Taiwan disks with english subtitles

Stephen LaRocque

What a surprise to find almost all the Hoker titles on sale in the shops here!

This is the first time they are available here.

Of course the ones that are missing are the ones I am most interested in like the Polly Shang titles.

On a related note, does anyone know of an online merchant in Taiwan that is able and willing to ship to Malaysia and Singapore?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to Tantao for posting the information about the hoker dvds and the Union Filmography! I'm going to start ordering more of these films. Like Winfred, I'm wondering about Taiwanese on-line merchants because yesasia is a little expensive. Maybe a Malay seller like speedy wold be cheaper?

h

Killer Meteor
..when I am telling ALL have English subtitles...Dragon Inn has English subtitles for sure...ALL means ALL...otherwise I would have told it to the "scholars" of this board...

What sort of subtitles? New ones, or the Chinese/English sort seen on old prints?

What sort of subtitles? New ones, or the Chinese/English sort seen on old prints?

Hi,

I believe that the subs are new and removable, if The Brave and The Evil is any indication.

h

Thank you JustinB.

The site is wonderful. Shipping is expensive as they use EMS but it is acceptable since it is a courier service.

Killer Meteor
Hi,

I believe that the subs are new and removable, if The Brave and The Evil is any indication.

h

Thanks. I understand Dragon Inn is anamorphic. Are any of the others

Brave & The Evil was a letterboxed print, or should I say a windowboxed print. It looked the same as my german Dragon Gate Inn dvd. That Taiwanese store is cool, but I can't make sense of the shipping rates. Their prices are about 9 bucks US per dvd, which is cheaper than yesasia. I wish dddhouse would carry these.

For those interested, Hoker has just released 5 additional DVDs - all are available at YesAsia:

A City Called Dragon

The Ghost Hill

A Girl Fighter

Black Invitation

The Grand Passion (listed as 'The Grant Passion')

I was going to purchase Brigitte Lin's Be Careful Sweetheart in a shop here but my friend who runs it insists that it does not have English subs and I won't understand a word. The Hoker DVD is factory sealed and we can't check. Does anyone know whether this particular DVD has English subs? Thanks.

I was going to purchase Brigitte Lin's Be Careful Sweetheart in a shop here but my friend who runs it insists that it does not have English subs and I won't understand a word. The Hoker DVD is factory sealed and we can't check. Does anyone know whether this particular DVD has English subs? Thanks.

I don't think Be Careful Sweetheart is subbed. The DVD's that are subbed from that series are the older films with the subs burnt into the picture, like Sword Named Revenge & The Lost Swordship. This is more an educated guess then anything else & I could be wrong.

Johnny of DDDhouse is trying to contact a distributor so that he can list these DVDs for sale. I have emailed him the phone numbers on the covers of the Hokers so hopefully, we can expect these DVDs to be more reasonably priced in future.

Stephen LaRocque

For anyone who wants to catalogue what's out ther - Hoker has a web page:

http://www.hoker.com.tw/

with this being their DVD catalogue

http://www.hoker.com.tw/dvd/

their highest # is 518 (there are the new ones mentioned above). But if someone want to proceed sequentiall downwards with the id's - I think we can figure out the martial arts films.

http://www.hoker.com.tw/dvd/product_info.php?products_id=518

Steve

I poked around their site some more and I think that these are the pages of interest:Hoker dvds (9 pages).

I think these are new releases:

New Releases?

I don't think you can order directly from Hoker, though. I do see some interesting titles like The Legend of Mother Goddess and The Saviour Monk, but no telling if they're subbed.

Stephen LaRocque

I've started compiling a list of Taiwan DVD's out there. I've managed to get this far from Yes Asia - most are from either Hoker or Central Motion Picture Company. I can't say for sure which have subs or not.

So far this is what I don't own - there are maybe 100 more I own, not in the list (mostly I own an HK press, or it's a title from this thread I ordered). I've also purchased Fusian or Rarescope pressings of several Hoker titles (different prints?). Others like Battle For The Republic of China I have on order - hoping it has burned in subs...I'll post in one of the Shaw forums once I know.

It looks like Joy Sales in Hong Kong has been reissuing from Hoker a lot of the 70's Romance titles and they don't have subs except 4 films - so I'll guess that most Hoker's are also unsubbed. But if anyone wants to research this list out - feel free to do so.

To make a more complete list - go to Yes Asia - Chinese Films - Taiwan - DVD. There's 29 pages worth but as Hoker's site is rather cumbersome for english speakers, Yes Asia might be easier. Scanning through Hoker, it looks like Yes Asia's catalogue might still be missing around a dozen titles.

I apologize for any typos.

