properly on my cheap Player, only after reburn all went well.

Cheap player might be the key here. My Toshiba, which wouldn't play it, is a $30 player; my Panasonic, which did play it, is a $180 player. So the disks might be ok, if the quality of the player is good.

of course they play on my Panasonic too. BUT every (!) other Original DVD plays fine on the cheap one so it's the crappy DVD's fault ;)

of course they play on my Panasonic too. BUT every (!) other Original DVD plays fine on the cheap one so it's the crappy DVD's fault ;)

Point taken. Dvds should play on all dvd players!

For those interested, the taiwanese dvds of Sword Named Revenge, The Lost Swordship & Love & Sword all look better than the rarescope releases of those movies. I A/B'ed them today & was really surprised.

Has anyone here ever checke out "The Goldenward Series" of films? Here's one that looks interesting:

http://www.yesasia.com/global/goldenward-series-of-chinese-movies-the-venturer-taiwan-version/1003345955-0-0-0-en/info.html

I have the Goldenward Series release of "A Valiant Villain". Unlike the Hoker DVDs, it's fullscreen and does not have English subtitles.

I was poking around dvd.jsdvdmall.com and I see they're selling box sets of some of the Hoker (Union) discs:

Petro Martial Arts Classic Box 1

-A City Called Dragon

-A Touch of Zen

-Dragon Inn

Petro Martial Arts Classic Box 2

-One Armed Boxer vs The Flying Guillotine

-Black Invitation

-A Girl Fighter

Petro Martial Arts Classic Box 3

-Lung Wei Village

-Rider of Revenge

-The Bravest Revenge

They're all Hoker editions; some of the listings don't list an English sub, but I've got all the individual editions except for One Armed Boxer vs The Flying Guillotine and Lung Wei Village and they all have English subs, so presumably Lung Wei Village does too. One Armed Boxer vs The Flying Guillotine lists an English sub.

Also can't find individual listings for One Armed Boxer vs The Flying Guillotine and Lung Wei Village, so they might only be available as part of a box. Couldn't find any of the boxes at Yesasia.

Anyone know if there's a Taiwanese cut of One Armed Boxer vs The Flying Guillotine? Might pick up box 3 for Lung Wei Village, but otherwise I've already got everything else.

Also see another box:

Wu Hsia Ta Shih Hu Chin Chuan Ching Tien Tso Pin

-Dragon Inn

-A Touch of Zen

-Painted Skin

I've ordered the Petro Martial Arts Classic Box 3 (for Lung Wei Village). I should get in in two or three weeks. I'll post whether Lung Wei Village has English subs and if the other two discs (Rider of Revenge, The Bravest Revenge) are the same as the previously released single discs.

I now notice (about a week after the fact), that Yesasia appears to have the actual dvd (Lung Wei Village) for sale. They don't list English subs either...eh, I'll know for sure when the disc is in my player. The two spare titles become Christmas gifts and I'll hold on to the box, because I like boxes.

Oh, Yesasia's also got One Arm Chivalry Fights Against One Arm Chivalry (Hoker), once again, no English subs are listed.

If they have no subs and they look to be good films, I will hire a translator & make a subtitled dvd myself. There area a few cool looking films as part of the "Classic Taiwan Cinema" series. Lethal Hook is by Gu Long & so is Hero Vs Hero. Black Wind Inn looks interesting. They charge too much for these movies. When they were in stock in Chinatown, they were only a couple of bucks.

Killer Meteor

Out of curiosity, how does One Armed Boxer Vs. Flying Guillotine compare to its UK counterparts? Does it have a Chinese credit sequence?

Got the Retro Martial Arts Classic Box 3 :rolleyes:

in today. I can confirm that Lung Wei Village (and thus One Arm Chivalry Fights Against One Arm Chivalry) has no English subs. Interestingly the Lung Wei Village opening credits are in Chinese/English making me think that maybe the picture was cropped to remove them (bottom looks a little tight too). Picture quality is about the same as the other Hoker releases.

For anyone that's interested:

Box front:

8wgpdv.jpg

The cover is a mashup of the poster art covers of Rider of Revenge and The Bravest Revenge.

Box back:

2uetovb.jpg

Rider of Revenge and The Bravest Revenge both seem to be exactly the same as the other two I own; just no slip case.

The box itself looks nice, but is on the flimsy side. It might be worthwhile picking up box one and/or two if you don't already have those individual releases, maybe box three too.

Just saw that there is now a Retro (Petro) Martial Arts Classic Box 4. It includes The Brave and the Evil, The Decisive Battle and one other that's not named. All three include English subs. Worthwhile perhaps if you like boxes and haven't already picked up these titles.

Hoker's up to number 6 for the Retro Martial Arts boxes. Number 6 includes King Hu's Legend of The Mountain (also available separately), but as far as I can tell it's not English subbed :cry:

Just saw that there is now a Retro (Petro) Martial Arts Classic Box 4. It includes The Brave and the Evil, The Decisive Battle and one other that's not named. All three include English subs. Worthwhile perhaps if you like boxes and haven't already picked up these titles.

I think the unnamed film is blood revenge.

Archived