Donnie Yen's Kicking

GH0STFACEDKILLR

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

His kicks look great in every movie I have seen, but my favorite kicking displays are probably Legend of the Wolf and Iron Monkey.

It's a shame he's become pretty predictable with his kicking and the angles he chooses for them, but he's a great kicker.

He's not overly flexible, but he does know how to make his kicks look good.

He has some nice kicking in In the Line of Duty 4. Also in his TV series Fist of Fury there was 1 fight against Clubfioot I think which was very good.

Iron Monkey and LOTW were nice as well.

his kicking looked the best in Tiger Cage films, In the Line of Duty 4, Iron Monkey, Legend of the Wolf, Highlander 4, Hero and Flash Point imo.

Yeah his kicking was great in SPL against Sammo and in Flashpoint. Also Tiger Cage 2 and In the Line of Duty 4 against Michael Woods doing some great combo kicking. I just hated those films like Legend of the Wolf and the Fist of Fury tv series where they went way overboard with the undercranking.

Yeah his kicking was great in SPL against Sammo and in Flashpoint. Also Tiger Cage 2 and In the Line of Duty 4 against Michael Woods doing some great combo kicking. I just hated those films like Legend of the Wolf and the Fist of Fury tv series where they went way overboard with the undercranking.

Yeah, and LOTW also had the 'cropping' issue and too fast edits, so the camera was too close to the action.

The fight I mentioned in the FOF tv series was OK though. The rest of series' fights were, as you said, ruined by the undercranking and such.

It's a shame Tiger Cage 2 still hasnt had a dvd release. I have never seen it.

Guest WuxiaFan

I think Yen's best kicking performance (without a weapon) was Iron Monkey, especially his fight with Dr. Yang (Yu Rong Guang). Then you have the fight sequences with the Shaolin "punks" and the initial run-in with the corrupted, former Shaolin monk (can't remember his name). I wasn't crazy about the final fight scene on the poles, though.

Yen's best scenes (with a weapon) would be SPL against Wu Jing (one of the best fight scenes ever filmed), Hero against Jet Li (spear vs. sword), and OUATIC II, also against Jet Li.

Yen's best scenes (with a weapon) would be SPL against Wu Jing (one of the best fight scenes ever filmed)

*agrees* Baton vs knife has never looked so real, dangerous or sexy.

I think Yen's best kicking performance (without a weapon) was Iron Monkey, especially his fight with Dr. Yang (Yu Rong Guang). Then you have the fight sequences with the Shaolin "punks" and the initial run-in with the corrupted, former Shaolin monk (can't remember his name). I wasn't crazy about the final fight scene on the poles, though.

Yen's best scenes (with a weapon) would be SPL against Wu Jing (one of the best fight scenes ever filmed), Hero against Jet Li (spear vs. sword), and OUATIC II, also against Jet Li.

I agree, however I think the best scene filmed was not the finale in Quatic II, but the pre fight, shaft against shaft.

If you are looking for modern kicks, LOTW, if looking for traditional style, Iron Monkey

*agrees* Baton vs knife has never looked so real, dangerous or sexy.

in the killzone dvd donnie said that this fight between him and wu jing was imprved. which makes it look all the better

in the killzone dvd donnie said that this fight between him and wu jing was imprved. which makes it look all the better

Yep. Take two guys who are actually martial artists and let em loose. You could totally tell spots in that fight where Donnie and Wu Jing were improvising...Wu looked like he was having a blast filming that scene, too ;)

Real martial artists >>>>>>> actors with wires and CGI and editing.

Yep. Take two guys who are actually martial artists and let em loose. You could totally tell spots in that fight where Donnie and Wu Jing were improvising...Wu looked like he was having a blast filming that scene, too ;)

Amen to that! :)

Tiger Cage 2 has to be the one for a Donnie kicking showcase (he has to fight with his hands tied together for one thing!)

That was the film that put Donnie Yen on the map for me. Which reminds me. We haven't seen his trademark double kick jump for a while, or the two kick spinning jump.

it takes more then being a "real" martial artist, you have to be a screen fighter as well, there alot of shaw bros actors who were not trained martial artist, and i also seem to remember reading the frankie chan was also not a trained martial artist. i've seen movies with guys with all this training and they suck on screen. so i think a trained screen fighter needs to be added as well as martial arts

Guest WuxiaFan
I agree, however I think the best scene filmed was not the finale in Quatic II, but the pre fight, shaft against shaft.

If you are looking for modern kicks, LOTW, if looking for traditional style, Iron Monkey

That's the scene I meant [staff vs staff], not the finale. I have not seen LOTW, but I will check it out.

Guest WuxiaFan

That's why its one of the greatest fight scenes ever filmed.

Archived