Taiwan disks with english subtitles

Stephen LaRocque

Stephen LaRocque

I recently bought Brave and the Evil from Yes Asia and noticed that Iron Petticoat, Swordsman of all Swordsman and Fly Dragon Mountain also have subs.

Are there any other vintage martial arts titles from Hoker out there with subs, or without?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hoker have released several other similar titles in the past - I don't have a list, but I'm sure that none had English subtitles. HKFlix.com lists "A Valiant Villain" and "He Heals And Kills" as previous releases from Hoker.

Are the subs on these new releases removable or are they the burned in theatrical subs? Also, Yes Asia lists their aspect ratio as 1.33:1 - is this correct or are the actually widescreen? Either way, I plan on getting them - thanks for the heads up.

Stephen LaRocque

I'm not sure if the subs are burned in or not for the disks as I haven't ordered them yet. I'm waiting to see if there are others so I can do them as one order.

"Prosperous of Family" is also available with subtitles but "Battle for the Republic of China" - the Shaw Bros/Central Film Corporation production isnt...

Guest Markgway
"Prosperous of Family" is also available with subtitles but "Battle for the Republic of China" - the Shaw Bros/Central Film Corporation production isnt...

Isn't available... or isn't available with subtitles?

Stephen LaRocque

sorry - Battle For the Republic of China is available on DVD from Taiwan at Yes Asia but with no subtitles. Too bad as it's on my Shaw gaps "must have" want list.

Celestial appararanely had HK rights, but it looks like Taiwan rights reside with whoever has access to the Central Motion Picture titles.

A note for anyone considering buying these - I just realized that "Iron Petticoat" is an AKA for "Iron Mistress", which was released last year by Crash. In fact, I wonder if these new Hoker releases are coming from the same lot of "discovered" prints that the Crash/Fusion releases were sourced from - I know Swordsman of all Swordsmen was in that lot, but never released. I wish I still had a copy of that list...

I have taiwan versions of love & sword, sword called revenge, and the lost swordship, all subbed, from Hoker. The descriptions say "no subs", though. The subs are burned in on each. Honestly, I think the subs are burned into all of their older releases. Also, the description for swordsmen of all swordsmen said there were no subs right up until a few days ago.

Guest Markgway
sorry - Battle For the Republic of China is available on DVD from Taiwan at Yes Asia but with no subtitles. Too bad as it's on my Shaw gaps "must have" want list.

Pity. I too would like to see that. I suppose someone fluent in Mandarin could do an English sub translation.

Even if there are English subs, wouldn't they be hard to read since most of the films are released full-framed?

What are the films that are released in cinemascope and with English subs?

These I would definitely collect.

The movies I listed above were all widescreen. I think all of their releases are really widescreen and that very many of them are actually subbed despite descriptions. More & more of the hoker discs are being listed as subbed by yesasia. Fire Bulls is another one that has subs but it is listed as unsubbed. The same for A Valiant Villian.

edit- painted skin is subbed, too. I'm think that 18 Jade Arhats is subbed as well.

To think that I put them all back on the shelves when I could have collected them all during my last trip to Taipei.......

They're really cheap in Taipei......around US$2.90 per title.

To think that I put them all back on the shelves when I could have collected them all during my last trip to Taipei.......

They're really cheap in Taipei......around US$2.90 per title.

Dude, what's your problem? :l

I bought these in chinatown. Its hard to tell from the packaging what's inside. I'd ask the salesman at the shop, but he hardly spoke english, so I bought them blind waiting to find they were sub-less. They all had subs, tho. They had General Stone, but I passed on that because people here said it was awful. I guess that was subbed too.

tantao3-son of tantao2

Union Company from Taiwan produced 30 movies, from 66/67, starting with Dragon Inn, till 1977 (September Song). So far 14 are released by Hoker Records Taiwan, ALL have English subtitles...

Union Company from Taiwan produced 30 movies, from 66/67, starting with Dragon Inn, till 1977 (September Song). So far 14 are released by Hoker Records Taiwan, ALL have English subtitles...

Hi,

Does the hoker dragon inn have subs?

thanks!

h

Here is a list I'm starting to compile of English subbed releases. I'll try to start with the Union Company releases:

Gone With The Cloud

September Song

The Brave And The Evil

Swordsmen Of All Swordsmen

Fly Dragon Mountain (Was this produced by Union?)

Dragon Inn (Does this have subs?)

Touch Of Zen (Does this have subs?)

Iron Petticoat (I think this was produced by Union)

Legend Of The Broken Sword & The Lawman both star Roc Tien. I don't know if they have subs, though.

tantao3-son of tantao2

..when I am telling ALL have English subtitles...Dragon Inn has English subtitles for sure...ALL means ALL...otherwise I would have told it to the "scholars" of this board...

..when I am telling ALL have English subtitles...Dragon Inn has English subtitles for sure...ALL means ALL...otherwise I would have told it to the "scholars" of this board...

Thanks for the information, my friend. I was looking for a union films filmography & can't find anything. Would you be able to list the 14 union films that Hoker has put out?

Thanks again

h

Dragon Inn and A Touch of Zen are both listed without eng subs and as being released by Taisheng Multimedia on yesasia. Is this the same company as Hoker?

Well with Yesasia's trackrecord of not having correct specs in the past, we will have to wait and trust member's who buy these to really see what has subs and what doesn't.

tantao3-son of tantao2

...as I told you, ALL Union Hoker releases have English subtitles and are widescreen...

cool down, tantao3. as it's well known, there are LOTS of bullshit-talkers on the internet, so HAZ is just happy that someone else confirmed it, nothing else. it just proved YOU are not one of that sort.

Does anyone know if there is anywhere that I can get A Touch of Zen by itself? I see it on Yesasia but it comes with Dragon Inn and Painted Skin, and I already have those.

tantao3-son of tantao2

For HAZ...

Union Filmography:

Dragon Inn, 1967

Morning Mist, 1968

The Swordsman Of All Swordsmen, 1968

The Knight Of Old Cathay, 1968

The Melody Of Love, 1969

Iron Mistress (or Iron Petticoat),1969

Black Invitation, 1969

A Touch Of Zen, Part 1, 1970, A Touch Of Zen Part 2, 1973

Prosperous Of Family, 1970