37 Plots of Kung Fu

A Drifting Live

A Little monk

A Man of Immortality

A Pinwheel Without Wind

A Unseen Trigger

A Woman and Seven Husbands

Aliens in Taiwan

An Eccentric Person

Ann Ann

Banana Paradise

Baseball Boys

Be Careful, Sweetheart

Be My Lovely Child Again

Bear Hug

Bruce Tuan - 7 Promise

Business Knave

Catch

Chocolate Rap

Chou Cheng to Reach Taiwan

Da Tou Zi

Doctor

Dolly Lee

Dragon Eye Congee

Eight Hundred Heroes

Execution in Autumn

Falling in Love

Fei Yue Bu Xi

First Come, First Love

Five Friends of Tai-Pao's

Flag of Honour

Flower's Taste

Fu Ziao

Ganglamedo

Ghost Story

Go! Go! G-Boys

God Man Dog

Golden Leaves

Gone With Honor

Gone With the Cloud

Handsome vagabond

Haze in the Sunset

He Heals and Kills

He Is My Brother

He Never Gives Up

Hero vs Hero

Heroes of the Eastern Skies

Honor the Father

How Romantic is OK

How Young

Hui Chia

I Am Another Yourself

I Love How You Love Me

Indebted for Life and love

Jade Goddess

Keeping Watch

Lady's Lucky Jacket

Lamen of the Sand River

Let It Be

Lethal Hook

Lin Tou Jie

Lonely Hearts Club

Long Way From Home

Love, Love, Love

Love and Sword

Love is Smoke

Love of May

Loves of a Small Town Doctor

Make a Right Decision

Man's River

March of Happiness

Meeting With Vajrasattva

Melody From Heaven

Melody of Love, The

Ming Ghost

Misty Drizzle

Moon Night Cutter

Ms. Cupid

Murmur of Youth

My Football Summer

My Grand Pa's Home

My Sweet Memory

Name is Woman

Night Orchid

Not Coming Home Today

Not For Love or Money

Oncemore in the Evening

Painted Waves of Love

Posterity and Perplexity

Purple Night

Red Persimmon

Red Sky

Rhythm of the Wave

Run Way

Second Spring of Mr Mur

September Song

Sir, Tell Me WHy

Small Station

Spring Comes Not Again

Spring in Autumn

Spring Morning Flying Cloud

Stars

Super Student

the Eighteen Jade Arhats

The Army

The Blood of Yingzhou District

The Bride in the Fading Go Laser Goldmine

The Campus Incidents

The Clouds Know You Name

The Clown & The Swan

The Denouement of Chu Liu Hsian

The Digger + The Sunona Player

The Eternal Love

The Everlasting Glory

The Funny General

The Hoblest Way to Die

The Land of the Brave

The Lawman

The Legend of Broken Sword

The Legend of Mother Goddess

The Lost Romance

The Mob Family

The Moon Also Rises

The Naughty Beauty

The Outsiders

The Passage

The Phantom Lute

The Pioneers

The Red Phoenix

The Return

The Romance of the West Chamber

The Saviour-Monk

The Second Occasion

The Secret in the Wind

The Story of Pei-Li

The Stupid Birds the Sky

The Unknown Man

The Valiant Villan

The Wall

The Way to Happiness

The Widow Takes Revenge

The Windows of the Mind

Tiao Chan

Two Ugly Men

Underground Wife

Untold Storm

Upto Rainbow

Venturer

What on Earth Have I Done Wrong

White Cuckooflower

White Jasmine

Who Dare Challenge Me

Who is the Murder

Why I Love You

Woman With Knife

Yu Yen

My order arrived this morning. A quick rundown:

Touch of Zen - It is Parts 1 & 2. Removeable English subs. When comparing it to Tai Sengs disc -- Tai Seng subbed everything, signs & credits, in large black outlined yellow letters. Hoker's subs are medium sized white. Some spelling and grammar errors that the Tai Seng lacks, but otherwise they're pretty good. Picture is pretty much (dirt & dammage) the same except the Hoker color is richer, while the Tai Seng colors look a bit faded (in comparison). Unless the color pushes you one way or another, I'd say the Tai Seng disc has the edge because of the subs. Hoker's cover is way cooler movie poster.

Dragon Inn - Removeable English subs. Some dirt & damage. Color looks good.

Both of these wouldn't play in my dedicated R1 player; I got a disc error. Mine is a pretty old toshiba (SD-1600), so I'm thinking it's some funky disc authoring issue, that the player couldn't handle, but a newer one could. All the other discs played fine on it.

Iron Petticoat (aka Iron Mistress) - It has removeable English subs which automatically moves it a notch above the Rarescope disc, which has burnt in English/Chinese subs. Otherwise, both have dirt & damage and don't appear to have any major picture quality differences (I haven't wathed either disc all the way through though).

The Swordsman of All Swordsmen - Removeable English subs. Some dirt & damage. Color looks good.

The Fly Dragon Mountain - Removeable English subs. Some dirt & damage. Color looks good.

My order arrived today as well. I bought Swordsman of all Swordsman, Fly Dragon Mountain and Valiant Villain. The cover's all have what I assume is the original poster artwork and the Swordsman of all Swordsman and Fly Dragon Mountain DVDs also included slip-cases.

I've only had time to take a quick look at Swordsman of all Swordsmen so far. It's non-anamorphic, but the picture is quite nice. Some other things I noticed:

- The menus are in Chinese only and (at least on my player) selecting anything other than the first entry takes me to the Chapter select.

- A huge font is used for the subs (but they're in the black bar so they don't obscure the picture).

- There were several 1 second or so audio drop-outs during the credits. I assume this is a problem with the source audio. Anyone else notice this?

Overall, I'm very happy with these. I hope to get the other releases soon.

I think the only title released since the last batch is "The Decisive Battle". YesAsia lists it as having English subtitles. One Hoker release that definitely does not have English subtitles is "A Valiant Villain" (it's still fairly easy to follow for the most part though).

I ordered these from yesasia:

The Grant Passion

Black Invitation

A Girl Fighter

The Ghost Hill (DVD) (Taiwan Version)

A City Called Dragon (DVD) (Taiwan Version)

Prosperous Of Family (DVD) (Hong Kong Version)

Painted Skin (1993) (DVD) (Taiwan Version)

Goldenward Series Of Chinese Movies - A Valiant Villain (oh well...)

But they've been sitting since 04-NOV while yesasia tries to find The Girl Fighter and The Grant Passion. Missed The Decisive Battle somehow, pick it up later...

Will do a quick run through when I get them (December?), unless someone beats me to the punch.

Archived