Jade Dagger Ninja (1981)

Guest Markgway

Guest Markgway

I suspect this is an Ocean Shore retitle as I don't think the film was released theatrically in HK.

So which is the original Taiwanese title: Shaolin Fox Conspiracy or Forest Duel?

Or is it something else?

Thanx.

Being that there are several Jade Dagger Ninja threads , I decided to post here because this one seemed more about the very movie and less about the best available release. Mods, feel free to move this post as you see fit in case you don't approve of my choice.

Also, there are a couple of reviews scattered around, so maybe they could all be moved into an individual title thread?

Anyways, the purpose of this post is actually me having a couple of questions needing an answer. So here they are.

1. I have a theory that Li Chao-Yung is a Korean director. On Everlasting Chivalry and A Hero's Tears he's signed as Li Ju Yeong/Li Jau-Yeong which seems like a Korean name. If you look at his pics on HKMDB, he even looks Korean. Being that Charng Shan, also Korean born, starred in Taiwanese kung fu movies because Taiwan was a bigger market back in the day and that Won-Jin got named Yuen Jan while making movies in Hong Kong, could it be Li Chao-Yung was actually Korean but was just directing movies in Taiwan and got a Chinese name while working there?

2. Roc Tien's character is first called Liu Hsiao-Feng (HKMDB) and later on Flying Fox in the movie. Is his character the famous Gu Long's Lu Xiaofeng which appeared in Clan of Amazons (1978) or Jing Yong's Flying Fox from Legend of the Fox (1980) as suggested in The Spinning Image review? Or is it neither perhaps?

3. This is a weapon question. I can't find any information on these two weapons used in the movie. Are they real or made for the movie? @DrNgor might help on this one. The first is the one Kam Kong uses when he goes into Hulk mode and the other one is used by Heartbreak Warrior when fighting Roc Tien's character. Here are the screenshots.

vlcsnap-2022-02-14-23h29m34s623.png

vlcsnap-2022-02-14-23h34m33s869.png

vlcsnap-2022-02-14-23h36m27s723.png

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang
On 2/15/2022 at 12:24 AM, Super Ninja said:

2. Roc Tien's character is first called Liu Hsiao-Feng (HKMDB) and later on Flying Fox in the movie. Is his character the famous Gu Long's Lu Xiaofeng which appeared in Clan of Amazons (1978) or Jing Yong's Flying Fox from Legend of the Fox (1980) as suggested in The Spinning Image review? Or is it neither perhaps?

The original title as listed in the hkmdb 寒山 飛 狐 translates to cold mountain flying fox, and it thus so close to Jin Yong's novel title 雪 山 飛 狐 snow mountain flying fox that I assume the movie deals with the Flying Fox character but not Gu Long's Lu Xiao Feng. It probably merges both Jin Yong novels including Hu Fei, the Flying Fox character. I have to hunt it down, I love this kind of movie. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

The original title as listed in the hkmdb 寒山 飛 狐 translates to cold mountain flying fox, and it thus so close to Jin Yong's novel title 雪 山 飛 狐 snow mountain flying fox that I assume the movie deals with the Flying Fox character but not Gu Long's Lu Xiao Feng. It probably merges both Jin Yong novels including Hu Fei, the Flying Fox character. I have to hunt it down, I love this kind of movie. 

Thanks @Chu Liu Hsiang, I'd say that solves the Roc Tien question.

The idea of him playing the Liu Xiao Feng character actually came from @ShawAngela's review, I've searched the forum and looked for various reviews online as part of my research before watching the movie. The description of Lu Xiao Feng also didn't match the Roc Tien's appearance in the movie, as Liu is said to be sporting a moustache that resembles his eyebrows which makes him look like he's got four eyebrows.

This now kinda begs the question whether JDN took anything else from Jin Yong's novel(s), other than the Flying Fox character, but even if so, I think we can be pretty sure it's no adaptation. If anything, I'd say Chu Hsiang-Kan mixed a little bit of everything in his script. One of the four kings from the movie looks almost identical to Fan Chih, character played by Fei Lung in The Dream Sword (1979) also directed by Li Chao-Yung and also written by Chu Hsiang-Kan.

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

I just watched it, and like it. Has someone seen the original version and can confirm that the Roc Tien char is first called LXF and then FF, maybe it's just a sloppy dub that puzzles us?  From what I recall from the FF novels the plot is not related, been a while since I read them though. Who is the person Roc Tien meets when passing out from the poison dust? More plot holes than usually. Nice wuxia movie nevertheless, would love to see an appropriate version.

• Like 3

The only version I had until a fex years ago was a French dubbed dvd that was badly cut (the movie stopped when the guy became a kind of lion !). I don't remember to have mentioned Lu Xiao Feng, I should revisit my own reviews ! :monk_laughing:If I did mention him, it's maybe because Tien Peng was called this way in the French version.

As I said, a few years ago, I got the original vcd of this movie, but I still haven't had time to watch it and I don't even remember if it's in English or in  Mandarin with English subtitles. i'll try to watch it as soon as I'll find a while.

• Like 4